The First Trump Impeachment Thread

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ummmm, no...I think we should worry about issues in the US first...

I also think that Estonia should focus on issues in Estonia first and so on.

and yet you also said this

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

we should not help other countries.  

Just now, teachercd said:

We should not help other countries...we should focus on this country first.

You don't?  

with trumps economic policies...we may not be able to help anyone soon.  he is bankrupting us.  but we have been the worlds strongest nation because we shared the wealth.   we helped people when they needed help and had the respect of most of the world for that reason.  but the last 3 years has done a lot to change that.   we are now the butt of the joke thanks to trump and the GOP

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, commando said:

with trumps economic policies...we may not be able to help anyone soon.  he is bankrupting us.  but we have been the worlds strongest nation because we shared the wealth.   we helped people when they needed help and had the respect of most of the world for that reason.  but the last 3 years has done a lot to change that.   we are now the butt of the joke thanks to trump and the GOP

Sure,Trump is horrible and is bankrupting America, I agree with that,  but that was not what my statement was and it was not my question to you...

I think we should help America first and then other countries.  Are you saying that we should help other countries first and worry about America last?

Sure, but that was not what my statement was and it was not my question to you...

I think we should help America first and then other countries.  Are you saying that we should help other countries first and worry about America last?

bulls#!t. you said we should help no one.   of course we help ourselves....but with our greatest economy ever ...according to the trumpers ...we can't even afford to help ourselves.   something is wrong there.   and you seem to be buying into it when you say we should help no one.   

• Plus1 2

Just now, commando said:

bulls#!t. you said we should help no one.   of course we help ourselves....but with our greatest economy ever ...according to the trumpers ...we can't even afford to help ourselves.   something is wrong there.   and you seem to be buying into it when you say we should help no one.   

We should not help anyone until we help ourselves.  That is what I said and that is what I believe.  Just like you should help your family before you help my family.  

I can't believe you would even argue this.  If you really don't believe in what I am saying...could I please give you my Venmo account information so that you can send me money?

We should not help anyone until we help ourselves.  That is what I said and that is what I believe.  Just like you should help your family before you help my family.  

I can't believe you would even argue this.  If you really don't believe in what I am saying...could I please give you my Venmo account information so that you can send me money?

so...you are saying that i am saying that we should help others and not ourselves?   please show the class where i said that.  

eh...never mind.   you are not worth the time.   good night.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

so...you are saying that i am saying that we should help others and not ourselves?   please show the class where i said that.  

I have no idea what you are saying, that is why I am asking.

Here do this.  Pick one...

1.  We should do all we can to fix the problems in America first (Homeless, healthcare, crime, ect)

2.  We should help other countries first.

3.  We should try to help everyone in the world equally

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I have no idea what you are saying, that is why I am asking.

Here do this.  Pick one...

1.  We should do all we can to fix the problems in America first (Homeless, healthcare, crime, ect)

2.  We should help other countries first.

you are just being dense.   good night 

9 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm still trying to understand the argument against allowing witnesses to testify. All I see is, D's in the house should have done the leg work to get those witnesses to testify but they didn't. But as someone not married to either party and not balls deep in reading up on politics every day - I want to know what happened. Maybe I'm an idiot and don't understand how these things work - but if this we're a murder trail, and we had 5 dudes who witnessed the alleged murder - shouldn't we hear what they have to say before we decide if laws were broke and what laws were broke? I wasn't old enough to follow the Clinton Impeachment, so maybe this is just how things work? Help me understand why anyone wouldn't want more information on how this went down?

Witnesses are called to testify as to disputed facts so the jury can decide whose facts are true.  In your example if the shooter says "Yes I killed him, I shot him in self-defense," you don't call witnesses to say he was present at the scene or what kind of gun was used.  Those facts are agreed upon.  

The important facts of this 'case' are all already known.  We know what $$ was supposed to go to the UKR, when it was delayed, when they got it, and what Trump said to them.  The only interesting question was the legal definition of "other high crimes and misdemeanors" for which you need a college degree worth of background just to base a decent opinion.

IN Clinton's trial the facts were mostly known so the Senate settled for taking depositions of a few people in private and then entering the transcript into the offical record.

8 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Actually that makes more sense. So the R’s are saying, yes Trump tied aid to helping him in his re-election, but there is nothing wrong with that, he’s guilty of what the D’s are saying, but it’s a non issue.

Another question - are these things not black and white? To my (HS Civics level) knowledge, it seems encouraging foreign interference and and tying American dollars to assisting a politician in an American election would break a law? I could say, hey I shoplifted but I’m short on cash and needed a meal, so it’s a non issue - but at the end of the day the law is black and white and  despite my intentions I crossed a line I cannot cross.

The House could have charged Trump with a crime like wire fraud but chose not to. Instead the D's position is it was not necessary to prove that Trump violated the black letter law.    Rather a general category luike "abuse of power" counts as "other HCOMs."  Unlike shoplifting, that 'crime' doesn't have a definition that will tell you what is or isn't an abuse.  

And so @Decoy73 there's 1 more thing; the 5th or 6th best reason for the Senate didn't need to call witnesses is that the Ds can still do it any time that they want.  The Courts will be open even on Superbowl Monday and they can subpoena Bolton, Trump, and Stormy Daniels; who can contest it in court like any American Citizen.  But no law says it's the Senate's job to patch the holes the House left in their case.  In American justice it's absolutely illegal for the judge and jury to go out and do their own investigations. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

In American justice it's absolutely illegal for the judge and jury to go out and do their own investigations. 

In American justice new witnesses and evidence is brought into courtrooms on a daily basis by prosecutors or even by the defense. It is common practice to review new information and testimony as a trial is a search for the truth therefor if any new information can be made available to the court it will be made available