The First Trump Impeachment Thread

Full Stone trial team resigns.   This is how dictators take control.  Change the definition of right and wrong, innocence & guilt,  justice & injustice.   Pardons for friends and criminals, purge the honorable.      Hitler's Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels would be so proud as would his Minister of Justice Franz Schlegelberger 

https://apnews.com/f9addeca0df46d91442701d1420ed046

The four lawyers who prosecuted Roger Stone quit the case after the Justice Department overruled them and said it would take the extraordinary step of lowering the amount of prison time it would seek for President Donald Trump’s longtime ally and confidant.

The departures on Tuesday raised immediate questions over whether Trump, who earlier in the day had blasted the original sentencing recommendation as “very horrible and unfair,” had at least indirectly exerted his will on a Justice Department that he often views as an arm of the White House.

The department insisted the decision to undo the sentencing recommendation was made Monday night — before Trump’s tweet — and prosecutors had not spoken to the White House about it. Even so, the departures of the entire trial team broke open a simmering dispute over the punishment of a Trump ally whose case has long captured the Republican president’s attention. The episode was the latest to entangle the Justice Department, meant to operate free from White House sway in criminal investigations and prosecutions, in presidential politics.

The four attorneys, including two who were early members of special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia team, comprised the entire Justice Department trial team that won convictions against Stone last fall.

Each had signed onto a Monday sentencing memo that recommended between seven and nine years in prison for Stone, who was convicted of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstructing the House investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia to tip the 2016 election. None lent their names to a Tuesday memo that called the original recommendation excessive.

The departures leave in limbo the resolution of a case that was one of the signature prosecutions of Mueller’s team and that cut to the heart of his mission — to determine whether the Trump team had access to nonpublic information about Democratic emails hacked by Russian operatives and provided to WikiLeaks.

Trump was back on the attack late Tuesday, slamming the original sentencing recommendation and questioning the judge overseeing the Stone case. And by early Wednesday, he had tweeted a congratulations to Attorney General William Barr “for taking charge of a case that was totally out of control and perhaps should not have been brought,” suggesting the prosecutors had gone rogue.

• Plus1 2

The bold below is chilling.  If you disagree with dear leader, reprisal is coming and to be expected.  He is a thin skinned, wimp, mentally imbalanced person who has been given power and authority - what possibly could go wrong with that mix :dunno

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-war-against-deep-state-131932682.html

WASHINGTON — As far as President Donald Trump is concerned, banishing Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman from the White House and exiling him back to the Pentagon was not enough. If he had his way, the commander in chief made clear Tuesday, the Defense Department would now take action against the colonel, too.

“That’s going to be up to the military,” Trump told reporters who asked whether Vindman should face disciplinary action after testifying in the House hearings that led to the president’s impeachment. “But if you look at what happened,” Trump added in threatening terms, “I mean they’re going to, certainly, I would imagine, take a look at that.”

This is an unsettled time in Trump’s Washington. In the days since he was acquitted in a Senate trial, an aggrieved and unbound president has sought to even the scales as he sees it. Vindman was abruptly marched by security out of the White House, an ambassador who also testified in the House hearings was summarily dismissed, and senior Justice Department officials Tuesday intervened on behalf of Trump’s convicted friend, Roger Stone, leading four career prosecutors to quit the case.

More axes are sure to fall. A senior Pentagon official appears in danger of losing her nomination to a top Defense Department post after questioning the president’s suspension of aid to Ukraine. Likewise, a prosecutor involved in Stone’s case has lost a nomination to a senior Treasury Department position. A key National Security Council official is said by colleagues to face dismissal. And the last of dozens of career officials being transferred out of the White House may be gone by the end of the week.

The war between Trump and what he calls the “deep state” has entered a new, more volatile phase as the president seeks to assert greater control over a government that he is convinced is not sufficiently loyal to him. With no need to worry about Congress now that he has been acquitted of two articles of impeachment, the president has shown a renewed willingness to act even if it prompts fresh complaints about violating traditional norms.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The bold below is chilling.  If you disagree with dear leader, reprisal is coming and to be expected.  He is a thin skinned, wimp, mentally imbalanced person who has been given power and authority - what possibly could go wrong with that mix :dunno

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-war-against-deep-state-131932682.html

the far right takeover of the country is almost complete.    we might...i repeat "might"...have a chance to reverse it this fall.   i am not 100% certain that trump will leave if the vote goes against him...and his army of hard right supporters will go to war if he calls for them to do so.  i hope i am wrong about that....but i can very easily imagine trump doing whatever he can to stay in power.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, commando said:

the far right takeover of the country is almost complete.    we might...i repeat "might"...have a chance to reverse it this fall.   i am not 100% certain that trump will leave if the vote goes against him...and his army of hard right supporters will go to war if he calls for them to do so.  i hope i am wrong about that....but i can very easily imagine trump doing whatever he can to stay in power.  

With what he is doing in the justice dept, I have no doubt he's dug up dirt on any GOPer who may want to 'defect'.  Trump most likely knows that once he steps out from under the umbrella of the WH and its protection, he will be indited and most likely sent to jail. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

John Kelly, speaks his mind about Trump - trump was wrong about Ukraine, NK, pardoning 

Eddie Gallagher,  & immigration.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/02/john-kelly-alexander-vindman-north-korea-and-trump/606496/

Strong words from the guy making money off locking up children and separating them from their parents.

https://www.businessinsider.com/john-kelly-new-role-will-profit-from-child-separation-policy-2019-5

• Plus1 3

1,2 , 3, 4  when does Barr hit the door?     Barr is critical of Trump and his tweets.

(Of course Trump may have given him permission to speak thusly to 'give the appearance' of being independent of Trump) 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr-blasts-trumps-tweets-stone-case-impossible-job/story?id=68963276

In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

1,2 , 3, 4  when does Barr hit the door?     Barr is critical of Trump and his tweets.

(Of course Trump may have given him permission to speak thusly to 'give the appearance' of being independent of Trump) 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr-blasts-trumps-tweets-stone-case-impossible-job/story?id=68963276

trumps tweets expose that barr is working for trump.   barr is asking for donnie to stop admitting that barr is doing his dirty work