The First Trump Impeachment Thread

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think the proliferation of hate speech, minority voter suppression, and immigrant bashing makes a good case, but this woman is holding up a t-shirt that says otherwise, so perhaps I'll have to rethink everything. 

That article reminds me of Carlos Correa saying he doesn't want to be known as the team that cheated to win a World Series.

Well sorry bud, but that's exactly what you were...

another one bites the dust - post acquittal 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ousts-top-defense-official-163101053.html

President Donald Trump has ousted the Pentagon's top policy official who had certified last year that Ukraine had made enough anti-corruption progress to justify the Trump administration's release of congressionally authorized aid to Kyiv in its conflict against Russian-backed separatists.

John Rood resigned Wednesday, saying he was leaving at Trump's request.

The Trump administration's delay in releasing the aid to Ukraine was central to the president's impeachment by the House on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The Senate voted to acquit the president. But in the wake of the Senate trial, an emboldened Trump has gone after officials he has perceived as being disloyal.

Rood is the latest official to be purged. His forced resignation comes as Democrats on the Hill express concerns that Trump is on a vendetta in the wake of his acquittal. Just days after the Senate vote, the White House reassigned an Army officer, Lt. Col. Alex Vindman, a key witness in the impeachment inquiry, from the National Security Council, and pushed his twin brother, an NSC lawyer, out with him. Gordon Sondland, Trump's ambassador to the European Union who also was a key witness before House investigators, was recalled from his post.

Senator Deb finally got back to me per impeachment. She says it's the House D's fault for not getting enough evidence, and since it's not her job - the new evidence is not her problem. She also assured me she was a fair and impartial juror. Of course her email came from an email I cannot reply to, so I guess that is that. Thanks Senator Deb! 

47 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Senator Deb finally got back to me per impeachment. She says it's the House D's fault for not getting enough evidence, and since it's not her job - the new evidence is not her problem. She also assured me she was a fair and impartial juror. Of course her email came from an email I cannot reply to, so I guess that is that. Thanks Senator Deb! 

I got that letter too. Makes her look one of two ways. Clearly a biased liar who’s unwilling to do anything to cross their dear leader and therefore puts the nation second or just simply horribly incompetent as a Senator. Could be both.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Any chance you kind people could post the actual text?

Thank you for contacting me about the impeachment trial for President Trump.

As you know, Article One of the Constitution stipulates that impeachment proceedings must originate in the House of Representatives and grants the Senate with the sole power to try an impeachment. On December 18, 2019, following its inquiry, the House voted to approve the impeachment articles for President Donald Trump.

The Senate begins every impeachment trial by voting on a set of rules to govern the proceedings. The rules for this trial were proposed in Senate Resolution 483, which was modeled after the procedures adopted during the impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton in 1999. The House managers and the president's defense team each had time equally divided to make their case. Senators also submitted questions in writing, which were read aloud by Chief Justice John Roberts. Each side spent two days answering the questions of the Senators.

After closing arguments, Senators considered introducing additional evidence. I ultimately opposed this measure because senators had already received the same information the House used to pass the articles of impeachment. It is the responsibility of the House to conduct impeachment investigations -- to support specific charges with related evidence -- not the Senate's. The House managers presented 192 video clips containing testimony from 13 witnesses, and submitted more than 28,000 pages of documents. Additionally, senators were able to ask 180 questions of the House managers and the president's counsel for clarifications on their arguments. Furthermore, none of this evidence charged the president with a single crime.

On February 5, 2020, the Senate voted on each article of impeachment, separately. I voted to acquit the president on both articles because the House managers failed to make a compelling case that the president should be removed from office. Fewer than two-thirds of senators voted to convict on each article of impeachment, which resulted in acquittal of the president.

I took an oath to uphold the Constitution and to be an impartial juror during the trial. I have given fair and careful consideration to the evidence presented during this trial and engaged in the questioning process. It is time for Congress to move forward and return to the people's business.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I am always ready to engage in a civil discourse on issues affecting Nebraskans and our nation. Accordingly, I believe it is important for Nebraskans, along with the rest of the country, to continue working toward reconciling tensions that persist and reuniting around our shared values as Americans. I remain committed to working with my colleagues in Congress to advance policies that improve the daily lives of the people of Nebraska and this nation.

Sincerely,

Deb Fischer

United States Senator

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That reminds me of a "Town Hall" Romney hosted at my middle school auditorium.  After the speech, the host took the microphone and handed it to 3 people in the crowd who asked obviously planted questions; 1 was a little girl who asked if he would keep lead out of toys.  No effort at all came to take questions from the rest of the audience.

Why do I remember such a banal moment in politics?  The banner hung above him said "Ask Mitt Anything."

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Can't she get her story straight with the rest of the Republicans? Rubio, Alexander and Collins said there was plenty of evidence against Trump. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...