The First Trump Impeachment Thread

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

The thing with that analogy is every other Presidents room is relatively clean when I walk in. Trump has his entire toy chest strung out all over the floor and I have his aunts and uncles telling me 'no no no, the room is clean you see, that is how it is supposed to look.'

Shoot, sorry.  I thought you knew I was kidding around.  Maybe you are too.  

My point was that I would not try discuss politics with a 5 year old...but since I am posting in this thread perhaps I would!  ZING!

14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If I was on the left (or on the right and against Trump, in my case) my biggest concern would be that this political stunt is just going to strengthen the resolve of Trump supporters. He's not going to be impeached. Everyone knows, and has known that.

Strengthen their resolve? Trumps ardent approximately 33% are already bat-sh*t crazy, unethical, fact deniers. Do you think calling off impeachment, allowing these authoritarian tactics, is all of a sudden going weaken their resolve or talk some sense into them? 

Setting aside the House's constitutional duty, impeachment proceedings are going to just bring this all to light for that other 67% of America. Even if the Senate abdicates their duty, they will be tying this now public bribery, abuse of power, obstruction of justice, etc. around their necks going into the 2020 elections and beyond. A House impeachment and Senate non-removal isn't going to get Trump more voters. 

On 7/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, QMany said:

Clinton was impeached in the House but acquitted in the Senate...

In the next election, approximately 13 months later, Republicans won the White House and retained the House.

Just because McConnell, Sasse, et al will abdicate their responsibilities does not mean impeachment will be a lost cause.

EDIT: Fun fact, Democrats have more Senate seats now (including the 2 independents that caucus with Democrats) than Republicans did during Clinton's trial.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The Saudi Arabian government buying 500 rooms in Trump's hotels, when Carter had to sell his Peanut farm is what I'd go after...

I still think the pursuit of impeachment will do more harm than good.

Now THAT (Saudi Arabia) would be the one. This Ukraine "scandal" is nothing compared to what could be going on there.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm saying that it's likely every President we've ever had has been impeachable. If you're going to pursue it, you better be sure you're going to get it done... I don't think the Dems are doing that.

And I am saying show me the proof those Presidents did impeachable things. Trump is stomping on the Constitution for everyone to see. It has never been this flagrent and if you think it has I'd like to hear your example. Congress has no choice.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So now you're claiming that "smaller government" is not a right-wing talking point.

Do you want to have an intellectually honest conversation or not?

Depends what you mean by right-wing talking point.

If you mean that "because right-wingers talk about it, it's not valid to contribute to this discussion" then you'd be the one being intellectually dishonest.

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wrong. The only safeguard against corruption is to uphold our constitution. Right-wing talking points about the size of government don't play.  What plays, in an unbiased way, is simply following the rule of law. Period.

Exactly.  Let's just pretend for a moment that our federal govt is as bare-boned as it could possibly be: POTUS, Senate, HOR, and SCOTUS.

If the President was unethical or acting illegally, the HOR & Senate would still exist to hold him accountable.  This is not a situation to argue about smaller government.  While this situation is very complicated and serious, in the grand scheme of government offices, it is happening at the most basic levels of our government.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And I am saying show me the proof those Presidents did impeachable things. Trump is stomping on the Constitution for everyone to see. It has never been this flagrent and if you think it has I'd like to hear your example. Congress has no choice.

The Peter Schweitzer (?) Book, Secret Empires would be a great place for you to start.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Depends what you mean by right-wing talking point.

I mean nonsense like this:

19 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The only true safeguard against corruption in our own government is to DRASTICALLY reduce the size, scope, authority, and responsibilities of the federal government. 

But now you're just talking in circles. Understandable.  But unhelpful.

• Plus1 1