The First Trump Impeachment Thread

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Without reading it I assume this is about Trump talking about lowering the flag for her husband and then she was mean to her. As if lowering the flag was a personal thing Trump decided on his own to do and it should have stopped her from critiquing him.

That was my first thought, anyway. 

People like stories, and people want their stories to have a good guy and a bad guy. 

It's pretty simple, but there's no room for doubt and nuance.

Each side chose its narrative and enemies and there we are.  

Make America Great Again is a slightly better narrative than Anyone But Trump, and I wouldn't bet against his reelection at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And USMCA was strategically brought out by Pelosi during the hearing because she knew it would pass and be a big win for Trump. Politicians are hacks, what else is new?

Just trying to balance out your list.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And USMCA was strategically brought out by Pelosi during the hearing because she knew it would pass and be a big win for Trump. Politicians are hacks, what else is new?

I saw it as Pelosi trying to show that the House is willing to work with Trump even though he’s being impeached.  Perspective matters, right, @Redux:D

But, even though intentions may differ, the fact of the matter is that it did happen.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

FB_IMG_1576800727002.thumb.jpg.c133b9d2abb2aab057010d369efb6bbe.jpg

This is the kind of crap we could start to deal with again if the president wasn't such an incompetent asshat.

That's the simplest argument against Trump: Having a competent, mentally fit leader means we can get important stuff done instead of dealing with his stupid self-centered drama all day every day.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Me either. Recession is looking more likely in 2021 than 2020, now.

Yep. Which means we piss away the Supreme Court for our entire lifetimes and watch a bunch of bad crap happen for the foreseeable future and are left trying to make gains at the local/state levels and whittle away at the GOP in the Senate.

It ain't nothing, but it'd be pretty bleak. Losing SCOTUS that long would hurt.

10 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is the kind of crap we could start to deal with again if the president wasn't such an incompetent asshat.

That's the simplest argument against Trump: Having a competent, mentally fit leader means we can get important stuff done instead of dealing with his stupid self-centered drama all day every day.

I partially agree with you. This post was more about the stunning abuses of government and intelligence agencies that were blatantly ignored because all the media wanted to do was focus on impeachment of their #1 enemy. 

The IG report on FISA abuse, the Patriot Act renewal, the report on intelligence agencies and government at large lying about the middle east for 20 years, the Epstein scandal, etc are all WAY more important than the impeachment circus that just went down...

30 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I partially agree with you. This post was more about the stunning abuses of government and intelligence agencies that were blatantly ignored because all the media wanted to do was focus on impeachment of their #1 enemy. 

The IG report on FISA abuse, the Patriot Act renewal, the report on intelligence agencies and government at large lying about the middle east for 20 years, the Epstein scandal, etc are all WAY more important than the impeachment circus that just went down...

I agree. I also agree with your take on how impeachment well go down. Or not go down, rather.

But even if the outcome is predetermined, this has only happened two other times. It's legitimately huge news when a president gets impeached.  And it's a pretty concrete idea that's easy to grasp.

Sadly, I think the primary reason those stories haven't gotten more traction is because Americans are largely too stupid and civically illiterate with attention spans that are too short to get down in the weeds to understand them. So the media focuses on the shiny red ball because that's going to get the views/clicks/etc...

• Plus1 2