The First Trump Impeachment Thread

Looks like the ball is already rolling on one potential impeachment. It'll be interesting to see if Congress actually tries to impeach him, or if they don't think enough of their policies have gotten rammed through yet and they need to keep Trump as a distraction.

Joaquin Castro-filed resolution could lead to Trump impeachment: 'No president is above the law'

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, introduced a resolution earlier this month that could put the wheels in motion for President Trump’s impeachment.

The resolution, filed Feb. 7, calls on the U.S. Department of Justice to “appoint an independent counsel to investigate whether President Trump or his staff directed, or knowingly permitted, United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) actions that violated judicial orders designed to stay the January 27, 2017 travel ban executive order,” a news release from Castro’s office states.

Castro filed his resolution after reports that CBP did not follow the court-ordered stays on the ban.

“I hope President Trump obeyed the law, but if he didn’t, the Congress should censure him,” the San Antonio native said. “If after censure the president again acts unconstitutionally, Congress should take steps to remove him from office.”

That's a poll asking when you think he'll be impeached. This is a thread about actual impeachment procedures. Similar but not the same thing, which is why I created a new thread.

No problem wt both. Joe Scarborough on the Morning Joe show today said impeachment in 6 months if Trump and team ignores courts and violate their stays. Related to your OP.

I was telling people during the election that it didn't matter who won (Hillary or Trump) the Republicans would impeach them.

IF this happens, I hope it is not something that is easily excused or ignored by Trump supporters. If he is going to be impeached, I want it to be something that is so big that nobody can ignore it.

That isn't because I want something that bad to happen. It's because if he is impeached by something like what is discussed in the OP, I can see the Trump supporters digging in their heels even more and this thing blowing up into an extremely violent situation.

From where I'm sitting, and the discussions I have had with died in the wool Trump supporters, they will go down swinging with this guy. I don't understand it. But, that's the feeling I get.

• Fire 1

A part of me doesn't want Trump impeached. Pence is everything I don't want in a President on a different spectrum.

Pence is wrong within the normal parameters.

Plus, as an added benefit, for those who want to move on from this administration, Pence would be much more predictable in office and have a much harder time appealing to disaffected moderates. The disaffected largely went to Trump because they felt no one else cared about them and he represented an opportunity to blow up the system that had forgotten them. He openly called for their vote to go shake things up.

Pence doesn't have that quality. If he goes full blown social conservative and starts churning out religious freedom laws, the same thing will happen that happened in Indiana. People would feel discriminated against, it will hurt the economy, his popularity will sink, and you can tie those as an electoral anchor around his neck.

You can also undo the damage of a Pence a lot easier than an economic collapse or huge foreign policy blunders Trump could create.

• Fire 1

A part of me doesn't want Trump impeached. Pence is everything I don't want in a President on a different spectrum.

Plus, as an added benefit, for those who want to move on from this administration, Pence would be much more predictable in office and have a much harder time appealing to disaffected moderates. The disaffected largely went to Trump because they felt no one else cared about them and he represented an opportunity to blow up the system that had forgotten them. He openly called for their vote to go shake things up.

Pence doesn't have that quality. If he goes full blown social conservative and starts churning out religious freedom laws, the same thing will happen that happened in Indiana. People would feel discriminated against, it will hurt the economy, his popularity will sink, and you can tie those as an electoral anchor around his neck.

You can also undo the damage of a Pence a lot easier than an economic collapse or huge foreign policy blunders Trump could create.

This is where I'm at with this.

People can disagree with Pence on issues. However, at least he is within the realm of reality with Presidential conduct, mode of accomplishing goals and dealing with people he disagrees with and foreign governments.

• Fire 1

I agree. My main concern with Pence is that the public will be so relieved about having a president that is wrong within the normal parameters that they will not be as energized to fight his more insane policies as hard as they do with Trump. I think he'd still be a definite upgrade though.

• Fire 1

I agree. My main concern with Pence is that the public will be so relieved about having a president that is wrong within the normal parameters that they will not be as energized to fight his more insane policies as hard as they do with Trump. I think he'd still be a definite upgrade though.

I mean, you could well be right. It shocked me how receptive people were to someone like Pence with insane far-right policy prescriptions who lied nearly as much as Trump merely as an artifact of not being as crazy as his boss.

But I still think Clinton could've probably beaten Ted Cruz had he been the nominee instead of Trump. I view Cruz and Pence very similarly. Cruz and his policies had absolutely no appeal out east or even in places like Ohio and Michigan. Although Pence is probably more likable than Cruz, that's a really low bar.

I think these far-right ideologues would have a much tougher time in swing states. By virtue of that, Pence could still be a desirable opponent. And I'd rather Pence sooner than later.. both to limit the damage Trump could do and to yolk some of Pence's policies to him by the time 2020 rolls around.