The First Trump Impeachment Thread

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Republicans deep in the weeds with their questioning. Muddying water is the only play they have 

On 11/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, QMany said:

I don't envy the GOP counsel's position. He has no reasonable legal defense.

"A Chewbacca defense is a legal strategy in which a criminal defense lawyer tries to confuse the jury rather than refute the case of the prosecutor. It is an intentional distraction or obfuscation."

In this scene from the television series South Park, Johnnie Cochran stands in a courtroom next to a large screen on a tripod. He points to a picture on the screen of Chewbacca, who is wide-eyed and standing stiffly.

15 minutes ago, QMany said:

:lol:

I have conducted direct and cross-examination of police officers/sheriffs in depositions and trial, and even I knew to be respectful and use their proper titles. I can't imagine the audacity to do that to a Purple Heart-winning Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army sitting there in uniform! 

Aren't the Republicans the ones who preach that THEY respect the military?

• Plus1 1

this is what the Republicans are clamoring about as Vindman, who was in on the phone call, confirms everything we already know about the situation. Isn't it possible they don't know who the whistleblower is but know who it could potentially be? I mean come on are you that stupid Mark?

As I am listening to Will Hurd's (R-TX) is questioning, I wonder how he and other retiring Republicans will vote. 

They probably still need a cush GOP lobbying job or the like, but they won't have as much Trump-induced reelection pressure.

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think the type of impeachment they’re working on is about unfitness, or at least, that by itself isn’t enough without crimes. They need to show crimes, although that’s loosely defined. He should have been removed for unfitness a year or two ago by the people whose responsibility it is.

Well that's my point. Technically they don't need to prove crimes.  The pattern of unfitness includes falling in love with Kim Jung Un and cancelling joint military exercises with South Korea --- a  brazen concession Trump didn't even run by his own military. It includes withdrawing from Syria and exposing the Kurds, a pro-Putin move that, again, Trump didn't run by his own military or GOP leadership, both strongly against the move. It includes blabbing classified military secrets to the President of the Philipines, the resignation of every respected general he brought into his administration, and his hand-picked Secretary of State calling him "a f#&%ing moron." It's a pattern of lying, disinformation and backwater conspiracy theories that have become so common we almost forget it's the work of a sociopath. 

If you think Collusion is the brass ring -- as with the Mueller Report, or Bribery is the smoking gun, — as with Ukraine, Trump apologists merely have to establish plausible doubt according to the legal standard for a singular incident. And at the end of the day, a lot of people see nothing wrong with the President trying to strongarm some dirt on his political opponent. Most of us assume backroom power plays happen in every administration.

But I think people do care if the President is a habitual liar who has thrown his own people under the bus, countermanded his own military advisers, his own economic advisers, and pursued every avenue of self-interest including blatant personal financial gain. That many of these choices seem tailor-made for Vladimir Putin's agenda is the cherry on the sundae. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It includes withdrawing from Syria and exposing the Kurds, a pro-Putin move that, again, Trump didn't run by his own military or GOP leadership, both strongly against the move.

Potentially because Ergodon was blackmailing him due to Kushner greenlighting the Khashoggi murder. That is unverified but very concerning nonetheless