The First Trump Impeachment Thread

Another day of hearings.  Feels like Groundhog Day.  Not much has changed.  House will impeach, because, the Dems sort of have to at this point.  Otherwise it's a HUGE win for Trump.  Republican controlled Senate will hold their hearings and vote to NOT convict.  

In the mean time it's quite entertaining to watch.

The real entertainment comes with the 2020 campaigning and debates.  

I just hope all this doesn't tear the country apart.

• Fire 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/11/20/whistleblower-fbi-has-sought-interview-amid-impeachment-inquiry-trump/4250516002/ 

@NM11046 so its unclear exactly why they want to question the whistleblower but they are not investigating the whistleblower. This article doesn't make the direct suggestion the DOJ swept this under the rug but says there are potential campaign finance violations and the DOJ did not interview the whistleblower.

• Thanks 1

yes, pretty amazing - I saw Jim Jordan's press conference after the session closed.  It is pretty much over the top denialism.  If there was a psychologist in the house, they would demand each of these GOP reps lay on the couch and try to find some sort of reality.  They are in an alt univ in their delusion over this event. They can't see the obvious and they see only what the cult leader proclaims they should see--- which in this case is nothing.

If trump's admin insiders are brown shirts, the congressional GOP is:

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Another day of hearings.  Feels like Groundhog Day.  Not much has changed.  House will impeach, because, the Dems sort of have to at this point.  Otherwise it's a HUGE win for Trump.  Republican controlled Senate will hold their hearings and vote to NOT convict.  

In the mean time it's quite entertaining to watch.

The real entertainment comes with the 2020 campaigning and debates.  

I just hope all this doesn't tear the country apart.

Not so sure there.  I think there were some bombshells thrown out today. A few more GOP senators might find a spine if this continues down the same track.

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not so sure there.  I think there were some bombshells thrown out today. A few more GOP senators might find a spine if this continues down the same track.

I wouldn't bet on it.  It seems they the GOP has bet all their chips on Trump.  Removing him would essentially concede the 2020 election to the Dems.  Plus, doesn't it take like a 2/3 majority in the Senate to convict?  Or maybe they can make their own rules on that.  Anyhow, I just don't see this playing out any other way.

More and more, to me, it looks like Trump vs. Buttigieg in 2020.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Actually, at this point...Trump staying in office has already torn the country apart with his Nationalism, inciting of violence, and absolute disregard for law in general.

So, it doesn't matter...it's already torn.  I've never seen the level of partisan bias and jockying that I see today since I started voting in the early nineties.

I agree, but I fear the worst is yet to come.  Especially if Trump gets another 4.  

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

yes, pretty amazing - I saw Jim Jordan's press conference after the session closed.  It is pretty much over the top denialism.  If there was a psychologist in the house, they would demand each of these GOP reps lay on the couch and try to find some sort of reality.  They are in an alt univ in their delusion over this event. They can't see the obvious and they see only what the cult leader proclaims they should see--- which in this case is nothing.

If trump's admin insiders are brown shirts, the congressional GOP is:

giphy.gif

They must deny, ask yourself this, how many of them go down with Trump if he goes? Surely McConnel and his wife, Graham was a never Trumper then went to Russia and came back singing a different tune, Nunez is up to his eyeballs, Matt Gaetz, Jordan, the list goes on and on. They have to deny deny deny in an effort to save themselves at this point. 

Hamilton foresaw trump

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-americas-anti-president-opinion-1472384

Trump represents the perfect exemplar of what Alexander Hamilton darkly envisioned when he described the danger that a demagogue might one day assume the presidency and require removal through the awesome power of impeachment. Such a demagogue, Hamilton prophesied, would be "a man unprincipled in private life[,] desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper...despotic in his ordinary demeanour." Such a man, Hamilton wrote, would one day "mount the hobby horse of popularity—to join in the cry of danger to liberty—to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion—to flatter and fall in with all the non sense of the zealots of the day" with the object of "throw[ing] things into confusion that he may 'ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.'"

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, commando said:

Hamilton foresaw trump

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-americas-anti-president-opinion-1472384

Trump represents the perfect exemplar of what Alexander Hamilton darkly envisioned when he described the danger that a demagogue might one day assume the presidency and require removal through the awesome power of impeachment. Such a demagogue, Hamilton prophesied, would be "a man unprincipled in private life[,] desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper...despotic in his ordinary demeanour." Such a man, Hamilton wrote, would one day "mount the hobby horse of popularity—to join in the cry of danger to liberty—to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion—to flatter and fall in with all the non sense of the zealots of the day" with the object of "throw[ing] things into confusion that he may 'ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.'"

Reading things like this make me depressed about our leaders.  Instead of well written passages, we get Tweets trying to score political points over a fart on live tv...

• Plus1 1

Fiona Hill's Opening Statement: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/21/politics/fiona-hill-opening-remarks-impeachment-hearing/index.html

This relates to the second thing I want to communicate. Based on questions and statements I have heard, some of you on this committee appear to believe that Russia and its security services did not conduct a campaign against our country—and that perhaps, somehow, for some reason, Ukraine did. This is a fictional narrative that has been perpetrated and propagated by the Russian security services themselves. The unfortunate truth is that Russia was the foreign power that systematically attacked our democratic institutions in 2016. This is the public conclusion of our intelligence agencies, confirmed in bipartisan Congressional reports. It is beyond dispute, even if some of the underlying details must remain classified.

I respect the work that this Congress does in carrying out its constitutional responsibilities, including in this inquiry, and I am here to help you to the best of my ability. If the President, or anyone else, impedes or subverts the national security of the United States in order to further domestic political or personal interests, that is more than worthy of your attention.

• Thanks 2