The First Trump Impeachment Thread

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Granted, I haven't read the article ($$$$)

But am I to understand that the GOP doesn't want to call witnesses because they might hear something they don't like?

Sounds like a dang GOOD reason to call witnesses if it could potentially provide new and credible information, no matter who it benefits.

My understanding is McConnell doesn't want Republicans to call people like Schiff, Pelosi, Hunter Biden and other non relevant witnesses that Trump wants them to bring in 

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why has this hearing gone on now for hours?  They keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.  None of the Representatives are going to change their mind.  Stop with the grandstanding, vote and get it to the floor of the house.

I'm sick of this whole thing.

Because the GOPers behind the dais keep adding amendments to the original HR.

They're using parliamentary rules to delay the inevitable, to say to the POTUS, "Hey I fought for you."

If you want to see the actual text of the bill that they've been debating for two days now, here ya go:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/755/text?r=7&s=6

116th CONGRESS
1st Session

H. RES. 755

Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
December 10, 2019

Mr. Nadler submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

RESOLUTION

Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Resolved, That Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, is impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors and that the following articles of impeachment be exhibited to the United States Senate:

Articles of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives of the United States of America in the name of itself and of the people of the United States of America, against Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, in maintenance and support of its impeachment against him for high crimes and misdemeanors.

8 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

My understanding is McConnell doesn't want Republicans to call people like Schiff, Pelosi, Hunter Biden and other non relevant witnesses that Trump wants them to bring in 

I'd pick just one to establish that they won't talk.  Otherwise the risk averse strategy is justifiable. 

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why has this hearing gone on now for hours?  They keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.  None of the Representatives are going to change their mind.  Stop with the grandstanding, vote and get it to the floor of the house.

I'm sick of this whole thing.

first time watching C-SPAN?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

They can't even fake the effort to make it look like they're acting in good faith. This is blatant disregard for the Constitution, and people like Joe up there DGAF.

If this were an actual jury trial in an actual court, any juror who showed such bias toward a defendant or explicitly stated that they refused to consider the evidence would be removed from the jury.

Wouldn't it be amazing in the impeachment hearing if the Chief Justice disqualified any Senator who said this kind of nonsense? That would change everything. I don't think that could happen though.

• Plus1 2