The First Trump Impeachment Thread

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Seriously?  The jury would probably like to know everything the people told their attorney.  Sorry that's confidential.  You want to know what top ministers told the chief executive?  You lose. The necessity for any President to get the best advice from the best people trumps your unending partisan ire.  If you want a source see Chuck Schumer in 1999

This isn’t a criminal trial.  You can’t draw that parallel.  Attorney/client privilege doesn’t apply when the “proverbial “ jury is the voting American public and the “proverbial “ attorney is a nation security adviser or chief of staff.  The only exception would be sensitive classified material that involved national security.  That doesn’t apply here.  This is election interference and as a voter I have the right to know if candidate A leveraged a foreign entity to harm the reputation of candidate B.  

• Plus1 4

36 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Sen Toomey wants a one for one witness deal. 

Trump for Biden, deal.

8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

The only exception would be sensitive classified material that involved national security.  That doesn’t apply here.  This is election interference and as a voter I have the right to know if candidate A leveraged a foreign entity to harm the reputation of candidate B.  

Imagine being so unethical and desperate that your only defense boils down to: "My criminal bribery plot is absolutely privileged simply because I talked to my administration about it."

• Plus1 6

GOP regarding witnesses and new evidence. So in Sen Thrune's world,   - to hear a witness would place too much weight on their conscience when voting to acquit the president in spite of the evidence.   They want to avoid the truth as an ointment to sooth their dirty or should I say deplorable conscience in supporting the Scum in the WH.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e4154d882b78dc98a8

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d34456de55376e1630

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, QMany said:

Remember when Republican Senators acted aghast that Schiff mentioned CBS' "head on a pike" comment.

More and more I get the impression that hands are dirty all over the place. I've got to believe on some level that some of the Republicans care deeply about the country and what's happening and that would compel them to break with the party. However, if breaking with the party means going to prison or having their own shady dealings brought to light that changes how people would play it. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Huskerzoo said:

More and more I get the impression that hands are dirty all over the place. I've got to believe on some level that some of the Republicans care deeply about the country and what's happening and that would compel them to break with the party. However, if breaking with the party means going to prison or having their own shady dealings brought to light that changes how people would play it. 

Collective denial by the GOP will eventually lead to them being the minority party for years.  When the truth eventually comes out, as it always does, the repercussions by the voters will be overwhelming (or so I hope).

87b4f10205d3179ba3f98e30fcf83650.gif

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

When the truth eventually comes out, as it always does, the repercussions by the voters will be overwhelming (or so I hope).

That would be right if we still lived in a society that believed in truth. We're post truth now, unfortunately.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

That would be right if we still lived in a society that believed in truth. We're post truth now, unfortunately.

Yes, unfortunately - truth is bendable and flexible and the most deceitful, with the backing of enablers without a conscience (Congressional GOP for example)  can often win the day with their version of the 'truth'. 

26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Collective denial by the GOP will eventually lead to them being the minority party for years. 

Republicans have won ONE presidential popular vote since 1988 (totaling 33,000,000 less votes). That is why they defend and rely so heavily on gerrymandering, voter suppression, and the electoral college.

• Plus1 2