The First Trump Impeachment Thread

47 minutes ago, QMany said:

I tend to agree. But to play Devil's Advocate a little, Trump commits impeachable offenses at an alarming rate. Trump's Ukraine call was one day after Mueller testified. While the Mueller reported on Trump's offenses related to the past election, his interference with the upcoming election is more pressing.

I get that. It's definitely the more pressing matters, but given that the report already exists, and with it all the evidence, you would think they could move in the next month to investigate that matter. It took them 11 weeks to move from Pelosi announcing an investigation to the charges today. If they start next week and give them 2 weeks for the Holidays that puts them around mid March. It's just too bad they are dropping the ball on this one.

2 hours ago, QMany said:

Trump won't testify, so this seems to indicate they could use his written sworn testimony to Mueller in his trial. Sometime in the last couple weeks I read that Dems are investigating whether he lied to Mueller. If they can prove he lied to Mueller in sworn testimony that would be perjury.

Doesn't matter, though. Don't think the particular articles matter. ZRod is right. There's endless reasons Trump SHOULD be impeached. Endless impeachable offenses. But it's not going to work. So just make your best case and rip the band aid off. The Senate is going to acquit so we should just get over with it.

12 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Trump won't testify, so this seems to indicate they could use his written sworn testimony to Mueller in his trial. Sometime in the last couple weeks I read that Dems are investigating whether he lied to Mueller. If they can prove he lied to Mueller in sworn testimony that would be perjury.

Doesn't matter, though. Don't think the particular articles matter. ZRod is right. There's endless reasons Trump SHOULD be impeached. Endless impeachable offenses. But it's not going to work. So just make your best case and rip the band aid off. The Senate is going to acquit so we should just get over with it.

My one glimmer of hope is that the Senate opts to go with a secret vote. Otherwise, short of Trump coming out as gay or switching political parties during the trial, the chances of him getting convicted are slim to none. 

16 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

My one glimmer of hope is that the Senate opts to go with a secret vote. Otherwise, short of Trump coming out as gay or switching political parties during the trial, the chances of him getting convicted are slim to none. 

I saw Trump being removed at +425, which I believe translates to just over 4:1 odds on a bet against Trump.  I think those odds are horrible though and wouldn't touch it for less than 12:1.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, ZRod said:

I'm baffled why they didn't pursue Obstruction of Justice related to the Muller report. If they tack it on later, or begin hearings it will look like desperation. They screwed up by not moving on other after Muller testified. I understand they don't want to play the long game with the election next year, but these are all major issues.

OoJ would be an actual crime, with precedent and facts they cannot identify.   Better to stick to abstract thought crimes that mean whatever you want them to mean. 

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Granted, I haven't read the article ($$$$)

But am I to understand that the GOP doesn't want to call witnesses because they might hear something they don't like?

Sounds like a dang GOOD reason to call witnesses if it could potentially provide new and credible information, no matter who it benefits.

Hearing McConnell is going to push for acquittal, which would effectively end the Republic.

If you can't impeach Trump after what we've seen, you can't impeach any president. And thus they are dictators, and we are in for a wild next few decades.

Anyone not familiar with the fall of the Roman Republic and the establishment of the Roman Empire really needs to study up quick because that is the path we're on. 

And in case you think your "team" is going to win and you'll be fine - think again. History shows times of turmoil like this produce waves of alternating power, and when one "team" gets overthrown, the victors go on purges.

But hey, enjoy being Republican. While you still can.

• Plus1 3