The First Trump Impeachment Thread

A part of me doesn't want Trump impeached. Pence is everything I don't want in a President on a different spectrum.

Pence is wrong within the normal parameters.

Plus, as an added benefit, for those who want to move on from this administration, Pence would be much more predictable in office and have a much harder time appealing to disaffected moderates. The disaffected largely went to Trump because they felt no one else cared about them and he represented an opportunity to blow up the system that had forgotten them. He openly called for their vote to go shake things up.

Pence doesn't have that quality. If he goes full blown social conservative and starts churning out religious freedom laws, the same thing will happen that happened in Indiana. People would feel discriminated against, it will hurt the economy, his popularity will sink, and you can tie those as an electoral anchor around his neck.

You can also undo the damage of a Pence a lot easier than an economic collapse or huge foreign policy blunders Trump could create.

This is where I'm at with this.

People can disagree with Pence on issues. However, at least he is within the realm of reality with Presidential conduct, mode of accomplishing goals and dealing with people he disagrees with and foreign governments.

I'm in agreement on this. I think Pence would be a definite upgrade to Trump. He understands how govt works. Those of you who fear his social policies will have to remember that all of that runs through Congress where everything is moderated. I, of course, am very happy that he is Pro-life however, I think he understands that governing in DC is a lot different than governing in an individual state. Pence would have more of the demeanor and respect for tradition that Trump lacks. Also, the tweats would stop!!

I would not be surprised to hear of Repubs behind the scenes trying to unearth more junk against Trump/Flynn, etc just to get this behind them as soon as possible. No I don't want an impeachment but I don't want this to be our on going news cycle - a cycle full of tweats, thin skinned renouncing of people who may disagree with you, etc.

Trump and team need to slow the car down to 40 mph and start walking in some humility and get off the blame game - they all are getting a 'persecuted personality complex'. It would be better to see them sitting down wt congress and discussing solutions in a bi-partisan manner and get the attention off of self. Over exposure is killing their message and momentum to getting things done.

I think Pence is evil & corrupt in the same way that Hillary is evil & corrupt. And while I don't want evil & corruption in my government, I'll take the evil & corruption that I know rather than the evil & corruption I don't understand.

Given your druthers, who would you have liked to see get elected that was actually in the field of candidates?

How about those who didn't run? Who'd be your ideal POTUS?

I think Pence is evil & corrupt in the same way that Hillary is evil & corrupt. And while I don't want evil & corruption in my government, I'll take the evil & corruption that I know rather than the evil & corruption I don't understand.

Given your druthers, who would you have liked to see get elected that was actually in the field of candidates?

How about those who didn't run? Who'd be your ideal POTUS?

Clinton among the group that was actually running, for several reasons. One of the biggest for the purposes of HuskerBoard would be that all of those people who feel disaffected by P&R would see that we're all in opposition to Clinton, too. It's not just Trump, it's all of them. Clinton was just the least odious of the final two candidates.

My ideal POTUS probably doesn't exist. Certainly there isn't one I could point to inside the current political machine. I want someone who understands that America is a diverse nation made stronger by its diversity, not weakened because we aren't all the same. I want someone who will endeavor to work with both parties, but who will not toe their party's line. Partisan politics will kill this country, and we need a president who won't fuel that fire.

• Fire 2

Does anyone remember James Comey, the guy who sent the Clinton email letter to Congress? What's he doing about this stuff? Why isn't he being so publicly proactive about Flynn?

Security shouldn't be a partisan issue.

I can only hope the inter-agency investigation into Trump and his people's connections to Russia comes to fruition eventually.

It's going to be interesting if we see them recommend that Sessions take action.

If that investigation yields nothing, I don't know what hope there is for impeachment at that point.

• Fire 1

Knapp, I don't expect you to agree wt Pence's political positions - but tell me why you think he is evil and corrupt. He didn't have a foundation to laundry donations through, etc. Not comparable to Hillary/Bill in any way. Maybe just because he has a R behind his name?

A quick goggle search on Pence and ethics brought up this 1990 issue - which was not against the law at the time (but he

should have avoided any appearance of 'evil' and he later apologized for his ' “exercise in naiveté.” -his words. 27 years ago - I hope we have all grown in wisdom & therefore behavior during the past 27 years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/mike-pence-13k-campaign-funds-mortgage-golf-fees-article-1.2714118

Or maybe from this article one might find all kinds of evil especially from this astute political advisor :

Miley Cyrus :o even went so far as to call Pence an “a-hole” on Instagram. Ouch.

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/who-is-mike-pence/

I'm just don't see the equivalency of Pence is evil & corrupt = Hillary is evil & corrupt - other than the fact that he is Republican - therefore by default evil and corrupt. Or maybe because he is Trump's VP. Now I can understand calling into wisdom the person who signs up for that job but that doesn't rise up to 'evil and corrupt'. But to be honest, I'm glad he is in that position and not a Trump clone. Call me 'naivete' for not agreeing with you. :dunno

Given your druthers, who would you have liked to see get elected that was actually in the field of candidates? How about those who didn't run? Who'd be your ideal POTUS?
My ideal POTUS probably doesn't exist. Certainly there isn't one I could point to inside the current political machine. I want someone who understands that America is a diverse nation made stronger by its diversity, not weakened because we aren't all the same. I want someone who will endeavor to work with both parties, but who will not toe their party's line. Partisan politics will kill this country, and we need a president who won't fuel that fire.

I agree with there not being someone who would fit my desires as POTUS currently as well. At one time, I was thinking our current Speaker would have been a solid option but since DT, not so much.

Knapp, I don't expect you to agree wt Pence's political positions - but tell me why you think he is evil and corrupt. He didn't have a foundation to laundry donations through, etc. Not comparable to Hillary/Bill in any way. Maybe just because he has a R behind his name?

A quick goggle search on Pence and ethics brought up this 1990 issue - which was not against the law at the time (but he

should have avoided any appearance of 'evil' and he later apologized for his ' “exercise in naiveté.” -his words. 27 years ago - I hope we have all grown in wisdom & therefore behavior during the past 27 years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/mike-pence-13k-campaign-funds-mortgage-golf-fees-article-1.2714118

Or maybe from this article one might find all kinds of evil especially from this astute political advisor :

Miley Cyrus :o even went so far as to call Pence an “a-hole” on Instagram. Ouch.

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/who-is-mike-pence/

I'm just don't see the equivalency of Pence is evil & corrupt = Hillary is evil & corrupt - other than the fact that he is Republican - therefore by default evil and corrupt. Or maybe because he is Trump's VP. Now I can understand calling into wisdom the person who signs up for that job but that doesn't rise up to 'evil and corrupt'. But to be honest, I'm glad he is in that position and not a Trump clone. Call me 'naivete' for not agreeing with you. :dunno

Care to rewrite this as a friendly question instead of accusatory hackery that presumes the answers? If not, just go with whatever answer floats your boat. I'm done trying to convince you of anything if these are the kinds of accusations you're going to level after I've asked you, politely, several times, not to put words in my mouth like this.

• Fire 1

Sorry Knapp - too much tongue in check mood today/angatonistic mood today wt some work issues and I let it spill over. Let me rewrite it wt out the accusation. Forgive me for going over board.

Please explain your view in how there is an equivalency between Pence is evil & corrupt = Hillary is evil & corrupt.

I'll respectfully wait for your reply. (seriously)

Knapp, as far as putting words in your mouth - I'm not trying to do that. I'm just thinking out loud trying to figure out how anyone - not just you would think they are equivalent. But regardless, it is wrong to think out loud about what I might think another person is thinking. You may have a perfectly good answer and I just don't see it yet. My wife doesn't like it when I but words in her mouth and visa versa and I should respect your sovereignty over your thoughts, words and mouth as well and not come across 'snarky or sarcastically 'while I'm trying to figure it out. Better to ask a clarifying question - which I failed to do. Sometimes I get too 'cute' with my own words and it doesn't add to the conversation.

So, help me to see your perspective and I'll listen wtout judgement.

Pence isn't evil in the sense that, like, Skeletor is evil. Just a bad dude doing bad stuff for the sake of being bad. But his worldview supports/condones/results in suffering of others in a way that doesn't have a place in this world anymore.

1. He is a supporter of conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ people. Essentially mental torture.

2. He has no respect for the idea of a woman's bodily autonomy.

3. He pushed through discrimination permitting bills in Indiana.

4. He slashed Indiana Planned Parenthood funding, resulting in an HIV outbreak that needed federal intervention.

5. He also cut money from a domestic abuse support program, while cutting corporate taxes.

6. He supported the Iraq War

7. He actively goes against measures to protect our planet

8. He gets an A rating from the NRA

I have several close friends whose life Pence would change drastically if he were able. His attack on their lives is unwarranted, as nothing they do affects him.

Pence promotes an anti-gay agenda and advocates conversion therapy.

Pence signed a bill allowing businesses to discriminate against gay customers.

Pence attempted to pass a bill banning same-sex marriage.

Pence is virulently anti-abortion, even in cases of incest & rape.

Pence attempted to control Indiana's newspapers through state-run media filtering.

Pence signed the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act surrounded by priests and nuns.

Pence's Republican-centric policy of slashing taxes has, like Kansas and Louisiana before him, not led to a great economic outcome.

It's easy to see Clinton as evil because of her foundation. But Trump has similarly filtered money through a foundation, and bribed an Attorney General, and Pence still agreed to be on the ticket. If it's evil for Hillary it's evil for Trump, and Pence clearly endorses Trump.

Why did Pence leave Indiana? Clearly the obvious answer is he wanted to be Vice President. Or...

Maybe because, despite his incumbency, he was in a virtual dead-heat in his reelection campaign with a Democrat in a Republican state.

Maybe it's because his popularity numbers were oddly low after representing Indiana in the House and then as Governor.

Or maybe it's because Trump offered Pence the same deal he offered Kasich. Granted, that's speculation about Pence, but smoke often means fire.

I mean... sure, people can agree to disagree. But Clinton has been convicted of exactly as much corruption as Pence. She's even been investigated more.

I'm willing to call her evil, though. Fair is fair.

EDIT

PS: The company he keeps.

bW76rh3.jpg

• Fire 1