The First Trump Impeachment Thread

Ryan wouldn't get two full terms if he took over for Trump. It'll be months before Trump is ousted from office (if that ever happens). Ryan stands a solid chance of winning an election and having his own full term(s). They won't waste Ryan on someone else's partial term.

Something else I hadn't considered before is that if the election was tampered with, the courts have the authority to pretty much do whatever they see fit. The courts could make Clinton the President. The precedent is when a judge replaced a Democrat by a Republican in the Senate due to massive fraud. It's super unlikely, but foreign tampering with the Presidential election is an unprecedented event and the outcome is completely unknown.

The only reason I'd welcome a Hillary Clinton presidency is so that everyone on HuskerBoard could see all of us who bitch about Trump turn around and bitch about Clinton so they'd realize we're being honest when we say we didn't like her, either. Too many people were saying after the election that Clinton would have been just as bad, or if Clinton did "X" then we wouldn't be bitching. We would. Certainly I would. Voting for Clinton was the single most odious vote I've cast in my life.

Hypothetically, say Trump is removed and Pence is found to be complicit on some level and is ousted too, could Ryan "pass" it on to Orrin? Or is he obligated to take it?

The Sec of State is next in line after Ryan - thus Mr Exxon would be next to step into the fray. Remember when Reagan was shot and GHWB was out of DC - I think in Texas - flying on Air Force 2. Alexander Haig, the Sec of State, infamously grabbed the mic and said 'I'm in charge here'.

http://adst.org/2014/03/al-haig-and-the-reagan-assassination-attempt-im-in-charge-here/

However there is more to that story as you read this article . Maybe Haig averted WW3

http://www.worldtribune.com/behind-al-haigs-1981-im-in-control-here-statement/

Flynn, & Felony charges:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-14/mike-flynn-may-face-felony-charges-lying-fbi

The only reason I'd welcome a Hillary Clinton presidency is so that everyone on HuskerBoard could see all of us who bitch about Trump turn around and bitch about Clinton so they'd realize we're being honest when we say we didn't like her, either. Too many people were saying after the election that Clinton would have been just as bad, or if Clinton did "X" then we wouldn't be bitching. We would. Certainly I would. Voting for Clinton was the single most odious vote I've cast in my life.

Knapp - I believe you regarding Hillary and I understand why you voted for her over Trump. I think most people get it - we were all placed between a rock and a hard place and choices were made on what we thought was best. I choose not to vote for either for my reasons and you voted for the lessor of the 2 evils.

A part of me doesn't want Trump impeached. Pence is everything I don't want in a President on a different spectrum.

Pence is wrong within the normal parameters.

Plus, as an added benefit, for those who want to move on from this administration, Pence would be much more predictable in office and have a much harder time appealing to disaffected moderates. The disaffected largely went to Trump because they felt no one else cared about them and he represented an opportunity to blow up the system that had forgotten them. He openly called for their vote to go shake things up.

Pence doesn't have that quality. If he goes full blown social conservative and starts churning out religious freedom laws, the same thing will happen that happened in Indiana. People would feel discriminated against, it will hurt the economy, his popularity will sink, and you can tie those as an electoral anchor around his neck.

You can also undo the damage of a Pence a lot easier than an economic collapse or huge foreign policy blunders Trump could create.

Yup, just ask Pence's fellow Republicans in the state of Indiana who are systematically fixing everything Pence neglected or broke while in office.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/09/pence-gone-fellow-republicans-undo-his-work/97699694/

Their whole legislative session was (almost) a bi-partisan repudiation of Pence's leadership in Indiana. Doesn't bode well for Pence if he were to become President and attempt to be re-elected.

Ryan wouldn't get two full terms if he took over for Trump. It'll be months before Trump is ousted from office (if that ever happens). Ryan stands a solid chance of winning an election and having his own full term(s). They won't waste Ryan on someone else's partial term.

You can serve for ten years total as president, so if impeachment doesn't happen until two years into the Trump administration (Two years?! We'll likely be in Russian re-education classes at that point, eh Comrade?), Ryan can serve the two to replace Trump/Pence, then be re-elected twice for a total of 10.

• Fire 2

Hypothetically, say Trump is removed and Pence is found to be complicit on some level and is ousted too, could Ryan "pass" it on to Orrin? Or is he obligated to take it?

The Sec of State is next in line after Ryan - thus Mr Exxon would be next to step into the fray. Remember when Reagan was shot and GHWB was out of DC - I think in Texas - flying on Air Force 2. Alexander Haig, the Sec of State, infamously grabbed the mic and said 'I'm in charge here'.

http://adst.org/2014/03/al-haig-and-the-reagan-assassination-attempt-im-in-charge-here/

However there is more to that story as you read this article . Maybe Haig averted WW3

Flynn, & Felony charges:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-14/mike-flynn-may-face-felony-charges-lying-fbi

I do not recall that as it was 8 years before I was born. However I'll take your word for it.

According to Wikipedia, the succession line goes from Trump to Pence to Ryan to Orrin and then to Sec of State. How is it that he would jump Orrin Hatch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

You can serve for ten years total as president, so if impeachment doesn't happen until two years into the Trump administration (Two years?! We'll likely be in Russian re-education classes at that point, eh Comrade?), Ryan can serve the two to replace Trump/Pence, then be re-elected twice for a total of 10.

That is something I did not know.

A part of me doesn't want Trump impeached. Pence is everything I don't want in a President on a different spectrum.

Pence is wrong within the normal parameters.

Plus, as an added benefit, for those who want to move on from this administration, Pence would be much more predictable in office and have a much harder time appealing to disaffected moderates. The disaffected largely went to Trump because they felt no one else cared about them and he represented an opportunity to blow up the system that had forgotten them. He openly called for their vote to go shake things up.

Pence doesn't have that quality. If he goes full blown social conservative and starts churning out religious freedom laws, the same thing will happen that happened in Indiana. People would feel discriminated against, it will hurt the economy, his popularity will sink, and you can tie those as an electoral anchor around his neck.

You can also undo the damage of a Pence a lot easier than an economic collapse or huge foreign policy blunders Trump could create.

Yup, just ask Pence's fellow Republicans in the state of Indiana who are systematically fixing everything Pence neglected or broke while in office.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/09/pence-gone-fellow-republicans-undo-his-work/97699694/

Their whole legislative session was (almost) a bi-partisan repudiation of Pence's leadership in Indiana. Doesn't bode well for Pence if he were to become President and attempt to be re-elected.

Pretty much.

A good indicator of Pence's popularity (or lack thereof) was that Pence's own Lt. Governor, Eric Holcomb, who was elected Governor himself this year, ran explicitly on a platform of having worked with the governor before Pence, Mitch Daniels. He didn't tout working with Pence while trying to get elected. Pretty telling, IMO.

His RFRA, Planned Parenthood, state-run media and host of other shenanigans were pretty harmful to the state.

No articles of impeachment were ever drawn up against Obama. Those were all TV show fodder.

The Democrats drew up articles of impeachment for W Bush over Valerie Plame and the Iraq war, but the Judiciary Committee didn't take action on it before he left office.

The bolded part, true enough. But a few republicans absolutely did try to garner enough support to proceed and they failed.

Vector Victor said: Yup, just ask Pence's fellow Republicans in the state of Indiana who are systematically fixing everything Pence neglected or broke while in office.

http://www.indystar....-work/97699694/

​As I read the article you linked to, this paragraph made me shudder:

Pence had declined to pardon Cooper before leaving office, insisting that he exhaust his legal options despite resounding evidence of his innocence. Pence's refusal to exonerate the 49-year-old Chicago man came despite a pardon recommendation from the Indiana Parole Board and an online petition urging Pence to clear Cooper's name that had collected more than 100,000 signatures.

​Resounding evidence that a man had been wrongly convicted, and Pence ignores it and lets him remain in jail. What a piece of ____ing sh__.

Flynn, & Felony charges:

I do not recall that as it was 8 years before I was born. However I'll take your word for it.

According to Wikipedia, the succession line goes from Trump to Pence to Ryan to Orrin and then to Sec of State. How is it that he would jump Orrin Hatch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

You are correct. I forgot about the President pro tempore of the Senate is after the Speaker. Good catch :thumbs

I'm old enough to remember when angry people told me Clinton would sell our government off to the highest bidder and that people could buy access with her.

Leaked Trump tape: 'You are the special people

Exclusive audio shows how Trump lets loose at his clubs — inviting guests to join him on staff interviews

“We’re doing a lot of interviews tomorrow — generals, dictators, we have everything,” Trump told the crowd, according to an audio tape of his closed-press remarks obtained by POLITICO from a source in the room. “You may wanna come around. It’ll be fun. We’re really working tomorrow. We have meetings every 15, 20 minutes with different people that will form our government."

"We’re going to be interviewing everybody — Treasury, we’re going to be interviewing Secretary of State,” he continued. “We have everybody coming in — if you want to come around, it’s going to be unbelievable….so you might want to come along.”

-----------------

“So, this is my real group,” Trump said at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, on November 18, according to the audio tape. “These are the people that came here in the beginning, when nobody knew what this monster was gonna turn out to be, right?”

He added: “I see all of you. I recognize, like 100 percent of you, just about.”

----------------

Trump had a packed schedule of meetings that weekend less than two weeks after the election. On the Saturday after the cocktail party, Trump met with Mitt Romney, Michelle Rhee, Betsy DeVos, Todd Ricketts, Bob Woodson, Lew Eisenberg and Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong. On Sunday, John Gray, Kris Kobach, Wilbur Ross, Chris Christie, Rudy Giuliani, Robert Johnson and David McCormick all schlepped out to Bedminster for meetings.

----------------

Turning to a longtime club member that night, he said: “We were just talking about who we [are] going to pick for the FCC, who [are] we going to pick for this, who we gonna accept -- boy, can you give me some recommendations?”

---------------

Trump isn’t totally cut off from his old set of contacts when he is working from the White House. He keeps the same cell phone number he had before the election, but he is more careful now -- friends leave messages for him on his cell phone, and their calls are returned from a secure line, two people who speak regularly to Trump said.

---------------

The compliments of the guests, however, don’t come for free. Part of the appeal, for Trump, is that they’re all paying him. Last weekend, after delivering a joint statement on North Korea with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Trump stopped by a wedding at the club.

“They’ve been members of this club for a long time,” Trump said, referring to the bride's family. “They’ve paid me a fortune.” Since his election, Mar-a-Lago has reportedly doubled its initiation fee to $200,000.

And the fact that the club family doesn’t come for free is a running rib. At the party at Bedminster, Trump nudged his new chief of staff, Reince Priebus, to speak to the crowd. “These members are loaded, Reince,” he said. “He will work the room for campaign contributions. Don’t quote me!

I'm speechless.

I guess it truly is OK when a Republican does it.

• 5 months later...