25 best coaching jobs in college football

Frostberg

Honestly Geography is the reason. We have the resources, we have the fan base, we have the tradition, we have the facilities, we have a recruiting-centric staff, we have the stadiun, we have the conference and we have the history.

We are just smack dab in the middle of the country which is worlds away for some kids and that also makes it a much harder to set up relationships. We have a small fenced in backyard to play in compared to the Disney Land of recruiting a school in California, Ohio, Florida or Texas has.

It's not impossible by any means. It's just a big hurdle.

This is the dirty truth that most Nebraska fans just don't want to admit to themselves. If I am a kid from San Diego and have offers from Nebrasak, USC, Arizona, Michigan and Washington where am I going to school? Nebraska is rectuiting me very hard and I like my position coach. I loved my visit the facilites and the fans were 10 out of 10. But USC has always been the dream even if their facilites aren't as good. It is a lot closer to home. On sighning day at the hat thing Nebraska and USC are on the table. The pick is USC. I think we saw this happen about 3 weeks ago didn't we?

• Fire 1

Honestly Geography is the reason. We have the resources, we have the fan base, we have the tradition, we have the facilities, we have a recruiting-centric staff, we have the stadiun, we have the conference and we have the history.

We are just smack dab in the middle of the country which is worlds away for some kids and that also makes it a much harder to set up relationships. We have a small fenced in backyard to play in compared to the Disney Land of recruiting a school in California, Ohio, Florida or Texas has.

This is the dirty truth that most Nebraska fans just don't want to admit to themselves. If I am a kid from San Diego and have offers from Nebrasak, USC, Arizona, Michigan and Washington where am I going to school? Nebraska is rectuiting me very hard and I like my position coach. I loved my visit the facilites and the fans were 10 out of 10. But USC has always been the dream even if their facilites aren't as good. It is a lot closer to home. On sighning day at the hat thing Nebraska and USC are on the table. The pick is USC. I think we saw this happen about 3 weeks ago didn't we?

While what you're saying is true to an extent, the reverse is also true: we signed Tyjon Lindsay, Tristian Gebbia, Elijah Blades, etc.

And most Nebraska fans are definitely NOT in denial about how geography affects recruiting, so on that point, I think you're wrong.

The point is: it's recruiting and we're going to win some of those battles and we're going to lose some. That's the way it is because we can't do anything about geography. But that doesn't mean we don't go after elite/top prospects with everything we have.

While what you're saying is true to an extent, the reverse is also true: we signed Tyjon Lindsay, Tristian Gebbia, Elijah Blades, etc.

And most Nebraska fans are definitely NOT in denial about how geography affects recruiting, so on that point, I think you're wrong.

The point is: it's recruiting and we're going to win some of those battles and we're going to lose some. That's the way it is because we can't do anything about geography. But that doesn't mean we don't go after elite/top prospects with everything we have.

Of coarse they will win some and they will lose some and no I don't think it means we don't go after the best tht we want. My point was that the geography when all said and done is usually going to be the biggest decideing factor.

Trust me there are many people that don't understand why someone would choose Starkville MS or Fayettville AR over Lincoln NE. They always say those towns are sh#t holes, LIncoln is a great place. Those places are much closer to home.

As someone born and raised in Nebraska, who's since left and lived in Atlanta and Chicago, I definitely get the struggle/perspective of those who don't have us that highly.

I'm currently struggling to pay bills month to month, and don't have a ton of friends here, but am about to turn down a 40-50k/yr job back in Lincoln because I just really don't have any interest in being back there right now.

Just my two cents on this comment from working in the mortgage industry.

People always forget how good some Midwest states have it when it comes to living standards. I see so many appraisals on the coasts where people are paying $400k for a dump of a house or a tiny tiny condo in a large city. I can take half that price and get a good sized yard and a house that is 5 years old with good square footage. Now, of course those people will make more money in the big cities, but it doesn't equate to the life you can have around here. Also things like less traffic and commutes to work, lower property taxes, community support etc.

• Fire 1

The two reasons Nebraska isn't on the list

1. No recent national success in over 15 years. Not saying we have been terrible by any means
  2. Very hard state to recruit from

I think these were huge reasons Nebraska was left off the list but, if that were true, why is Michigan St. at 17?

Nebraska and Michigan St. have almost the exact same four-year recruit ranking score as one another, according to SB Nation. Michigan St. has had higher highs, but they've also had some incredible lows. Nebraska has better overall facilities and they have more support for the football program than MSU does. MSU will also ALWAYS be the dinky pimply-faced little brother to Michigan.

I know I'm biased but when you go tit for tat I don't know how MSU is there and Nebraska isn't.

Anyone surprised OU is as high as they are? I am. I realize they are next to Texas, but the state of Texas has some pretty decent teams right now. I'd put OU slightly ahead of us because they are a neighbor to Texas, but I don't know that I'd have them on my top 25 list. Notre Dame also seems a bit high to me as well when considering some of the high profile coaches that have turned them down in the last couple of decades. I'm not sure they have the recipe to ever become elite.

Anyone surprised OU is as high as they are? I am. I realize they are next to Texas, but the state of Texas has some pretty decent teams right now. I'd put OU slightly ahead of us because they are a neighbor to Texas, but I don't know that I'd have them on my top 25 list. Notre Dame also seems a bit high to me as well when considering some of the high profile coaches that have turned them down in the last couple of decades. I'm not sure they have the recipe to ever become elite.

I think you underestimate the draw of going to OU with Texas kids. They pluck a ton out of the DFW area every year. Dallas is closer to Norman than it is to Austin. They may be a little high but probably 9 or 10 on the list. I do think ND is high I would say 20-25 for them.

1. No recent national success in over 15 years. Not saying we have been terrible by any means

I think these were huge reasons Nebraska was left off the list but, if that were true, why is Michigan St. at 17?

Nebraska and Michigan St. have almost the exact same four-year recruit ranking score as one another, according to SB Nation. Michigan St. has had higher highs, but they've also had some incredible lows. Nebraska has better overall facilities and they have more support for the football program than MSU does. MSU will also ALWAYS be the dinky pimply-faced little brother to Michigan.

I know I'm biased but when you go tit for tat I don't know how MSU is there and Nebraska isn't.

2010 - shared the B10 title (11-2) record

2011 - lost in the B10 championship game (11-3) record

2012 - 7-6 record

2013 - won the B10 championship (13-1 record)

2014 - (11-2 record), won the Cotton bowl

2015 - won the B10 championship game (12-2 record)

2016 - 3-9 (terrible season)

Overall besides last year they have a WAY better body of work than we do since 2010. I would easily trade a 9 win season for a year we had two years ago if it meant we could win the B10 and win more than 10 games 5/7 years.

2010 - shared the B10 title (11-2) record

2011 - lost in the B10 championship game (11-3) record

2012 - 7-6 record

2013 - won the B10 championship (13-1 record)

2014 - (11-2 record), won the Cotton bowl

2015 - won the B10 championship game (12-2 record)

2016 - 3-9 (terrible season)

Overall besides last year they have a WAY better body of work than we do since 2010. I would easily trade a 9 win season for a year we had two years ago if it meant we could win the B10 and win more than 10 games 5/7 years.

That's a whole lot of success there. You have two seasons that are struggles but when you're seeing 11, 12, and 13 wins you can have a down year every now and then. 3-9 is a pretty steep drop off but their recruiting didn't suffer much. 3 Big 10 titles and quality bowl wins definitely puts them far and away above us. Also, I would imagine their fan base puts less pressure on them then we put on ours. That alone is probably worth its weight in gold. Dantonio has a job for life there I'd imagine.