25 best coaching jobs in college football

Frostberg

Nebraska once had a reputation for big, smart linemen. Particularly on offense -- where linemen don't get as much attention. But an offensive lineman got attention at Nebraska and a pipeline to the NFL. They weren't all local farmboys, but that reputation didn't hurt, either. It was kinda our thing.

And I think recruits at the skill positions -- and their handlers -- figured out that everyone looks better with a great offensive line.

Big Ern said: You have to realize the difference in basketball and football is the numbers needed to win. You can get 1-2 great players in basketball and that can get you to the Final 4 possibly. You have a lot more control with only 5 players on the floor for your team who all play both ways. I feel it is a lot easier to maintain the program's prestige in this regard.

​Then why does the Nebraska men's BB team pretty much define mediocrity to poor?

P.S. Don't worry about answering cause this is the football forum and I'm just razzing you a little. :)

Big Ern said: You have to realize the difference in basketball and football is the numbers needed to win. You can get 1-2 great players in basketball and that can get you to the Final 4 possibly. You have a lot more control with only 5 players on the floor for your team who all play both ways. I feel it is a lot easier to maintain the program's prestige in this regard.

​Then why does the Nebraska men's BB team pretty much define mediocrity to poor?

P.S. Don't worry about answering cause this is the football forum and I'm just razzing you a little. :)

We have no history of being a good basketball team. We have never won a single game in the NCAA Tournament which is incredibly sad. By great players I mean there are only about 10-15 of them a year at most. These kids go to Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and UCLA - places that once dominated the sport and have maintained that edge for the most part.

Anyone surprised OU is as high as they are? I am. I realize they are next to Texas, but the state of Texas has some pretty decent teams right now. I'd put OU slightly ahead of us because they are a neighbor to Texas, but I don't know that I'd have them on my top 25 list. Notre Dame also seems a bit high to me as well when considering some of the high profile coaches that have turned them down in the last couple of decades. I'm not sure they have the recipe to ever become elite.

I think you underestimate the draw of going to OU with Texas kids. They pluck a ton out of the DFW area every year. Dallas is closer to Norman than it is to Austin. They may be a little high but probably 9 or 10 on the list. I do think ND is high I would say 20-25 for them.

My only point with OU is how in the heck are they higher on the list than Texas? I don't even think I'd put them higher than A&M. Texas belongs in the top 5 while OU does not.

I would rate the Top Ten about like this:

Ohio State, Bama, OU, Texas, USC, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Oregon, Nebraska, and the order is fairly close, although maybe move Nebraska up a couple notches. But I place a great deal of weight on "tradition, winning and long term stability. The latest 'flash in the pan' programs just don't carry the same prestige and gravitas and brand quality. I realize that some of the historical strength and longevity may not weigh as heavily or even at all in the minds of teenaged recruits, but it does with their coaches, parents and grandparents, and the commentators and pundits with status. In my view anyway.

I ommitted Notre Dame which probably should be included but not sure who I would omit.

This list is lol worthy.

Clemson is not the #3 job in the country. UF and UGA and much higher than 10 and 11. And no way is Oklahoma higher than Texas.

MSU and TCU aren't in the top 20 either.

Have to disagree with you here. True college town. Clemson is the only thing in town. Beautiful campus with a new state of the art football facility. National champions, played for the MNC last year. Recruiting hotbed and they are winners.

• Fire 1

This list is lol worthy.

Clemson is not the #3 job in the country. UF and UGA and much higher than 10 and 11. And no way is Oklahoma higher than Texas.

Have to disagree with you here. True college town. Clemson is the only thing in town. Beautiful campus with a new state of the art football facility. National champions, played for the MNC last year. Recruiting hotbed and they are winners.
were they winners before Dabo took over? Not really. I think Clemson is a good job but I agree with RedFive. A top 25 job for sure but I can think of at least 5 better jobs than Clemson.

Honestly Geography is the reason. We have the resources, we have the fan base, we have the tradition, we have the facilities, we have a recruiting-centric staff, we have the stadiun, we have the conference and we have the history.

We are just smack dab in the middle of the country which is worlds away for some kids and that also makes it a much harder to set up relationships. We have a small fenced in backyard to play in compared to the Disney Land of recruiting a school in California, Ohio, Florida or Texas has.

It's not impossible by any means. It's just a big hurdle.

I get tired of this argument...explain to me why KU basketball is a powerhouse year after year? Let me tell you that Lawrence KS is no better that Lincoln NE. The reason kids go there is because they are an elite program and they challenge for championships year in and year out. If we made ourselves elite by winning the big games and opening up the wallet for some top their coaches we would be reeling in the blue chippers on a regular basis (coaches and players), I guarantee that. I understand basketball is different than football and a kid can go 1 and done in hoops on the way to the pros, but you get the idea. I agree we have to be more aggressive and innovative in recruiting but the bottom line is, we need to start winning prime time games to get good players here.

This is a big apples and oranges thing. As Ern said, it is much more of a numbers game in football than basketball. With 1-2 elite players in bball you can have a great team. In football you need a lot more. Freshman BBall players that are elite generally come into the game ready to contribute and excell, not so much in football. Kansas has huge tradition in BBall going back to the beginning. Lawrence KS is only about 40 miles from the KC area. They generally produce 1-2 really good ball players every year and they go to KU. One great bball player from a 500 mile radius around Lawrence is going to make a huge difference in that team. One great football player in the 500 mile radius around Lincoln is great to have in the program, but is only a piece of the puzzle.

Kansas has had down times in BBall. They had stretches in the 60's,70's and early 80's where they were decent, but nothing special. They took a chance on an NBA coach that had worn out his welcome in the 80's (Larry Brown), and he convinced 1 super elite ball player (Danny Manning) by giving his dad a job to come to Kansas and that jump started their program back into relevance. Even with that they barely made the tournament in 1988 when they won it all as Danny and the Miracles. Larry Brown leaves and they took a huge chance on bringing in an assistant (Roy Williams) from NC on the recomendation of a Kansas grad(Dean Smith). Bill Self is the ony established college winner they have brought in to coach in the last 25 years.

This list is lol worthy.

I would put Alabama, USC, Ohio State and Texas above Clemson. I'd even consider LSU.

That's my problem with this list. It seems they put a lot of weight on who is good right now, and they seem to treat it as the single-greatest contributing factor. It certainly matters. But, Clemson isn't even a national brand like half the teams on that list yet somehow they're a better 'job' than Texas AND USC? Pretty laughable.

They also may be the biggest thing in town but they're not even the biggest university in the state - South Carolina takes that crown by a substantial margin.

This list is lol worthy.

I would put Alabama, USC, Ohio State and Texas above Clemson. I'd even consider LSU.

That's my problem with this list. It seems they put a lot of weight on who is good right now, and they seem to treat it as the single-greatest contributing factor. It certainly matters. But, Clemson isn't even a national brand like half the teams on that list yet somehow they're a better 'job' than Texas AND USC? Pretty laughable.

They also may be the biggest thing in town but they're not even the biggest university in the state - South Carolina takes that crown by a substantial margin.

It's all opinion. I'd much rather live in SC (duh) than Bama, Ohio, Texas etc....but that's just me. If you look at winning (Clemson), cost of living, quality of life, fan base, money spent by University etc.....Clemson is a sweet gig. Part of it also might be expectations. Clemson last MNC was 1981......throw in some conference titles here and there, some bowl wins etc and folks are happy. Now check back in 10 years if Clemson continues their winning ways (or not) and see where they are on the list.

NU rights the ship and we start winning again, we'll move up.

My first thought was "Well who is in the top 25" I get that the huskers location is a challenge but the brand and resources are also huge. I would put Oregon, Arkansas, TCU, Mighigan State, Tex A&M, Va. Tech, all behind the Huskers. If the huskers can line up just one or two 10+ win seasons in a row they will get a huge and very quick jump to the top and in today's world where transportation in easier than in the past I think location can be easily offset . TCU in the top 20 makes me thing a 20 year old put this list together. I think the Huskers should be in about the same spot as Penn State.

This list is lol worthy.

It's all opinion. I'd much rather live in SC (duh) than Bama, Ohio, Texas etc....but that's just me. If you look at winning (Clemson), cost of living, quality of life, fan base, money spent by University etc.....Clemson is a sweet gig. Part of it also might be expectations. Clemson last MNC was 1981......throw in some conference titles here and there, some bowl wins etc and folks are happy. Now check back in 10 years if Clemson continues their winning ways (or not) and see where they are on the list.

NU rights the ship and we start winning again, we'll move up.

Oh I know. I won't begrudge your thoughts on it. I just disagree with the weight associated to current success from this author.

If it were me, I would have left current success out of the equation and built a list. Then, I would have made subtle adjustments based on their recent performance. But, Clemson's current success (in my opinion) isn't enough to say that it's a "better job" than USC or Texas.

This list is lol worthy.

It's fine that you have a different metric, but personally, I don't think yours makes much sense.

Would you rather have a job with less pressure/stress, in a better town/state, but still a very high level of resources? Or would you rather have the worst pressure-cooker job possible in an awful place to live even though you would have the chance be the best and have the best if you're really good?

If I was a college football coach I would take the Clemson job over the Bama job any day, but especially right now.