Han Solo Spinoff Confirmed

2 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:
  Hide contents

Must of missed it. Was it simply to annoy Han, that's what I've thought since I realized with help that Lando says his name different.

Ya. It's at the first card game. Han introduces himself. Landon calls him "Han" (rhymes with pan), Han corrects him and Lando purposely says it wrong again and continues to say it wrong throughout.

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

It is a shame that certain elements* within the Star Wars fanbase are boycotting this movie.

* I would expand on this, but that gets into politics and isnt't suitable for this thread.  And, I dont know if this topic deserves a separate thread.

Is it due to the robot?

I thought she was hilarious. And she wasn't really a feminist or even a robotist, she was anti slavery. Which... no one should have a problem with.

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Is it due to the robot?

Hide contents

I thought she was hilarious. And she wasn't really a feminist or even a robotist, she was anti slavery. Which... no one should have a problem with.

The robot is part of it certainly, but only as an after the fact add on.  This boycott was being planned long before Solo hit theaters.  And yeah you're spot on about the anti-slavery analysis.  Unfortunately those who are boycotting this film are... 

(I won't finish that thought because it is more suited for the Woodshed than this thread, or even the P&R forum.)

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Is it due to the robot?

Hide contents

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The robot is part of it certainly, but only as an after the fact add on.  This boycott was being planned long before Solo hit theaters.  And yeah you're spot on about the anti-slavery analysis.  Unfortunately those who are boycotting this film are... 

(I won't finish that thought because it is more suited for the Woodshed than this thread, or even the P&R forum.)

I don't buy that the extreme drop off is just because alt-righters didn't like TLJ.  Sure it's a factor, but I think it's more that the majority of people (according to Rotton Tomatoes) did not like it.  The other factors is that it was released over Memorial Day (whose best weekend ever was just under $140 million by a POTC movie), the apathy and bad press caused by fans not liking TLJ and the general direction of Lucasfilm movies (All other Star Wars films have Audience/Critics are within 10-15 points, TLJ is close to 50 points), the stories coming from Solo production tanked interest and hype  (Alden needing an acting coach and the firing of directors who had directed well liked movies like Lord and Miller had the biggest news), and finally it being the 3rd "tentpole" movie in a month (following Avengers: IW and Deadpool 2).  I'm single, I don't have a family, so I can see a movie for $10-$15.  Families (2 kids and 2 adults) need to drop at least $50.00 in Nebraska, but even more in other states.

I believe if they would have kept the December release schedule, it would have performed better.

Chart of Star Wars Rotton Tomatoes scores (only one outlier):

auyn2v7931111.png

• Plus1 2

On 6/3/2018 at 4:35 PM, whateveritis1224 said:

I don't buy that the extreme drop off is just because alt-righters didn't like TLJ.  Sure it's a factor, but I think it's more that the majority of people (according to Rotton Tomatoes) did not like it.  The other factors is that it was released over Memorial Day (whose best weekend ever was just under $140 million by a POTC movie), the apathy and bad press caused by fans not liking TLJ and the general direction of Lucasfilm movies (All other Star Wars films have Audience/Critics are within 10-15 points, TLJ is close to 50 points), the stories coming from Solo production tanked interest and hype  (Alden needing an acting coach and the firing of directors who had directed well liked movies like Lord and Miller had the biggest news), and finally it being the 3rd "tentpole" movie in a month (following Avengers: IW and Deadpool 2).  I'm single, I don't have a family, so I can see a movie for $10-$15.  Families (2 kids and 2 adults) need to drop at least $50.00 in Nebraska, but even more in other states.

I believe if they would have kept the December release schedule, it would have performed better.

Chart of Star Wars Rotton Tomatoes scores (only one outlier):

auyn2v7931111.png

I definitely think timing was important. The 5 month window was way too short. This is the first time I've waited to go to a Star Wars movie and it was basically a toss up for me between this and Deadpool 2. I thought about waiting until I could watch it online. I did end up really liking it but it didn't excite me.

What I really want from Star Wars after the Skywalker story is over is a series set in a completely different time period (like the KOTOR games, which were awesome).

Agree on the poor timing of the release.  There isn't another Star Wars movie coming out this year, so why they rushed this into the May release date is baffling. There's definitely some Star Wars fatigue that this movie suffers from.  Just too many movies too frequently. 

The spacing of the previous canon films were once every three years.  Now they've released four movies in less than 2.5 years.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I wonder if the relatively poor reception of Episodes VII and VIII are dragging it down as well.  :dunno

It is for me at least. My son wants to see Solo, so we'll probably go to the theater and see it. But if it weren't for my son, I'd definitely wait for it come out on Redbox because the recent movies have been mediocre to poor.

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I wonder if the relatively poor reception of Episode VIII are dragging it down as well.  :dunno

FTFY.  When episode VII came out there was little to no backlash and per the chart above 88% of audiences liked it.  With TLJ, while critics liked it, most of the general audience did not like it.  I also pointed out the most likely general reasons for the Box Office failure of Solo above (though it probably is a combination of them all).

11 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

When episode VII came out there was little to no backlash

There are threads in the Lounge here where lots of us discuss the lots of problems we had with VII, and I and some others provided links to good articles explaining the problems.

I still liked it, but it had many flaws.

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There are threads in the Lounge here where lots of us discuss the lots of problems we had with VII, and I and some others provided links to good articles explaining the problems.

Talking about general perception.  There was very little backlash when Episode VII came out and both Critics and Audiences liked it a lot.  Also my feel is that the backlash came later, like 6 months or so after TFA was released.  There definitely was not an immediate turn on the movie within a week of its release like there was with TLJ (at least on the audience side).  Maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses on this subject.

10 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Talking about general perception.  There was very little backlash when Episode VII came out and both Critics and Audiences liked it a lot.  Also my feel is that the backlash came later, like 6 months or so after TFA was released.  There definitely was not an immediate turn on the movie within a week of its release like there was with TLJ (at least on the audience side).  Maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses on this subject.

I kinda think you are. It was a huge box office success, and even with the flaws I griped about I saw it twice, but there was a lot of talk about the issues people had with it. 

I think people were so starved for Star Wars that the hype drowned out the critics, and that's maybe what you're recalling.  Certainly we were all jacked up to see another Star Wars film.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

That still isn't accurately perceived as a poor reception. Critics loved it, it was the biggest opening weekend in the history of movies, and audience scores in actual surveys/metrics loved it as well. 

Even TLJ barely counts as 'poor' reception imo. But it does a lot more than TFA, which was positive about as far around as you could possibly imagine.

35 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That still isn't accurately perceived as a poor reception. Critics loved it, it was the biggest opening weekend in the history of movies, and audience scores in actual surveys/metrics loved it as well. 

Even TLJ barely counts as 'poor' reception imo. But it does a lot more than TFA, which was positive about as far around as you could possibly imagine.

That's fine, but that's not what I'm saying.  I'm not telling you it was universally received poorly.  I'm telling you it wasn't universally well-received. 

• Plus1 1