Han Solo Spinoff Confirmed

• 3 weeks later...

14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That trailer did nothing for me. That's not Han. None of those lines sound like something he would say or do...

I'll admit, it's a bit tough for me, too. The biggest reason I'm not a fan of these spinoff movies is because they feel like they're over-saturating the Star Wars market. It's too much. Part of the Star Wars allure is what feels like the interminable wait between trilogies. The Clone Wars and Rebels are one thing (animated series to fill a niche market, much like the Animatrix). This all feels unnecessary.

That and Rogue One wasn't a good movie. My expectations for this are poor.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'll admit, it's a bit tough for me, too. The biggest reason I'm not a fan of these spinoff movies is because they feel like they're over-saturating the Star Wars market. It's too much. Part of the Star Wars allure is what feels like the interminable wait between trilogies. The Clone Wars and Rebels are one thing (animated series to fill a niche market, much like the Animatrix). This all feels unnecessary.

I do think they may be moving a bit fast with the Solo movie.  But, I personally like the stand alone movies.  You are wrong, :blink: Rogue One was a pretty good movie.  

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Rogue one was ok. There was just way too much planet hoping for the first two thirds of the movie, and too many characters introduce for you to care about them.

You're right that things have been over saturated. They should flesh out characters we don't see on screen very much Boba Fett, Lando, Wedge Antilles, Darth Maul, etc. There's a lot to choose from. We know Han. Anything but a spot on performance emulating his every mannerisms is going to be a disappointment. Harrison Ford made him a pretty memorable and specific character. 

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Rogue one was ok. There was just way too much planet hoping for the first two thirds of the movie, and too many characters introduce for you to care about them.

You're right that things have been over saturated. They should flesh out characters we don't see on screen very much Boba Fett, Lando, Wedge Antilles, Darth Maul, etc. There's a lot to choose from. We know Han. Anything but a spot on performance emulating his every mannerisms is going to be a disappointment. Harrison Ford mad him a pretty memorable and specific character. 

Spot on with the bolded - the only redeemable quality for me was the last two and a half minutes. The rest of the movie lacked strong writing, character development and structure.  That's ultimately my concern with Solo.

I'm also in agreement with your line about mannerisms and portrayal. This will inherently draw comparisons and expectations. This isn't like Batman, Spiderman or some superhero universe that gives substantial wiggle room for an actor to bring a new 'take' on a character. Harrison Ford is Han Solo as much as Han Solo is Harrison Ford. Alden Ehrenreich has to perform the role the way another actor envisioned it and I don't think there's an easy way to make that work.