Sack Attack

Blackshirts hope to continue "sack attack" in '06

Last season, the Nebraska Cornhuskers ranked 26th nationally in total defense, a ranking achieved thanks in large part to a dominant pass rush. As a result, the Blackshirts finished the season with 50 sacks, a total that was tops in the nation. This year, fans of Big Red can expect more of the same as several key players return in hopes of giving an encore performance.

DE Adam Carriker was the heart and soul of the defense in ‘05, and he returns this year for his senior season in Lincoln. The 6’6”, 295 lb. defensive end accounted for 9.5 sacks last year en route to being a first team All-Big 12 selection by the AP. Carriker will be looked to once again to provide leadership and stability on the Blackshirt defensive front. Also returning this season are LB Corey McKeon (7 sacks) and DE Barry Turner (6 sacks). McKeon led all Husker defenders with 98 tackles last season, while Turner’s 6 sacks tied for the national lead among all freshmen. Overall, the Huskers return players who accounted for 34.5 of the 50 sacks in ’05, so there is certainly reason for optimism once again. In addition, looking at the numbers from last season should give fans further reason to expect big things from the Blackshirts.

While the 50 sacks certainly represented an impressive number, it could have actually been higher. When you take into consideration the fact that more than half (26) of the team’s sacks were piled up in the first four games, it isn’t presumptuous to think about exceeding that number this year. In a three-game stretch against Oklahoma, Kansas, and Kansas St., the Huskers had four sacks total. In all other games played in ’05, the defense delivered a minimum of four sacks in each one.

Regardless of whether or not this year’s defense can break the school record for back-to-back season sack total (93 set in the ‘84/’85 seasons), one thing should remain constant. Opposing quarterbacks will be spending a lot of time up close and personal with this Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive unit in the fall, whether it be on the run or from on their backs.

95 was pretty close to lights out mabel. I don't think there was a weak link except for a perceived one with Booker. He proved Florida wrong. The older teams also had some great players just not in as great a concentration. Course back in the day, the Big 8 was in reality a 2 horse race. NU and OU basically.

GBR

PS It isn't OLD TIMER it is experienced. Right AR? AR are you awake? :cheers

I'm offically jacked for our front 7 now.  Wow. 

For all you old-timers out there, maybe you can tell me when we had a Front 7 better than this one?

pick pretty much any front 7 from the mid 90's. all of those were better.

I don't know if I would say that. They haven't played yet.

I'm offically jacked for our front 7 now.  Wow. 

For all you old-timers out there, maybe you can tell me when we had a Front 7 better than this one?

pick pretty much any front 7 from the mid 90's. all of those were better.

I don't know if I would say that. They haven't played yet.

then how can anyone say how dominant and how great they are this year?

the ones from the 90's had many all americans, award winners (butkus, lombardi) won many conference titles and 3 nc's. this crew hasnt done anything yet.