Spring Practice - Offensive Line

lo country said: Our OL,again appears to be the weakest link. That sucks. With a brand new non-mobile QB and an "iffy" running game it could make for a long year.

​I'm certainly not ready to say the sky is falling, or channel Bender and say we're doomed, because it is still spring ball...

But I agree with you Lo Country, with Nebraska moving to more pocket passer types at QB, if the OL can't generate a push in the running game or protect the QB on passing downs, this team could be royally screwed.

I want Mike Riley to succeed here at Nebraska. I want him to be successful. I want him to bring Nebraska back to the elite of college football. But I also have a tendency to think this season will be his "make or break" year.

Yes Nebraska has a pretty tough schedule, but outside of Oregon and Penn State, literally all the other tough games are in Lincoln: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State, Iowa, etc. (Assuming of course the Huskers don't slip up against Illinois, Purdue, or some other scrub team that, on paper, has no business even being on the same field with the Nebraska.)

I read the article, and I am befuddled by Riley. He wants to get all real on the Offensive line. Talking out both sides of his mouth. After soundly beating UCLA by pounding the ball, Riley comes out and says running will be integral and they aim to be a top 3 rushing team in the conference. Then they immediately go backwards rushing for 11 less ypg, and finishing 9th in the B10. 169 ypg. So I guess what Riley says really doesnt mean much. Or it only goes until 3rd down, then chuck it. I remember clearly when we used to rush for 400 ypg.

I read the article, and I am befuddled by Riley. He wants to get all real on the Offensive line. Talking out both sides of his mouth. After soundly beating UCLA by pounding the ball, Riley comes out and says running will be integral and they aim to be a top 3 rushing team in the conference. Then they immediately go backwards rushing for 11 less ypg, and finishing 9th in the B10. 169 ypg. So I guess what Riley says really doesnt mean much. Or it only goes until 3rd down, then chuck it. I remember clearly when we used to rush for 400 ypg.

Two things:

1. You can have a plan, but if your personnel can't handle it then you won't accomplish it. Thus was the case the year following the UCLA bowl game.

2. Lord have mercy are you going back to the 90's? 400 rush yards per game? No one in the NCAA came close to that as an average (highest being 350 ypg). That includes teams that are all option all the time. Please come back to the current era of football.

Several of us have commented for quite some time now that the second and third string guys needed to play in games some and build experienced depth that will really understand the challenge of being a starter and put in the mental and physical efforts to get to the level needed to be quality players. I remain very concerned about this "we want to get to where we have 7 guys who are ready to go" thinking. NO! We want to have atleast 12 or 15 guys who are ready to go by Sept. 1 every fall. The two deep chart needs to be a three deep chart or more. We still have 150 or so on the roster but apparently about 100 or so are 'not ready for prime time players" so to speak.

As of now, there seem to be comments like we are short on receivers and we hear about basically a 2 QB race (POB vs. Lee) and really just 3 RBs in the race to start and nobody seems to be ready to step in at FB and TE spot is relatively unknowns again. Assuming we have about 70 offensive snaps over 13 games, that's about 900 per year. There is just no excuse for not having plenty of guys returning, especially during these first two Riley years of 'rebuilding' years. I am not comfortable with rebuilding while coming into year three without some improvement in depth atleast. I understand you can't recruit 5 stars level players immediately to a program that has been out of the spotlight for over a decade. But we should have plenty of depth in terms of quantity if not top notch quality wise.

Yes Nebraska has a pretty tough schedule, but outside of Oregon and Penn State, literally all the other tough games are in Lincoln: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State, Iowa, etc. (Assuming of course the Huskers don't slip up against Illinois, Purdue, or some other scrub team that, on paper, has no business even being on the same field with the Nebraska.)

I'd keep the Gophers and their hot new coach in mind as well. It's in Minnesota. In November. Might wanna have a running game ready for that.

The OL is full of FR and SO and this is somehow Cav's fault? I guess he could have called Bo 5 years ago and told him who to recruit so that his job would be easier once he arrived.

Have we seen any improvement in the OL in 2 years? Honest question? To my untrained eye, they seem incapable of getting push against equal teams, have the inability to pass pro, we have no depth, no development and Riley, in year 3, is trying to get them confidence and a tougher mentality. I blame it on Cav. I won't try and hide my opinion.

Hard to have a "go to" run play identity when we can't block......

The OL is full of FR and SO and this is somehow Cav's fault? I guess he could have called Bo 5 years ago and told him who to recruit so that his job would be easier once he arrived.

Have we seen any improvement in the OL in 2 years? Honest question? To my untrained eye, they seem incapable of getting push against equal teams, have the inability to pass pro, we have no depth, no development and Riley, in year 3, is trying to get them confidence and a tougher mentality. I blame it on Cav. I won't try and hide my opinion.

Hard to have a "go to" run play identity when we can't block......

Player development doesn't have a set time frame. As a coach you'd hope obviously that they pick it up quick, but the transition from high school to college is tougher than what we sometimes give it credit for. Patience. Set down the pitch forks and let the kids learn, grow, and gain experience.

We haven't blocked in the past. Last year was a tough journey with limited numbers at the OL spot. I'll reserve judgment on cav for this year. This line shouldn't be fully developed this season but they should be far enough along to beat good teams with the running game. We saw it at times last year, a few dominant drives by the OL so I think the potential is there, especially with the fresh blood we now have to work into the depth chart. Let's see how it goes this fall.

Knevel said he hurt his ankle in the Oregon game and couldn't do squats until after the Iowa game.

Mentioned that it hurt his strength but had to hurt mobility too.

Yep. I'm hoping last years injuries are the primary reason for his relative poor play. If not, then we will be in trouble at that position. Depth is still is a concern at OT.

Same because he was flat out bad at times.

?Worse? Apparently we don't have anyone better than Knevel to take his starting spot.

Two things:

1. You can have a plan, but if your personnel can't handle it then you won't accomplish it. Thus was the case the year following the UCLA bowl game.

2. Lord have mercy are you going back to the 90's? 400 rush yards per game? No one in the NCAA came close to that as an average (highest being 350 ypg). That includes teams that are all option all the time. Please come back to the current era of football.

No. The 1993,94,95,97 Huskers could line up and kick the dogsh** out of these kids. Why would I come back to that.

Two things:

No. The 1993,94,95,97 Huskers could line up and kick the dogsh** out of these kids. Why would I come back to that.

Mike Riley apologizes for not being 90's Nebraska football in 2017.

• Fire 3

Two things:

Mike Riley apologizes for not being 90's Nebraska football in 2017.
Cmon. Hit me with some truth. Justify 169 ypg. Justify listening to a man that says one thing then does another. Justify the low achievement of Husker football these days.
  • Fire 1

Our running numbers were down last year from 2015, which is too bad - but - it's hard to argue that our philosophy towards running the ball and being a more physical football team was improved over the year before. Tommy had over 100 less attempts in 2016 - partly due to injury, but also partly due to philosophy. We've spent the better part of the last decade focusing on yards and points being our metric for a good offense, and last year we went the most B1G we ever have in regards to our offense, ie, doesn't matter if it's pretty, doesn't matter if you put up huge numbers, just do whatever you need to do to win. This is the approach that teams like Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota have used in having success against us.

Our running numbers were down last year from 2015, which is too bad - but - it's hard to argue that our philosophy towards running the ball and being a more physical football team was improved over the year before. Tommy had over 100 less attempts in 2016 - partly due to injury, but also partly due to philosophy. We've spent the better part of the last decade focusing on yards and points being our metric for a good offense, and last year we went the most B1G we ever have in regards to our offense, ie, doesn't matter if it's pretty, doesn't matter if you put up huge numbers, just do whatever you need to do to win. This is the approach that teams like Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota have used in having success against us.

We got physical when it mattered in all but 3 games last year. Obviously those 3 games can't happen but I agree we made progress