Miles at NU

Posted in the Shed, but for those curious:

@Mav, I got your stats for you. ESPN has a stat callled RP40, or rebounds per 40 minutes played.

B1G:

Swanigan, Purdue, 15.8

Trevor Thompson, OSU, 15.8

Mike Watkins, Penn St, 13.9

Ethan Happ, Wisconsin, 13.0

Nick Ward, MSU, 12.9

Jordan Murphy, Minnesota, 12.7

Ed Morrow, Nebraska, 12.7

He is 8th in the conference for rebounding, tied for 6th if you go per minute. So his "big improvement" people were talking about when looking at per minute stats isn't real.

I AM NOT SAYING THIS ISN'T GOOD. I have never said Ed is a bad rebounder. Is he too aggressive? Yes. But he gets the numbers. No one disputes that. But that is a single facet of the game. Matty knows his stuff.

I'm not sure the winning percentage argument is a fair one. I know we are not where we want to be, but Miles has scheduled differently than previous coaches. For comparison, here are Sadler and Miles average SOS and records. Doc Sadler: Avg SOS-62 Avg Record: 16.8-14.8 Tim Miles: Avg SOS-35 (Last year's SOS was 100. Take that out and average is 19 over the other 4 years) Avg Record: 15-17 If Miles scheduled like Sadler, I would imagine he would be at least a .500 coach. Does .500 cut it? With an NCAA appearance or 2, maybe. Just don't like that winning percantage arguement without context.

Just look at conference record then. Other than the 2013-14 season, NU has finished near the bottom of the conference in every season under Miles, and seems to regress near the end of the season every year.

Miles hasn't been great, but we also aren't playing in the B12 anymore so that's apples to oranges.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf

Conference rankings big 10 is 4th. Big 12 is 2nd. So there goes your apples to oranges again ....

Because of teamrankings.com?? Kansas has won 13 TIMES IN A ROW. B12 isn't that good of a conference. Period. Great basketball is played on the East coast just like football is played in the South.

Conference rankings big 10 is 4th. Big 12 is 2nd. So there goes your apples to oranges again ....

This is silly - i'm guessing these are rankings from this season. We are talking about the big12 from 5 years ago and the big10 over the past 3/4 years. If you accept that 2 losses would have come to KU and then look at the rest of that sh**ty conference there is no comparison between the 2.

Glad to hear Miles will be back!!

- Miles will not get an extension to his contract (non factor because we only have 1 four year contract to fill)

- We will lose one player that hasn't contributed this year

- That spot will be replaced by a grad transfer that will be 1 and done - so player won't care if it is Miles last year

- We have some faces on the bench that should be excited to see if they can be successful in their first full season on the floor at NU

Will be interesting to see if Miles can sell this to the 10 or so players that he wants to have on the floor next season.

We have a chance to be pretty good next year or Miles could continue his current trend - it will be interesting......

Because of teamrankings.com?? Kansas has won 13 TIMES IN A ROW. B12 isn't that good of a conference. Period. Great basketball is played on the East coast just like football is played in the South.

None of that changes the fact that Miles has the worst overall record of any coach in the last 60 years of the program.

Look, if Miles can take a small, tiny school in the middle of nowhere to the NCAA tournament, I have faith that he can do the same here. Next year is his make it or break it year in my opinion.

You've had 6 years of empirical evidence that, outside of 1 month, he can't. And what tiny school in the middle of nowhere has he taken to the NCAA tournament?

Look, if Miles can take a small, tiny school in the middle of nowhere to the NCAA tournament, I have faith that he can do the same here. Next year is his make it or break it year in my opinion.

You've had 6 years of empirical evidence that, outside of 1 month, he can't. And what tiny school in the middle of nowhere has he taken to the NCAA tournament?

I have 6 previous to those years that say otherwise.

Your point is moot.

Colorado State is who he took the NCAA tournament. He went winless at CSU in conference play in year 4. The next year he took them to NCAA tournament.

Before CSU he took teams to the NAIA DII tournament appearances on multiple occasions. He was successful everywhere he went GIVEN TIME (read: 4-5 years)

I feel good about him being given another year with the roster he has. I think he'll do pretty well next year and we'll be in good shape.

Colorado State may not be in a Power 5 conference, but they're a bigger school than Nebraska by about 8,000 students and, comparative to Lincoln, Fort Collins is hardly "the middle of nowhere". While at Colorado State, he had a .477 winning percentage (.359 in conference), and that one trip to the NCAA tournament.

At Nebraska, he's got a .466 winning percentage(.367 in conference), the worst for a HC at Nebraska in 50+ years, plus one trip to the NCAA tournament. He has 4 losing seasons, and has finished higher than 10th in the Big Ten only once. That finish was largely on the back of one month when the team got incredibly hot.

So, as I said, you have one month of empirical evidence, I have 5 years. He's going into year 6, and he hasn't been successful here. To think that he's going to find a magic formula over the off-season is akin to believing in snake oil salesmen or divining rods.

• Fire 5

Your point is moot.

Colorado State is who he took the NCAA tournament. He went winless at CSU in conference play in year 4. The next year he took them to NCAA tournament.

Before CSU he took teams to the NAIA DII tournament appearances on multiple occasions. He was successful everywhere he went GIVEN TIME (read: 4-5 years)

I feel good about him being given another year with the roster he has. I think he'll do pretty well next year and we'll be in good shape.

Colorado State may not be in a Power 5 conference, but they're a bigger school than Nebraska by about 8,000 students and, comparative to Lincoln, Fort Collins is hardly "the middle of nowhere". While at Colorado State, he had a .477 winning percentage (.359 in conference), and that one trip to the NCAA tournament.

At Nebraska, he's got a .466 winning percentage(.367 in conference), the worst for a HC at Nebraska in 50+ years, plus one trip to the NCAA tournament. He has 4 losing seasons, and has finished higher than 10th in the Big Ten only once. That finish was largely on the back of one month when the team got incredibly hot.

So, as I said, you have one month of empirical evidence, I have 5 years. He's going into year 6, and he hasn't been successful here. To think that he's going to find a magic formula over the off-season is akin to believing in snake oil salesmen or divining rods.

To the last paragraph

He could find a way to defend the 3 point better and run some semblance of an offense and then we could make the tourney/have success.

Your point is moot.

To the last paragraph

He could find a way to defend the 3 point better and run some semblance of an offense and then we could make the tourney/have success.

That's possibly the most frustrating thing about Nebrasketball for me. If they can defend the 3 better, it could go a LONG ways to improving every other aspect of the game.

• Fire 1