cornheadnation

Mike Daum

I said something about him earlier this year in another thread but this kid should be playing for the Huskers. Just scored 37 and 12 boards in the summit league championship. Has had 3 40 point games this year according to the ESPN 2 announcers, also they were talking about how he will most likely leave for the draft early after one more season as he is only a sophomore. But not good enough for us.

• Plus1 1

I give Daum a ton of credit for busting his ass and making himself a better player and getting in better shape. But nobody saw this type of potential when he was coming out of high school. If they did, schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado State, etc, would have offered him scholarships. I am not sure what offers he had out of high school, but these performances are in one of the weakest Division 1 conferences in D1. I am sure he could have a role at NU in his current playing ability, but he wouldn't be a star in the Big Ten.

• Upvote 4

I said something about him earlier this year in another thread but this kid should be playing for the Huskers. Just scored 37 and 12 boards in the summit league championship. Has had 3 40 point games this year according to the ESPN 2 announcers, also they were talking about how he will most likely leave for the draft early after one more season as he is only a sophomore. But not good enough for us.

That's a pretty good exaggeration of what they said. Not that what announcers say has much to do with anything.

I would have like to watch him play more this year. I wanted to watch tonight but only got home for the last 10 minutes. He's obviously putting up numbers.

But I'm not ready to say the Huskers should have taken him. And it's not because I'm trying to defend Miles, in case you wondered. :P

I watched him play several games in high school. He was good. But I didn't think that he was athletic enough to play in the Power 5. Now, he's obviously put in a lot of work and gotten stronger. But I don't think even tearing up the Summit League guarantees that either, even with three years of hindsight. He wouldn't be getting the same shots against a couple steps up in competition. And I'm not sure how his defense would be. Like I said, this was the first I've gotten to see him since HS. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I saw more of his game. But this is with a lot of benefit of hindsight.

And I'm not even necessarily saying he couldn't help the Huskers now. We could use about any help we could get. But it was far from a given three years ago. It's not like the Huskers were the only ones to pass on him. Apparently Colorado and Iowa weren't beating down his door either. To say nothing of Colorado State or maybe even Wyoming.

Daum was getting taken to the hole by Omaha's center and Daum was much bigger. Thurman had 21 points on 8 of 12 shooting. He doesn't seem to be a good defender at all. He would be a pretty big liability on the defensive end at any major conference school.

• Upvote 2

Daum was getting taken to the hole by Omaha's center and Daum was much bigger. Thurman had 21 points on 8 of 12 shooting. He doesn't seem to be a good defender at all. He would be a pretty big liability on the defensive end at any major conference school.

That's the biggest thing I have been wanting to watch as he's been getting more pub this year. Seems like his offense could find a spot. But I'm most curious about his (lack of?) athleticism on defense.

That's a pretty good exaggeration of what they said. Not that what announcers say has much to do with anything.

I would have like to watch him play more this year. I wanted to watch tonight but only got home for the last 10 minutes. He's obviously putting up numbers.

But I'm not ready to say the Huskers should have taken him. And it's not because I'm trying to defend Miles, in case you wondered. :P

I watched him play several games in high school. He was good. But I didn't think that he was athletic enough to play in the Power 5. Now, he's obviously put in a lot of work and gotten stronger. But I don't think even tearing up the Summit League guarantees that either, even with three years of hindsight. He wouldn't be getting the same shots against a couple steps up in competition. And I'm not sure how his defense would be. Like I said, this was the first I've gotten to see him since HS. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I saw more of his game. But this is with a lot of benefit of hindsight.

And I'm not even necessarily saying he couldn't help the Huskers now. We could use about any help we could get. But it was far from a given three years ago. It's not like the Huskers were the only ones to pass on him. Apparently Colorado and Iowa weren't beating down his door either. To say nothing of Colorado State or maybe even Wyoming.

I guess I must have misheard what they were saying about him going to the next level then. I also got to watch him play a few times in high school, what I appreciated the most about him was the way he shot from outside. Usually kids out west, or even kids from Nebraska for that matter don't stand 6'9 and have that kind of skill set. I honestly wanted to see him go to Nebraska out of high school so I have that bias to start with. But it's hard to say that his ability to score couldn't be used on our current roster. I would see him being used pretty much the way McVeigh is used, only more versitile. That's my take, and I stand by what I said in saying that he should be a husker.

I feel we could have used him with his offensive prowess. Another thing to consider is he does not have to try as hard on defense at SDSU. If he gets scored on numerous times he is not getting subbed out because he is their best offensive player. At a place like NU I could see him playing a couple minutes a game and if he was a liability on defense he would realize he would not make it on the floor here. I believe we offered him a walk on but I do not know 100 percent, due to his offense he deserved at least that from NU. Wonder if he would be a McVeigh type player here, but with some worse defense than Jack-that is who I would compare him to.

One thing that wouldn't change much is his ability to shoot the 3 and pull out the big men on defense. Even if you cut his stats in HALF from going to the Summit to the B10 he would still average 12.5 pts and 4 reb. If you really don't think he would be a solid player for us you are lacking any basketball IQ

It's a pretty lazy assessment to watch him for 2-3 games and say "Oh, Nebraska missed on him big time". Well, so did Creighton, Omaha, Wyoming, Colorado, Colorado St. and every other Power 5 team. He simply wasn't a D-1 player coming out of HS. As BR pointed out, the kid was almost cut during his RS season; there's no way he would've been afforded the time to completely remake his body and work on his game if he were at Nebraska. He put the time in, worked his ass off, and has become one of the best scorers in CBB; there's absolutely no way to say he would have done the same thing at Nebraska or Creighton. It's the worst type of revisionist history when it comes to sports.

It's a pretty lazy assessment to watch him for 2-3 games and say "Oh, Nebraska missed on him big time". Well, so did Creighton, Omaha, Wyoming, Colorado, Colorado St. and every other Power 5 team. He simply wasn't a D-1 player coming out of HS. As BR pointed out, the kid was almost cut during his RS season; there's no way he would've been afforded the time to completely remake his body and work on his game if he were at Nebraska. He put the time in, worked his ass off, and has become one of the best scorers in CBB; there's absolutely no way to say he would have done the same thing at Nebraska or Creighton. It's the worst type of revisionist history when it comes to sports.

He had 9 D1 offers... notables such as Wyoming, UNO, SDSU, and Air Force

The main knock on kids like this is athleticism, but people always forget about 'how good are you at basketball'

The main knock on kids like this is athleticism, but people always forget about 'how good are you at basketball'

How do you think Mike Daum guarding Nigel Hayes would have gone this year?

He isn't a good defender, but we also just gave up 93 pts to an average Michigan team at home.

How nice would it have been to have a consistent 3P shooter and spread the floor more for the guards to penetrate?

I am not sure what the argument is?

Is Miles a bum for not offering Daum a scholarship out of high school? I don't think so. I don't think anyone expected Daum to blossom and develop to be at his current level.

Would NU benefit from having Daum (at his current level) on the team? I definitely think Daum would be a contributor, at least as a guy who can space the floor and shoot the 3. I think he would struggle big time against athletic big men which are found in the Big Ten. I think it would be tough to determine how much he would be able to contribute to a Big Ten team.

• Upvote 1

Having D-1 offers =/= being able to play at D-1 level. He would have washed out had he gone to a bigger school.

He isn't a good defender, but we also just gave up 93 pts to an average Michigan team at home.

How nice would it have been to have a consistent 3P shooter and spread the floor more for the guards to penetrate?

would've been fantastic, obviously. Against the 3 best teams SDSU played in the non-conference schedule (Wichita State, Cal, ETSU) Daum was 17-38 from the floor (44.7%) and 5-13 (38.4%) from 3.

For comparisons sake:

McVeigh, Jack: 71-192 (37%) from the field, 45-135 (33.3%) from 3

Horne, Jeriah: 46-112 (41.1%) from the field, 21-63 (33.3%) from 3

Roby, Isaiah: 37-91 (40.7%) from the field, 4-19 (21.1%) from 3

Gill, Anton: 16-59 (27.1%) from the field, 8-29 (27.6%) from 3

Taylor, Evan: 58-144 (40.3%) from the field, 4-22 (18.2%) from 3

Jacobson, Michael: 70-178 (39.3%) from the field, 4-23 (17.4%) from 3

http://www.huskers.com/fls/100/MBBStats/2017/TEAMCUME.HTM?DB_OEM_ID=100#TEAM.OCF

There is no doubt that offensively, Nebraska is about as effective as a sack of pubic hair laying at midcourt. I mean the fact that our starting Power Forward shoots 39.3% from the floor should probably tell you everything you need to know about how terrible Nebraska is at scoring the basketball. There is no denying that adding Daum would give us a lift on offense.

I just don't think you can definitevely say that he would have played anywhere near 1. the minutes he currently enjoys at SDSU 2. the freedom of shot selection he currently enjoys at SDSU and 3. as efficiently as he has for SDSU this season. Horne was in the dog house all year because his lack of ability to defend, while statistically being the best shooter we had on the team besides Tai or Glynn. Daum was eaten alive last night by Thurman of Omaha, seriously it was incredible to watch. Daum couldn't defend a castle if there was a moat surrounding it with no bridge and it was being attacked by Girl Scouts. No shot Miles would play him extensive minutes here and I severely doubt this kid would have developed like this if he came to UNL. Imagine the backlash of giving this kid a scholarship out of high school. He was so bad he almost got kicked out of SDSU. Best thing we can do is just cheer for him and maybe he would be interested in grad transferring to his home state for a year down the road.

Having D-1 offers =/= being able to play at D-1 level. He would have washed out had he gone to a bigger school.

Impossible to say. I'm sure if Drew Ott played at NDSU instead of Iowa a lot of people would make the same argument that it wouldn't have worked out if he played in the B10

Well luckily for you all we will get to see what he can do in the tournament against a P5 school. I'd assume they are in the 14-16 range for a seed.

His team will more than likely lose, but if he can truly compete, he will put up decent numbers. Hooray for March Madness and the opportunities to see these guys on a big stage.

Impossible to say. I'm sure if Drew Ott played at NDSU instead of Iowa a lot of people would make the same argument that it wouldn't have worked out if he played in the B10

1. Strawman argument.

2. You're talking about a completely different sport.

3. You're talking about someone who was actually offered a scholarship by a Big Ten institution. Ott also had a Kansas State football offer. Two P5 programs identified him as someone that could contribute as a P5 player. This thread is about Mike Daum, who chose between Wyoming, Air Force, and South Dakota State. Nobody in their right mind thought this kid was a P5 level player out of high school, and if he were at Nebraska or any other Big Ten institution right now he would be a backup role player at best because of his lack of athleticism on the defensive end. Stop digging yourself a hole trying to say this kid is a legit P5 level player. He's a nice story for SDSU and not much more than that.

• Upvote 1

Well luckily for you all we will get to see what he can do in the tournament against a P5 school. I'd assume they are in the 14-16 range for a seed.

His team will more than likely lose, but if he can truly compete, he will put up decent numbers. Hooray for March Madness and the opportunities to see these guys on a big stage.

I think he'll do well in the tournament; he's an incredibly tough match-up with range out of the gym on offense, but he does have some liability on D. Had Thurmond been a better free throw shooter, Omaha would have won last night.

My issue is with the false equivalency that he would be anywhere near the player he is today had he come to Nebraska.

1. Strawman argument.

3. You're talking about someone who was actually offered a scholarship by a Big Ten institution. Ott also had a Kansas State football offer. Two P5 programs identified him as someone that could contribute as a P5 player. This thread is about Mike Daum, who chose between Wyoming, Air Force, and South Dakota State. Nobody in their right mind thought this kid was a P5 level player out of high school, and if he were at Nebraska or any other Big Ten institution right now he would be a backup role player at best because of his lack of athleticism on the defensive end. Stop digging yourself a hole trying to say this kid is a legit P5 level player. He's a nice story for SDSU and not much more than that.

Well, I'll just leave it at I disagree with you on the subject. Anyone at any program who can average over 25 ppg can start on the 2nd worst team in any P5 conference

1. Strawman argument.

Well, I'll just leave it at I disagree with you on the subject. Anyone at any program who can average over 25 ppg can start on the 2nd worst team in any P5 conference

Now? Yes.

When he came out of HS, no.

Yikes. Not great for whoever that coach is.

Daum's stats are a lot less impressive when you consider that his scoring average is inflated by taking half of his team's shots, he gets absolutely coddled by Summit League refs so he never gets in foul trouble and has a stupid number of trips to the free throw line, and has trouble scoring against any sort of athletic big man. He can score a ton against the Summit League (except maybe Tyler Flack at USD) but wouldn't be a standout player in the Big Ten at all. Watch him play against the big from a 1 seed and I bet you'll have a better idea why Miles passed.

Great win for the Jacks but Daum's stat line isn't that impressive.

10 points on 4-11 shooting (1-3 on 3s), 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers.

If SDSU didn't go to the tournament 3 straight years I think he would think about it, but why would he when he knows they have a better shot than we do? Even though if we had him next year we could be S16 team. 

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

His offense would be good.

I'm not sure who he'd guard.

I really don't know how he would fair against a defender like Roby...

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

he gets his points. just has to work harder for them.

47 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Yeah, that's my thought as well.  Roby or even Copeland would make it pretty tough on him.

44 minutes ago, desertshox said:

he gets his points. just has to work harder for them.

He would get some points.  He wouldn't be getting 23-25.  Between having other guys who can score and working harder for them, the question is how many would that be.  If he could still get 16-18, that would be great.  If he's only getting 12-14 - which is about what he'd be getting if he had Copeland's number of shots at Daum's percentages - that's handy but not necessarily a game-changer.  And then that gets into the question of if you can afford to play him 30 minutes per game if he's a defensive liability.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that's my thought as well.  Roby or even Copeland would make it pretty tough on him.

He would get some points.  He wouldn't be getting 23-25.  Between having other guys who can score and working harder for them, the question is how many would that be.  If he could still get 16-18, that would be great.  If he's only getting 12-14 - which is about what he'd be getting if he had Copeland's number of shots at Daum's percentages - that's handy but not necessarily a game-changer.  And then that gets into the question of if you can afford to play him 30 minutes per game if he's a defensive liability.

I'd wager that he is slower than McVeigh, but taller. Take that for what it's worth.

And I'm not talking skills, just mobility as a defender.

I'd take Daum over McVeigh overall obviously.

Edited by ScottyIce

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

He would be around 16/8 for us which is obviously a massive improvement from Jordy who cannot guard anyone or score on anyone. 

30 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I'd wager that he is slower than McVeigh, but taller. Take that for what it's worth.

This is pretty much my thinking as well.  He can definitely shoot but he just doesn't look like he can move to me.

20 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He would be around 16/8 for us which is obviously a massive improvement from Jordy who cannot guard anyone or score on anyone. 

Tough to know but I'd take the under on those numbers.

I dont really get why Daum would want to come here? Why not just keep putting up big numbers at SDSU?

That being said, if he came here, I would be very open to it and have a guy who can get his. With our lack of offense I just have concerns about Bigs who cant create their own shot off the dribble. 

Edited by Minnesota_husker

I think he'd fit our offense really well. He can space the floor, something Jordy/Duby/Borchart can't. I think he'd put up better rebounding numbers than all three. He'd likely be a defensive liability, as many have said. But overall I think he'd be a major upgrade to the team. 

We are talking about a guy that put up the following point/rebound numbers the last two years:

20/ 4 and 31/6 vs WichSt

17/7 vs Gonzaga

21/11 vs KU

37/12 vs Colorado

I think he could be a 13/5 guy here pretty easy, which is a major upgrade at the C position. 

Why would he want to come? Outside of being a Neb kid, I don't know. Just figured he'll have the opportunity to grad transfer and was wondering people's thoughts. 

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm not sure why compare him to McVeigh at all? Jack is likely slightly quicker but he plays a position where he guards 2/3's mostly while Daum would guard 4/5's. 

2 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I think he'd fit our offense really well. He can space the floor, something Jordy/Duby/Borchart can't. I think he'd put up better rebounding numbers than all three. He'd likely be a defensive liability, as many have said. But overall I think he'd be a major upgrade to the team. 

We are talking about a guy that put up the following point/rebound numbers the last two years:

20/ 4 and 31/6 vs WichSt

17/7 vs Gonzaga

21/11 vs KU

37/12 vs Colorado

I think he could be a 13/5 guy here pretty easy, which is a major upgrade at the C position. 

Why would he want to come? Outside of being a Neb kid, I don't know. Just figured he'll have the opportunity to grad transfer and was wondering people's thoughts. 

Wasnt meant to criticize the topic. I like the talker, I just think If I am Daum I would struggle to see coming to NEB and having to share with guys like Palmer/Copeland/Watson. 

We certainly could use someone with his skillset.

Is he really a 5 or more of a 4? If he starts, then do you go bigger and roll with Daum/Copeland/Roby/Palmer/Watson?

I think as long as Roby, Copeland, Palmer and Watson are back all 4 should be starting. 

16 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I'm not sure why compare him to McVeigh at all? Jack is likely slightly quicker but he plays a position where he guards 2/3's mostly while Daum would guard 4/5's. 

BecAuse in my opinion McVeigh has been our slowest defender Since he got here.

55 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Wasnt meant to criticize the topic. I like the talker, I just think If I am Daum I would struggle to see coming to NEB and having to share with guys like Palmer/Copeland/Watson. 

We certainly could use someone with his skillset.

Is he really a 5 or more of a 4? If he starts, then do you go bigger and roll with Daum/Copeland/Roby/Palmer/Watson?

I think as long as Roby, Copeland, Palmer and Watson are back all 4 should be starting. 

No worries, didn't think you were criticizing. I have no specific reason to believe he's looking or would look at Neb. But two reasons he possibly could are: 1. Homestate school (this is assuming he grew up a Neb fan in general) and 2. Fit. I think he fits perfectly as a 5 in this offense. With the length of Palmer and Copeland/Roby we don't need a prototypical 6'11 guy. Daum picking and popping after setting screens for Watson, JPJ, Roby, etc would be a thing of beauty. 

Now a negative is most grad transfers want to start, that would mean Copeland or Roby not starting.... which as you said is unlikely.

I think he'd be a huge upgrade over Jordy/Duby/Tanner this year and Jordy/Heimann next year. 

We'll likely be in the market for a grad transfer C, and I doubt there are many of his caliber. 

46 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

BecAuse in my opinion McVeigh has been our slowest defender Since he got here.

I would agree, but it is apples to oranges. McVeigh routinely needed to cover quick guards. Daum would be banging with posts.

That kid is leaving...

He basically can be "re-recruited" and end up at probably...any top 5-20 team he wants.  He is leaving and good for him.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

That kid is leaving...

He basically can be "re-recruited" and end up at probably...any top 5-20 team he wants.  He is leaving and good for him.

I will only allow it if he comes home

Daum did some good things today but not exceptional.  The guard play on SDSU was poor except for the three's in the first few minutes.  They would make one good play then turn it over three times.  SDSU had some chances and I thought when they tied it up with 3 minutes to go they might win. I remember thinking "don't let the guards screw it up" and they did.

would take him but doesn't necessarily solve our needs from our bigs and would probably slow down the offense even more than it already is. Nebraska needs to focus on getting 2-3 long, athletic bigs that can protect the rim/rebound as well as make good passes out of the post when necessary. Right now there are approximately 0 "guys" on this roster that are bigs. Its a bunch of warm bodies picking up fouls.