Mike Daum

I said something about him earlier this year in another thread but this kid should be playing for the Huskers. Just scored 37 and 12 boards in the summit league championship. Has had 3 40 point games this year according to the ESPN 2 announcers, also they were talking about how he will most likely leave for the draft early after one more season as he is only a sophomore. But not good enough for us.

• Plus1 1

I give Daum a ton of credit for busting his ass and making himself a better player and getting in better shape. But nobody saw this type of potential when he was coming out of high school. If they did, schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado State, etc, would have offered him scholarships. I am not sure what offers he had out of high school, but these performances are in one of the weakest Division 1 conferences in D1. I am sure he could have a role at NU in his current playing ability, but he wouldn't be a star in the Big Ten.

• Fire 4

I said something about him earlier this year in another thread but this kid should be playing for the Huskers. Just scored 37 and 12 boards in the summit league championship. Has had 3 40 point games this year according to the ESPN 2 announcers, also they were talking about how he will most likely leave for the draft early after one more season as he is only a sophomore. But not good enough for us.

That's a pretty good exaggeration of what they said. Not that what announcers say has much to do with anything.

I would have like to watch him play more this year. I wanted to watch tonight but only got home for the last 10 minutes. He's obviously putting up numbers.

But I'm not ready to say the Huskers should have taken him. And it's not because I'm trying to defend Miles, in case you wondered. :P

I watched him play several games in high school. He was good. But I didn't think that he was athletic enough to play in the Power 5. Now, he's obviously put in a lot of work and gotten stronger. But I don't think even tearing up the Summit League guarantees that either, even with three years of hindsight. He wouldn't be getting the same shots against a couple steps up in competition. And I'm not sure how his defense would be. Like I said, this was the first I've gotten to see him since HS. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I saw more of his game. But this is with a lot of benefit of hindsight.

And I'm not even necessarily saying he couldn't help the Huskers now. We could use about any help we could get. But it was far from a given three years ago. It's not like the Huskers were the only ones to pass on him. Apparently Colorado and Iowa weren't beating down his door either. To say nothing of Colorado State or maybe even Wyoming.

Daum was getting taken to the hole by Omaha's center and Daum was much bigger. Thurman had 21 points on 8 of 12 shooting. He doesn't seem to be a good defender at all. He would be a pretty big liability on the defensive end at any major conference school.

That's the biggest thing I have been wanting to watch as he's been getting more pub this year. Seems like his offense could find a spot. But I'm most curious about his (lack of?) athleticism on defense.

That's a pretty good exaggeration of what they said. Not that what announcers say has much to do with anything.

I would have like to watch him play more this year. I wanted to watch tonight but only got home for the last 10 minutes. He's obviously putting up numbers.

But I'm not ready to say the Huskers should have taken him. And it's not because I'm trying to defend Miles, in case you wondered. :P

I watched him play several games in high school. He was good. But I didn't think that he was athletic enough to play in the Power 5. Now, he's obviously put in a lot of work and gotten stronger. But I don't think even tearing up the Summit League guarantees that either, even with three years of hindsight. He wouldn't be getting the same shots against a couple steps up in competition. And I'm not sure how his defense would be. Like I said, this was the first I've gotten to see him since HS. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I saw more of his game. But this is with a lot of benefit of hindsight.

And I'm not even necessarily saying he couldn't help the Huskers now. We could use about any help we could get. But it was far from a given three years ago. It's not like the Huskers were the only ones to pass on him. Apparently Colorado and Iowa weren't beating down his door either. To say nothing of Colorado State or maybe even Wyoming.

I guess I must have misheard what they were saying about him going to the next level then. I also got to watch him play a few times in high school, what I appreciated the most about him was the way he shot from outside. Usually kids out west, or even kids from Nebraska for that matter don't stand 6'9 and have that kind of skill set. I honestly wanted to see him go to Nebraska out of high school so I have that bias to start with. But it's hard to say that his ability to score couldn't be used on our current roster. I would see him being used pretty much the way McVeigh is used, only more versitile. That's my take, and I stand by what I said in saying that he should be a husker.

I feel we could have used him with his offensive prowess. Another thing to consider is he does not have to try as hard on defense at SDSU. If he gets scored on numerous times he is not getting subbed out because he is their best offensive player. At a place like NU I could see him playing a couple minutes a game and if he was a liability on defense he would realize he would not make it on the floor here. I believe we offered him a walk on but I do not know 100 percent, due to his offense he deserved at least that from NU. Wonder if he would be a McVeigh type player here, but with some worse defense than Jack-that is who I would compare him to.

One thing that wouldn't change much is his ability to shoot the 3 and pull out the big men on defense. Even if you cut his stats in HALF from going to the Summit to the B10 he would still average 12.5 pts and 4 reb. If you really don't think he would be a solid player for us you are lacking any basketball IQ

It's a pretty lazy assessment to watch him for 2-3 games and say "Oh, Nebraska missed on him big time". Well, so did Creighton, Omaha, Wyoming, Colorado, Colorado St. and every other Power 5 team. He simply wasn't a D-1 player coming out of HS. As BR pointed out, the kid was almost cut during his RS season; there's no way he would've been afforded the time to completely remake his body and work on his game if he were at Nebraska. He put the time in, worked his ass off, and has become one of the best scorers in CBB; there's absolutely no way to say he would have done the same thing at Nebraska or Creighton. It's the worst type of revisionist history when it comes to sports.

It's a pretty lazy assessment to watch him for 2-3 games and say "Oh, Nebraska missed on him big time". Well, so did Creighton, Omaha, Wyoming, Colorado, Colorado St. and every other Power 5 team. He simply wasn't a D-1 player coming out of HS. As BR pointed out, the kid was almost cut during his RS season; there's no way he would've been afforded the time to completely remake his body and work on his game if he were at Nebraska. He put the time in, worked his ass off, and has become one of the best scorers in CBB; there's absolutely no way to say he would have done the same thing at Nebraska or Creighton. It's the worst type of revisionist history when it comes to sports.

He had 9 D1 offers... notables such as Wyoming, UNO, SDSU, and Air Force

The main knock on kids like this is athleticism, but people always forget about 'how good are you at basketball'

The main knock on kids like this is athleticism, but people always forget about 'how good are you at basketball'

How do you think Mike Daum guarding Nigel Hayes would have gone this year?

How do you think Mike Daum guarding Nigel Hayes would have gone this year?

He isn't a good defender, but we also just gave up 93 pts to an average Michigan team at home.

How nice would it have been to have a consistent 3P shooter and spread the floor more for the guards to penetrate?

I am not sure what the argument is?

Is Miles a bum for not offering Daum a scholarship out of high school? I don't think so. I don't think anyone expected Daum to blossom and develop to be at his current level.

Would NU benefit from having Daum (at his current level) on the team? I definitely think Daum would be a contributor, at least as a guy who can space the floor and shoot the 3. I think he would struggle big time against athletic big men which are found in the Big Ten. I think it would be tough to determine how much he would be able to contribute to a Big Ten team.

• Fire 1