Mike Daum

47 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I really don't know how he would fair against a defender like Roby...

Yeah, that's my thought as well.  Roby or even Copeland would make it pretty tough on him.

44 minutes ago, desertshox said:

he gets his points. just has to work harder for them.

He would get some points.  He wouldn't be getting 23-25.  Between having other guys who can score and working harder for them, the question is how many would that be.  If he could still get 16-18, that would be great.  If he's only getting 12-14 - which is about what he'd be getting if he had Copeland's number of shots at Daum's percentages - that's handy but not necessarily a game-changer.  And then that gets into the question of if you can afford to play him 30 minutes per game if he's a defensive liability.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that's my thought as well.  Roby or even Copeland would make it pretty tough on him.

He would get some points.  He wouldn't be getting 23-25.  Between having other guys who can score and working harder for them, the question is how many would that be.  If he could still get 16-18, that would be great.  If he's only getting 12-14 - which is about what he'd be getting if he had Copeland's number of shots at Daum's percentages - that's handy but not necessarily a game-changer.  And then that gets into the question of if you can afford to play him 30 minutes per game if he's a defensive liability.

I'd wager that he is slower than McVeigh, but taller. Take that for what it's worth.

And I'm not talking skills, just mobility as a defender.

I'd take Daum over McVeigh overall obviously.

Edited by ScottyIce
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

He would be around 16/8 for us which is obviously a massive improvement from Jordy who cannot guard anyone or score on anyone. 

30 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I'd wager that he is slower than McVeigh, but taller. Take that for what it's worth.

This is pretty much my thinking as well.  He can definitely shoot but he just doesn't look like he can move to me.

20 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He would be around 16/8 for us which is obviously a massive improvement from Jordy who cannot guard anyone or score on anyone. 

Tough to know but I'd take the under on those numbers.

I dont really get why Daum would want to come here? Why not just keep putting up big numbers at SDSU?

That being said, if he came here, I would be very open to it and have a guy who can get his. With our lack of offense I just have concerns about Bigs who cant create their own shot off the dribble. 

Edited by Minnesota_husker

I think he'd fit our offense really well. He can space the floor, something Jordy/Duby/Borchart can't. I think he'd put up better rebounding numbers than all three. He'd likely be a defensive liability, as many have said. But overall I think he'd be a major upgrade to the team. 

We are talking about a guy that put up the following point/rebound numbers the last two years:

20/ 4 and 31/6 vs WichSt

17/7 vs Gonzaga

21/11 vs KU

37/12 vs Colorado

I think he could be a 13/5 guy here pretty easy, which is a major upgrade at the C position. 

Why would he want to come? Outside of being a Neb kid, I don't know. Just figured he'll have the opportunity to grad transfer and was wondering people's thoughts. 

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm not sure why compare him to McVeigh at all? Jack is likely slightly quicker but he plays a position where he guards 2/3's mostly while Daum would guard 4/5's. 

2 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I think he'd fit our offense really well. He can space the floor, something Jordy/Duby/Borchart can't. I think he'd put up better rebounding numbers than all three. He'd likely be a defensive liability, as many have said. But overall I think he'd be a major upgrade to the team. 

We are talking about a guy that put up the following point/rebound numbers the last two years:

20/ 4 and 31/6 vs WichSt

17/7 vs Gonzaga

21/11 vs KU

37/12 vs Colorado

I think he could be a 13/5 guy here pretty easy, which is a major upgrade at the C position. 

Why would he want to come? Outside of being a Neb kid, I don't know. Just figured he'll have the opportunity to grad transfer and was wondering people's thoughts. 

Wasnt meant to criticize the topic. I like the talker, I just think If I am Daum I would struggle to see coming to NEB and having to share with guys like Palmer/Copeland/Watson. 

We certainly could use someone with his skillset.

Is he really a 5 or more of a 4? If he starts, then do you go bigger and roll with Daum/Copeland/Roby/Palmer/Watson?

I think as long as Roby, Copeland, Palmer and Watson are back all 4 should be starting. 

55 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Wasnt meant to criticize the topic. I like the talker, I just think If I am Daum I would struggle to see coming to NEB and having to share with guys like Palmer/Copeland/Watson. 

We certainly could use someone with his skillset.

Is he really a 5 or more of a 4? If he starts, then do you go bigger and roll with Daum/Copeland/Roby/Palmer/Watson?

I think as long as Roby, Copeland, Palmer and Watson are back all 4 should be starting. 

No worries, didn't think you were criticizing. I have no specific reason to believe he's looking or would look at Neb. But two reasons he possibly could are: 1. Homestate school (this is assuming he grew up a Neb fan in general) and 2. Fit. I think he fits perfectly as a 5 in this offense. With the length of Palmer and Copeland/Roby we don't need a prototypical 6'11 guy. Daum picking and popping after setting screens for Watson, JPJ, Roby, etc would be a thing of beauty. 

Now a negative is most grad transfers want to start, that would mean Copeland or Roby not starting.... which as you said is unlikely.

I think he'd be a huge upgrade over Jordy/Duby/Tanner this year and Jordy/Heimann next year. 

We'll likely be in the market for a grad transfer C, and I doubt there are many of his caliber. 

46 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

BecAuse in my opinion McVeigh has been our slowest defender Since he got here.

I would agree, but it is apples to oranges. McVeigh routinely needed to cover quick guards. Daum would be banging with posts.