There IS High School Talent in This State!

After watching state basketball, I feel compelled to passive aggressively complain about the inability (or lack of effort) to get local kids. It would take an awful lot to convince me that Patton, Tre-Deon, Tre'Shawn, Hahn, and Khryi wouldn't be huge in Lincoln.

I'm definitely out of the loop about the extenuating circumstances that may have prevented them from coming (eligibility, etc.). I also understand that different settings produce different results.

However, as I watched the tournament, I couldn't help but feel confused about letting a kid like Strom go to UC Davis (I'd prefer to not read about his shortcomings for those of you ready to tear apart an 18 year old kid). I also feel like Chang will be another that slips through and does well somewhere else.

Maybe they aren't D1 material straight out of high school, but I'd love to see these local kids be the ones to take this team into national relevance.

The examples in your first paragraph are all at better programs than Nebraska, currently. Hard to recruit your state when you're the third game in town.

As far as Strom, Nebraska was recruiting him....in football.

I have no idea why Chang isn't getting more local looks. Had he been 100%, the state title game would have been vastly different.

Are you saying Omaha has a better basketball team than Nebraska? If so, consider the leagues and sos of both teams for the 2016-2017 season. For some reason Miles does not recruit the state well unless he is giving out walk ons to the kids. That does need to change and if he can land Chang that would be big. Miles is in a make or break year so I wonder if he is willing to take more risks, which in turn could help us win or lose.
I'm saying that local kids would rather play for an up and coming program with the name of their city on their chest, one that was 2 points away from making the NCAA tournament, rather than playing for the 13th best team in a 14 team league.

It's not a secret that both Creighton and Omaha recruit metro kids far better than Nebraska does.

Creighton got Patton a few years ago

UNO got Ayo Akinwole this year

I dont get why Nebraska didnt even offer that West Virginia commit from Boys Town (I dont remember his name)

I havent seen a Nebraska offer to him on any site

Teddy Allen? He's originally from Arizona, so the pull to go to a local school just wasn't there. He's got a ton of talent, but there are some maturity issues there that someone like Huggins can handle much more effectively than Miles or McDermott.

UNO is getting Akinwole, but half of their roster is metro kids. I'd argue that Creighton's two best players are both from Omaha.

I agree that Teddy Allen shouldn't be considered a "local kid". He's at Boys Town from Arizona, so he probably had limited interest in staying in Nebraska.

UNO is getting Metro kids who are marginal D-1 players. I am not saying they aren't any good, but the Summit League is at the bottom of D-1 basketball. The NCAA qualifiers from that conference are usually #15-16 seeds in the Big Dance. That level of competition is way different than the Big Ten. I do think that Omaha is getting better with the club/AAU teams and youth programs.

I would take Tre'Deon Hollins or Treshaun Thurmon on Nebraska in a heartbeat.

After watching state basketball, I feel compelled to passive aggressively complain about the inability (or lack of effort) to get local kids. It would take an awful lot to convince me that Patton, Tre-Deon, Tre'Shawn, Hahn, and Khryi wouldn't be huge in Lincoln.

I'm definitely out of the loop about the extenuating circumstances that may have prevented them from coming (eligibility, etc.). I also understand that different settings produce different results.

However, as I watched the tournament, I couldn't help but feel confused about letting a kid like Strom go to UC Davis (I'd prefer to not read about his shortcomings for those of you ready to tear apart an 18 year old kid). I also feel like Chang will be another that slips through and does well somewhere else.

Maybe they aren't D1 material straight out of high school, but I'd love to see these local kids be the ones to take this team into national relevance.

The examples in your first paragraph are all at better programs than Nebraska, currently. Hard to recruit your state when you're the third game in town.

I have no idea why Chang isn't getting more local looks. Had he been 100%, the state title game would have been vastly different.

Are you saying Omaha has a better basketball team than Nebraska? If so, consider the leagues and sos of both teams for the 2016-2017 season. For some reason Miles does not recruit the state well unless he is giving out walk ons to the kids. That does need to change and if he can land Chang that would be big. Miles is in a make or break year so I wonder if he is willing to take more risks, which in turn could help us win or lose.
I'm saying that local kids would rather play for an up and coming program with the name of their city on their chest, one that was 2 points away from making the NCAA tournament, rather than playing for the 13th best team in a 14 team league.

It's not a secret that both Creighton and Omaha recruit metro kids far better than Nebraska does.

I dont get why Nebraska didnt even offer that West Virginia commit from Boys Town (I dont remember his name)

Teddy Allen? He's originally from Arizona, so the pull to go to a local school just wasn't there. He's got a ton of talent, but there are some maturity issues there that someone like Huggins can handle much more effectively than Miles or McDermott.

UNO is getting Akinwole, but half of their roster is metro kids. I'd argue that Creighton's two best players are both from Omaha.

I agree that Teddy Allen shouldn't be considered a "local kid". He's at Boys Town from Arizona, so he probably had limited interest in staying in Nebraska.

UNO is getting Metro kids who are marginal D-1 players. I am not saying they aren't any good, but the Summit League is at the bottom of D-1 basketball. The NCAA qualifiers from that conference are usually #15-16 seeds in the Big Dance. That level of competition is way different than the Big Ten. I do think that Omaha is getting better with the club/AAU teams and youth programs.

I admit I don't know those two well enough, and there is a good chance they could be contributors at NU.

I admit I don't know those two well enough, and there is a good chance they could be contributors at NU.

Thurmon is a better pure post player than Morrow, and Hollins led the country in steals this year.

Thurmon is a better pure post player than Morrow, and Hollins led the country in steals this year.

To be fair about Hollins, he didn't qualify academically out of high school, and he had to beg the UNO administration to be accepted into school there. I agree that Hollins is a player, but he had a lot of academic hurdles to clear just to play at UNO.

• Fire 1

We sure could have used Trey Bardsley.

....Or Mike Gesell.

Mike Gesell was a miss. Bardsley was at Nebraska Wesleyan. That's such a low-level.

Gesell wasn't a miss. NU was recruiting him hard since the summer before his sophomore year. The deal was he wanted to play with Woodbury the whole time and Lurch wanted nothing to do with NU.

And as for the UNO guys. Both Thurman and Hollins would have played significant minutes here last year. And those fringe D1 guys from the Metro put a pretty solid ass whooping on Herky

• Fire 2
  • 1 year later...

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Nebraska is getting better at recruiting Omaha, which is a must for the program to remain successful. Arop will help Miles make inroads to more Omaha talent, but the ultimate prize is going to be Chucky Hepburn in 2 years. 

Some of the biggest issues in the past, including football was grades & off the court/field issues.  I will agree that the in-state talent is better.