Will There be War wt N Korea next 4 years

Will there be a War with N. Korea?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to Jim Rose, North Koreans are all miserable and would welcome the United States "turning their country into a sand trap" putting them out of their misery.

It amazes me that people like this not only exist, but have a megaphone via 1100AM in Omaha. The sad thing is, the other people chuckled and said, "you're probably right."

Yikes. Former Nebraska commentator Jim Rose? I didn't realize he was still on the radio.

But yeah, these comments don't really surprise me ultimately. Among my first forays in the P&R forum here years ago, way, way before I even had a leftward turn or was particularly political at all, I remember some discussions where people were talking about Afghanistan / the Middle East / etc, and suggesting that we should just "glass" the region. Yuck. I bring this up because I think it's helpful to understand how actually fairly normal some of these cavalier attitudes about non-American lives are. It's not entirely a Trump phenomenon, although he's certainly brought it into prominence. The silver lining here is perhaps we can have an honest national reckoning about it.

• Fire 2

According to Jim Rose, North Koreans are all miserable and would welcome the United States "turning their country into a sand trap" putting them out of their misery.

It amazes me that people like this not only exist, but have a megaphone via 1100AM in Omaha. The sad thing is, the other people chuckled and said, "you're probably right."

Yikes. Former Nebraska commentator Jim Rose? I didn't realize he was still on the radio.

But yeah, these comments don't really surprise me ultimately. Among my first forays in the P&R forum here years ago, way, way before I even had a leftward turn or was particularly political at all, I remember some discussions where people were talking about Afghanistan / the Middle East / etc, and suggesting that we should just "glass" the region. Yuck. I bring this up because I think it's helpful to understand how actually fairly normal some of these cavalier attitudes about non-American lives are. It's not entirely a Trump phenomenon, although he's certainly brought it into prominence. The silver lining here is perhaps we can have an honest national reckoning about it.

That rhetoric tends to come from the "All Lives Matter, every life is sacred, heartbeats" crowd as well.

Interesting, isn't it?

• Fire 4

Former Dem Florida State Rep and opinion writer says fed preparing for 'black sky' large scale catastrophe event. While I think it is in China's best interest to get Fat Boy to stand down and not do something stupid, my concern is that either Fat Boy or Orange Face-Floppy Hair does something stupid that gets us involved in a non-nuclear conventional war that would be a huge mess. Fat Boy isn't like an ISIS fighter (die for the cause to get the 7 virgins & paradise). He wants power and to stay in power - so I don't think he will attack us as that will lead to his sure destruction in return. His saber rattling is to get concessions out of us I think, to reinforce his power (unite behind me against the evil USA). It is in China's best interest that the Korea peninsula remain divided. They don't want a free Korea on their borders that can become an even bigger economic competitor (imagine if NK/SK became reunited and the whole united country is free - the industry that would rush into the North would be bigger and faster that that big swooshing sound you heard going into Mexico after NAFTA). SOS Tillerson is hopefully pressuring China to get Fat Boy to stand down. In the mean time, we need to prepare for the unthinkable. Thus this opinion page.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/opinion/2017/08/09/vasilinda-black-sky-event-inevitable-we-must-prepare/551649001/

who she is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Rehwinkel_Vasilinda

from her opinion artilce:

Saber rattling from North Korea and the specter of cyber attacks from our enemies keep us anxious.

We also worry we are vulnerable to cyber attack in our homes and businesses, banks, hospitals and schools. Worry should turn us to action to protect and prepare to repair, restore and rebuild. Resiliency is not the latest buzzword; it’s an absolute necessity.

A few days ago I returned from D.C., where I attended an annual summit hosted by Congresswoman Yvette Clark, D-NY, Congressman Trent Franks, R-Arizona, the Rt, Honorable Lord James Arbuthnot, Conservative and the Rt. Honorable Lord Toby Harris, Labour Party of the UK Parliament.

Participants from 24 nations included defense and security ministers and experts, scientists, engineers, non-government organizations like the Salvation Army, Red Cross, and National Governors Association. Also there were members of the U.S. military, National Guard Adjutant Generals, officials from Homeland Security, Department of Energy, FEMA, NOAA, and experts from the utility, distribution and supply sectors.

Our work is to learn about, discuss and plan for the inevitability of large scale catastrophe, referred to as the "Black Sky events": extreme weather, mega earthquakes, cyber terrorism, high altitude electromagnetic pulse, Intentional Electromagnetic Interference, and coordinated physical assault that “severely disrupts the normal functioning of our critical infrastructures in multiple regions for long periods of time.”

It’s not “if” but “when” a Black Sky event will occur. The time is now for each of us to do all we can to be resilient, to prevent — but also to prepare to restore and rebuild.

The strength of our way of life, a result of our Constitution and system of government, is our diverse civil society. I have been petitioned, visited by and asked to speak to many organizations and associations of people who have found common purpose in a cause, profession, occupation or industry.

I have seen firsthand the strength and beauty of these human associations working to meet challenges and solve problems. Our robust civil society can be our greatest strength when catastrophic Black Skies gather.

What can you, your family and your organizations do to be prepared and avoid feeling helpless? You can be part of an all hazards, all hands on deck defense to Black Skies.

On August 23, there will be an Emergency All-Sector Response Transnational Hazard Exercise called EarthEX2017, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy, FEMA and the EIS Council. The mission of EarthEx2017 is to “improve community resilience to large scale, long duration power outages through multi-sector exercises.”

The exercise will include widespread power outages with no solution, critical decisions, assessments, actions and cross-sector coordination, with the final phase being a “Lessons Imagined” assessment and feedback.

Participants will include private and government sectors, mass care NGOs, individuals, and families — and hopefully you. For more information or to register visit www.eiscouncil.org.

Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda was a member of the Florida House of Representatives. She was co-chair of the Florida House Working Group on Cyber Security and EMP in April 2015. Reach her @RepMichelle or on Facebook.

China could put an end to North Korea in an instant. China is a major creditor to America, so much so that if we default on it, China's economy crashes. We have as much leverage over China as anyone, and therefore leverage over North Korea. We don't have to go to war, we don't have to sail aircraft carriers off their coast, we don't have to do anything other than negotiate with China to get this taken care of.

The fact that this hasn't been done tells us that it's being allowed to happen because it's expedient. All of this "war with North Korea" is a distraction, it's coming from conservatives/conservative media mouthpieces, and it's entire existence is due to the fact that Trump (and Obama before him, and Bush before him, etc) need distractions.

Trump's just a much heavier user of this distraction.

Well, now we have proof that Trump reads HuskerBoard (or I'm good at predicting why things are the way they are).

Um.... NO THEY AREN'T.

Know how I know? Because we haven't prepped anything for a war with North Korea.

1) There are tens of thousands of Americans in South Korea who would need to be evacuated before shooting starts. We haven't even begun that process.

2) Our military is not massing on the border, nor are there troops on transports waiting to land on shore further north. The majority of our troops are not in a state of readiness, and it will take weeks to get them there. The logistics of moving hundreds of thousands of troops, materiel and support staff may escape Trump, but then he's more Saddam Hussein than Norman Schwarzkopf.

3) Along with #2, we'd need air cover. The Air Force can operate out of bases in South Korea, but we'd need sea power, too. That means carrier task forces, plural, and those take time to move into position. Sure, The USS Carl Vinson has been stationed there for months as Trump promised ( <_< ) but we have no other assets in the area. Further, those fleets will need to be brought to combat readiness, not just geared up for patrols, all of which, again, takes time. Air Force assets can be moved in a couple days, but the support staff & infrastructure necessary to allow land-based aircraft the ability to operate needs to be moved, and that will take days/weeks.

4) We will build a coalition of allies to go with us. Unilateral action by the US Military would be condemned, and if anything goes wrong the onus of that lies solely with us as the lone actor. If nothing else, by garnering support from amongst our allies, we'll have fewer countries potentially condemning our move. This process could have begun in secret, but as yet nobody has publicly signed on for anything more than economic sanctions.

Trump has no grasp of the logistics of these things, but the North Koreans (and the rest of the world) certainly do. This kind of stuff whips up the base and distracts them from the Russia investigation, but it makes Trump and the US look as foolish in the eyes of the world as Saddam looked with his "mother of all battles" nonsense before the Gulf War. A GOP president, George Bush I, put an end to that blather right quick.

The GOP went from supporting the deposing of tin pot dictators to hanging on one's every tweet. It's sad.

• Fire 3