DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/21/trumps-ex-lawyer-michael-cohen-strikes-plea-deal-nbc-news.html

Today, this hour in particular - the Day that the Trump Presidency died.      It is on life support from this time forward until the medical unit (congressional republicans) give up all hope. 

I won’t believe it until he’s out of office. I still think he may try to rally his followers to kill their fellow Americans over this.

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I won’t believe it until he’s out of office. I still think he may try to rally his followers to kill their fellow Americans over this.

it would not shock me if the far right wing nutjobs call for that to happen

• Plus1 4
Just now, Moiraine said:

I don't doubt it - as far as rallying his followers.  As he said "I can shoot someone in Times Square and my followers will still follow me."  Will it come to bloodshed  - I sure hope not.  Will Trump speak words to incite trouble - most assuredly he will.  But as either Patrick Henry or the typing instructor stated (look it up if you have doubts :blink:) It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

• Plus1 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

I don't doubt it - as far as rallying his followers.  As he said "I can shoot someone in Times Square and my followers will still follow me."  Will it come to bloodshed  - I sure hope not.  Will Trump speak words to incite trouble - most assuredly he will.  But as either Patrick Henry or the typing instructor stated (look it up if you have doubts :blink:) It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

I think the best time for him to do it would be in 2020 if he loses the election. He can just tell people the media made up the results. So it’d be best if he was gone before then.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think the best time for him to do it would be in 2020 if he loses the election. He can just tell people the media made up the results. So it’d be best if he was gone before then.

I don't think he lasts that long now.  Today was YUGE in every way conceivable.   If Meuller can delay sentencing and get cooperation from Manaford and gets the same for Cohen - then he just opens the door and walks into the middle of all of the trump secrets.  The party is over and turn off the light on this president.  I do think the Dems take the house and impeachment proceeding will begin immediately in 2019. The only issue is will the Senate go along - they could punt like they did wt Clinton or if the Dems take the Senate - then it could occur. 

• Plus1 2

In other minor news today...

Author of Trump-Russia dossier wins libel case in US court

On Monday, a judge in the District of Columbia, Anthony C Epstein, upheld a motion by Steele to have the oligarchs’ case thrown out. Epstein did not determine whether the dossier – which Donald Trump has repeatedly dismissed as “fake” – was “accurate or not accurate”.

But the judge concluded that it was covered by the US first amendment, which protects free speech. He ruled that the oligarchs had failed to prove a key part of their case: that Steele knew that some information in the dossier was inaccurate, and had acted “with reckless disregard as to its falsity”.

• Plus1 2
Just now, TGHusker said:

I don't think he lasts that long now.  Today was YUGE in every way conceivable.   If Meuller can delay sentencing and get cooperation from Manaford and gets the same for Cohen - then he just opens the door and walks into the middle of all of the trump secrets.  The party is over and turn off the light on this president.  I do think the Dems take the house and impeachment proceeding will begin immediately in 2019. The only issue is will the Senate go along - they could punt like they did wt Clinton or if the Dems take the Senate - then it could occur. 

Even if the Democrats win the Senate they’d likely need at least 15 Republicans to convict with them.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The midterms will be a referendum on Trump and his less than ethical ways - and there is no defending him.  He will explode or maybe implode (maybe literally) as he tries to  excuse, defend, and accuse. All of this will give more ammo for the Dems to use and defeat Repubs at the polls.  I don't see anyway around it at this point. 

Donald+Trump+President+Trump+Departs+White+N5Xrt90o-zOl.jpg
**TRUMP HELL HOUR**
MANAFORT: GUILTY
COHEN: I'M GUILTY
logo9.gif

Dude's head is gonna explode in WV.  I may just watch my first Trump rally tonight.

• Plus1 1

The bold below  has Trump boxed into a corner.

https://apnews.com/7e1477cd2f234270a037108cd9b0b1aa/The-Latest:-Dems:-Conviction,-plea-show-probe-not-witch-hunt

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — The Latest on the Paul Manafort trial (all times local):

5:35 p.m.

Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut says the White House “looks increasingly like a criminal enterprise” after the convictions of President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort and personal lawyer Michael Cohen.

Blumenthal said Tuesday that the verdicts show the probe led by special counsel Robert Mueller is “not a witch hunt or hoax” as Trump has claimed. He says Mueller’s team will continue following the facts as the investigation “circles ever closer to the Oval Office.”

Blumenthal says any talk of a pardon for Manafort or Cohen “should end now,” calling it an abuse of power and possible obstruction of justice.

Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont says a Manafort pardon would create a backlash in Congress and “have Watergate written all over it.”

___

5:30 p.m.

A lawyer for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort says his client is disappointed in his conviction and is evaluating all his options.

Attorney Kevin Downing spoke to reporters Tuesday outside the federal courthouse where a jury convicted Manafort of eight financial crimes.

A judge declared a mistrial on 10 other counts the jury could not reach consensus on.

Downing also said Manafort wanted to thank the judge for a fair trial and the jury for their four days of deliberations.

Manafort stared intently at the panel as the clerk read off the charges. He stared down blankly at the defense table, then looked up, expressionless, as the judge finished thanking the jury.

The outcome of the trial almost certainly guarantees years of prison for Manafort.

___

5:25 p.m.

The ranking Democrats on the House and Senate Intelligence Committees say the conviction of Paul Manafort and the guilty plea by Michael Cohen make it clear that President Donald Trump is wrong when he says special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe is a “witch hunt.”

Virginia Sen. Mark Warner said Tuesday that any attempt by Trump to pardon Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman, or interfere in the Russia investigation would be a “gross abuse of power and require immediate action by Congress.”

Rep. Adam Schiff of California says Manafort’s conviction on eight financial crime charges and former Trump lawyer Cohen’s guilty plea to campaign-finance violations and other charges proves the Trump campaign embraced individuals with a history of dishonest business dealings as well as concerning ties to overseas interests.