DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

With the articles that have been coming out the last 72 hours, and Bernstein's interview yesterday I wouldn't be surprised if Mueller drops the bomb before the end of the month or early February.

I'm also extremely nervous for this country's reaction. If the report is as bad as we all believe it is, initial reaction will be a great schism within this nation much to Russia's delight. After that I can see things going any number of ways.

• The Right is appalled by the over reach of Justice Dept and pushes through laws that declaw them and intelligence community. Ultimately hurting this country's ability to conduct counter surveillance and investigate a ethical issues - less likely with the recent shift in Congress.
  • The Left over reacts. With some support from the Reublicans in the Senate they pass constitional legislation that upsets the balance of the 3 branches and strips the president of many powers - Further disfunction ensues in Washington.
  • The do nothing option: Trump is impeached but the Senate ultimately fails to oust him from office and everyone washes their hands of the issue because he's got an R by his name - SSDD
  • Trump is impeached and resigns with Pence pardoning him and his family. The majority of America is pissed!
  • Impeached, convicted, and found guilty of treason. - not happening unless this really is reality TV.
  • Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

With the articles that have been coming out the last 72 hours, and Bernstein's interview yesterday I wouldn't be surprised if Mueller drops the bomb before the end of the month or early February.

I'm also extremely nervous for this country's reaction. If the report is as bad as we all believe it is, initial reaction will be a great schism within this nation much to Russia's delight. After that I can see things going any number of ways.

• The Right is appalled by the over reach of Justice Dept and pushes through laws that declaw them and intelligence community. Ultimately hurting this country's ability to conduct counter surveillance and investigate a ethical issues - less likely with the recent shift in Congress.
  • The Left over reacts. With some support from the Reublicans in the Senate they pass constitional legislation that upsets the balance of the 3 branches and strips the president of many powers - Further disfunction ensues in Washington.
  • The do nothing option: Trump is impeached but the Senate ultimately fails to oust him from office and everyone washes their hands of the issue because he's got an R by his name - SSDD
  • Trump is impeached and resigns with Pence pardoning him and his family. The majority of America is pissed!
  • Impeached, convicted, and found guilty of treason. - not happening unless this really is reality TV.

Most likely scenario with the Trump base still proclaiming it was a total which hunt and think he's the greatest President ever to live.

If he releases his findings and they are very convincing, it would make the Cohen testimony on national TV Feb 7th, even more riveting.  

18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I will be disheartened as an American citizen if anything short of your final bullet happens. Its what needs to happen if what we are hearing is true. I don't give a flying flip about red or blue right now, Russia is a bipartisan enemy to our way of life. We need to come together on this and make sure we are clear this will not be accepted as a standard in our country. 

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Someone had corrected me before that Trump can't be found guilty of Treason based on the semantics of the legal definition. Collusion is the best we can get...

...but yeah, even if the evidence is there, is well documented and put together as such, you're going to have certain intellectually-challenged people that are going to ignore the facts because they treat their politics like their favorite sports teams. For these people, it doesn't matter what they do or what the long-term ramifications are--just so long as they have a 'R' by their name.

That's what I worry about, because that sort of willful ignorance and lack of regard for what is just and right is what ultimately brings about violent conflict. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Most likely scenario with the Trump base still proclaiming it was a total which hunt and think he's the greatest President ever to live.

If he releases his findings and they are very convincing, it would make the Cohen testimony on national TV Feb 7th, even more riveting.  

I think the Senate and House already have enough power. They just aren’t using it. E.g. They have the power to open the government any time they want regardless of what Trump wants. 

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think the Senate and House already have enough power. They just aren’t using it. E.g. They have the power to open the government any time they want regardless of what Trump wants. 

House? Yes?

Senate? No, McConnell is gonna turtle his ignorant, piece of excrement self into oblivion before he allows a vote on a bill to supersede Trump's authority. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

House? Yes?

Senate? No, McConnell is gonna turtle his ignorant, piece of excrement self into oblivion before he allows a vote on a bill to supersede Trump's authority. 

The senators can go against him and unblock votes if they want, according to what I just googled. They’re just too chicken.

I don’t know who is worse, Trump or McConnell. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

McConnell is tied up with Russian money too. He is Trump aka Putins lap dog at this point. 3.5 million of Russian oligarch money can do funny things to a person, not that McConnell had an extraordinary character to begin with.

What's the source on this claim?

6 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Someone had corrected me before that Trump can't be found guilty of Treason based on the semantics of the legal definition. Collusion is the best we can get...

...but yeah, even if the evidence is there, is well documented and put together as such, you're going to have certain intellectually-challenged people that are going to ignore the facts because they treat their politics like their favorite sports teams. For these people, it doesn't matter what they do or what the long-term ramifications are--just so long as they have a 'R' by their name.

That's what I worry about, because that sort of willful ignorance and lack of regard for what is just and right is what ultimately brings about violent conflict. 

I think he could easily be found guilty of treason if his people give him up. If Russia was working to undermine the US and Trump aided them in some form then that is, by the constitional definition, treason.