DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

It is my understanding that Congress can undo a state of emergency with a veto proof resolution.  Let’s see how this plays out on the right.

It's troubling because if they don't suppress it, it sets a legal precedent that future Presidents can then use. When Donald and his ilk are ejected from office, that is going to bite them in the a$$. But the misuse of those powers is setting up the office of President for being a jumping off point for totalitarianism as well, regardless of party affiliation. 

I guess the question is, what does the modern day GOP care for more--the future of Democracy and this country, or sucking at the financial teat of Putin and Russian oligarchs at the expense of our country's sovereignty and future?

• Plus1 4
19 hours ago, Fru said:

Man, that is spot on. 

Thanks. The first thing I saw is how that looks like what Nathan Lane would appear as a statesman. 

Second thing I saw is that I hope he looks as good as Nathan Lane in drag when his a$$ is sent to PMITA Federal Prison in the near future. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Thanks. The first thing I saw is how that looks like what Nathan Lane would appear as a statesman. 

Second thing I saw is that I hope he looks as good as Nathan Lane in drag when his a$$ is sent to PMITA Federal Prison in the near future. 

+1 for working in a Birdcage reference and Office Space reference in the same post!

Image result for office space prison gif

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

It's troubling because if they don't suppress it, it sets a legal precedent that future Presidents can then use. When Donald and his ilk are ejected from office, that is going to bite them in the a$$. But the misuse of those powers is setting up the office of President for being a jumping off point for totalitarianism as well. 

I guess the question is, what does the modern day GOP care for more--the future of Democracy and this country, or sucking at the financial teat of Putin and Russian oligarchs at the expense of our country's sovereignty and future?

I completely agree.  I don't want Democrats to wield this type of power anymore than I want Republicans.  

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

It is my understanding that Congress can undo a state of emergency with a veto proof resolution.  Let’s see how this plays out on the right.

42 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

It's troubling because if they don't suppress it, it sets a legal precedent that future Presidents can then use. When Donald and his ilk are ejected from office, that is going to bite them in the a$$. But the misuse of those powers is setting up the office of President for being a jumping off point for totalitarianism as well. 

34 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I completely agree.  I don't want Democrats to wield this type of power anymore than I want Republicans.  

If Trump's plans get overridden, he's going to have the mother of all meltdowns. And I'll love every minute of it. BUT, it sounds like the "undoing" process has to go through the normal legislative procedures. Per an article from Quartz... 

"Congress can also end presidential national emergencies—if both the Houses and Senate agree by simple majority. A president’s veto of Congress’s refusal could be overridden only if there is a two-thirds majority in both chambers."

A Trump national emergency will face immediate legal challenges from Congress

Just now, schriznoeder said:

If Trump's plans get overridden, he's going to have the mother of all meltdowns. And I'll love every minute of it. BUT, it sounds like the "undoing" process has to go through the normal legislative procedures. Per an article from Quartz... 

"Congress can also end presidential national emergencies—if both the Houses and Senate agree by simple majority. A president’s veto of Congress’s refusal could be overridden only if there is a two-thirds majority in both chambers."

A Trump national emergency will face immediate legal challenges from Congress

That's what I read this morning as well.  That's why I said I want to see how things play out on the right.  Do they have the courage to finally put an end to this mass overreach?

• Plus1 3

So Trump will create another constitutional crisis in order to push his project to completion.  I wonder how many Russian companies (wt USA holdings) will be involved in building said wall.  Trump is so dogmatic about this that I can't help but think there is a powerful hand pushing him to make this the hill he wants to die on.    Personally, I believe in the need for a border wall -  - but I prefer boarder security which involves more than just a wall.  A wall is just one component.  However, Trump sees the wall as the only component as it appears the monument he wants to build for himself is one that will rival the Great Wall of China. 

Regarding financing the wall.  Ted Cruz has come up with his novel (unworkable) idea. 

https://www.univision.com/univision-news/opinion/experts-call-ted-cruzs-plan-to-fund-border-wall-with-chapos-drug-money-delusional