DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

32 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

I think the Republicans are right in asking about Cohen's lying and credibility.  And I love when he was asked about recording people, and Cohen said "I don't", then 30 seconds later said "I've recorded about 100 times", plus where's the hard evidence to impeach Trump?  I mean, isn't this the endgame for the Democrats?

There is plenty of evidence to impeach Trump. The evidence isn’t the hard part. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

I have a lot of thoughts about that, but I'm sure they aren't true.  I guess what it comes down for me is that this Russian collusion thing doesn't seem to have any real evidence, and that's what they've been hanging their hats on this whole time.

Al Capone was a gangster who ran liquor past the border and murdered or orchestrated the murder of several dozen men.

He was convicted of tax evasion and spent the rest of his life in jail.

I'll almost guarantee you they don't try to convict Trump of anything like Collusion. That'll be something for historians to chew on.  Prosecutors are going to go for what they absolutely know can stick.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

Really? Like what?

There is evidence of illegal campaign donations: Stormy Daniels payoff

There is evidence of using the office of POTUS for personal financial gain: Maralargo membership, foreign leaders staying at Trump Hotel, etc...

There is evidence of his foundation illegally using donations: they are being forced to dissolve

These are just a few that could be used pretty easily if Democrats were up for the political fight that would ensue.

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

Really? Like what?

They could probably impeach him for violating the emoluments clause alone.

Impeachment rules are very vague. The House can define “high crimes or misdemeaners” in a number of different ways.

I’d also say having 2 witnesses that Stormy Daniels was paid for her silence, plus the checks, might be enough by itself. 

There are probably going to end up being dozens of ways they could impeach him that have enough evidence to back them up.

And what @funhusker said about Trump’s “charity.”

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

If that was true, he would have been impeached by now or at least begun the first stages of impeachment.

Not without the the senate in control of Republicans sympathetic to Trump. The house can introduce articles of impeachment with a simple majority, but conviction requires two-thirds majority from the Senate after the trial.

GOPers in the Senate are going to have to start turning their backs on Trump for impeachment to work. Which will require intense public pressure.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, RedNebraskan said:

If that was true, he would have been impeached by now

By whom? The Republican-held congress? C'mon.

2 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

or at least begun the first stages of impeachment. 

They have. So far there are convictions and/or cooperation by Trump's:

Campaign Chairman

Lawyer

National Security Advisor

Campaign Staffer

Campaign Advisor

What do you think has been going on the past two years?

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

If that was true, he would have been impeached by now or at least begun the first stages of impeachment.

Yeah...the fact he hasn't been impeached yet, is not evidence that there isn't grounds for it.  Ulty pretty much sums it up.

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Not without the the senate in control of Republicans sympathetic to Trump. The house can introduce articles of impeachment with a simple majority, but conviction requires two-thirds majority from the Senate after the trial.

After watching what was shown today, do you honestly think enough Republicans would break ranks to impeach him no matter what evidence they saw?

• Plus1 2
23 hours ago, knapplc said:

So, just before Cohen is going to testify, this brilliant gentleman steps up to the plate with this gem:

Screen shot, because I'm guessing this will be taken down soon:

5Ej2Ue8.png

In case you're not familiar with Mr. Gaetz:

Matthew Louis Gaetz II is the U.S. Representative for Florida's 1st congressional district since 2017, where he serves on the Budget, Armed Services, and Judiciary Committees. He is a member of the Republican Party.

Pretty good call on the screenshot, eh? 

Anyoldhoo, Mr. Gaetz is in a smidge of trouble, as one might expect.

• Plus1 3