DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Landlord brought up gerrymandering to support the theory that Rs are less democratic than the Democrats. I showed it that carries no water.

It's surreal living in a border state to here people deep in the middle say there is no border crisis.  Every hour the not too partisan local news reports another story from the migrants.  Sexual assault, disease, unsupervised children etc are all the known side effects of allowing a mass migration of the 2nd world trying to get into the 1st.  And the Ds have done whatever is necessary to prevent a solution knowing every truck means more future bloc voters for the next 50 years.

You didn’t show that, and it’s hard to show since it’s false. Stop eating up the lies you’re being fed.

Btw, how old are you?

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It's surreal living in a border state to here people deep in the middle say there is no border crisis.  Every hour the not too partisan local news reports another story from the migrants.  Sexual assault, disease, unsupervised children etc are all the known side effects of allowing a mass migration of the 2nd world trying to get into the 1st.  And the Ds have done whatever is necessary to prevent a solution knowing every truck means more future bloc voters for the next 50 years.

It's true that there's a humanitarian crisis right now at the U.S. border, not unlike other countries faced with an influx of refugees and no good alternatives. 

It's not quite the same as ongoing immigration policy.  

One of the problems is Americans who can look at desperate mothers and children and see only Democrat voters.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Landlord brought up gerrymandering to support the theory that Rs are less democratic than the Democrats. I showed it that carries no water.

Except the data actually shows the reverse. Stop believing the lies that demonize immigrants.

From the George W Bush Presidential Center: A NATION BUILT BY IMMIGRANTS

From the conservative Cato Center: Immigration and Crime – What the Research Says

FYI: The "disease" propaganda comes straight from the Nazis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2690128/

In fact, many of the immigrants from Mexico and Central America are better vaccinated than Americans:

Myth #6: Immigrants are bringing diseases into the U.S.
The Facts:
Although people have claimed that undocumented immigrants have brought diseases to the U.S., including measles, hepatitis C, HIV, tuberculosis, and even Ebola, the allegations are not supported. There is no evidence that immigrants have been the source of any modern outbreaks in the U.S. According to the World Health Organization, 113 countries, including many countries in Latin America, have higher vaccination rates for 1-year-olds than the U.S. Mexico, for example, has a 99 percent vaccination rate for measles while Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador have around a 93 percent vaccination rate. The vaccination rate in the U.S., by comparison, is approximately 92 percent. The vast majority of immigrants arriving in the U.S. have been screened for health issues.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

In addition to the other stuff people have already posted, which I hope you take a look at and digest...

You're smarter than to look at our broken immigration system and why past attempts at reform have failed and blame it entirely on Democrats. You know that isn't true. Remember not that long ago we had the Gang of 8 that were going to finally get immigration reform done? Four Republicans were part of that group. McCain has passed on, rest in peace. Flake is no longer in the Senate. But what's the excuse for Marco Rubio and Lindsey Graham?

They put their own ambitions ahead of doing what is right for the country. They tucked their tails and ran from their work because they knew the Republican base would despise them for it.

Let's not pretend this is a one party problem. Have some intellectual honesty, man.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's true that there's a humanitarian crisis right now at the U.S. border, not unlike other countries faced with an influx of refugees and no good alternatives. 

It's not quite the same as ongoing immigration policy.  

One of the problems is Americans who can look at desperate mothers and children and see only Democrat voters.

Just to be clear, by "Americans" I specifically meant Notre Dame Joe and his pathological eye-rolling. 

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I live in a border state and have my entire life and nothing about this is true. RedDenver summed it up perfectly. Why don't you just be honest about the real reason you think their is a immigration crisis. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Please read the entire articles, and not just my quoted parts.  They are very informative as to what is going on.

Well, this is a good starting point discussing how illegal immigration from the south has changed.

New York Times

Here are good articles on why they are coming.

Washington Post

Council on Foreign Relations

I find this interesting.  

Thanks. Doubling is a big increase but we need more than 5 months to see if it's a trend. And even if it did double from last year, it's still a lot lower than it used to be.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There is no border crisis. This is a distraction being fed to people so they don't spend all their time wondering why Russia meddled in our 2016 & 2018 elections and Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump won't do anything about it.

UAE8HbP.jpg

You forgot about the part where they just don't really like the brown people but spot on. The only reason I say that is because Trump campaigned on this as well as Muslim ban. Trump, a man of the (white) people

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

There is no border crisis. This is a distraction being fed to people so they don't spend all their time wondering why Russia meddled in our 2016 & 2018 elections and Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump won't do anything about it.

UAE8HbP.jpg

You're right.  It's not a crisis in the sense that we are being invaded by an unprecedented number of those horrible brown people.  It is a crisis though in the sense that it's women and children at the border and something needs to be done to make sure they are safe and then decide if they should be allowed in or not.  In a deeper view, it's a crisis that the American market for drugs and deportation of violent criminals has created such horrible conditions in these countries that these families need to flee.

I firmly believe that we need to keep trying to help these countries stabilize themselves.  Once that's done, they will stop knocking on our door.  The vast majority of these people actually want to live in their own country.  They don't want to make such a dangerous journey to here.  But, they feel they need too.  

Demonizing these people is not the answer in a practical sense nor a moral sense.  

And....yes....I agree that Trump likes this "crisis" because it's something else to talk about other than Russia.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In a deeper view, it's a crisis that the American market for drugs and deportation of violent criminals has created such horrible conditions in these countries that these families need to flee. 

I firmly believe that we need to keep trying to help these countries stabilize themselves.  Once that's done, they will stop knocking on our door.  The vast majority of these people actually want to live in their own country.  They don't want to make such a dangerous journey to here.  But, they feel they need too.   

Demonizing these people is not the answer in a practical sense nor a moral sense. 

This is correct. The one thing that would actually help stem the flow of asylum seekers from Central and South America would be humanitarian aid and helping them stabilize and democratize their countries.

Instead the Trump immigration doctrine is to prove how cruel and inhumane we can treat people when they arrive so the base knows how tough we are on immigration. In part because Trump doesn't want to or can't solve other problems, but also the logical conclusion of the GOP stoking fear and anger at "the other" to its base for votes.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right.  It's not a crisis in the sense that we are being invaded by an unprecedented number of those horrible brown people.  It is a crisis though in the sense that it's women and children at the border and something needs to be done to make sure they are safe and then decide if they should be allowed in or not.  In a deeper view, it's a crisis that the American market for drugs and deportation of violent criminals has created such horrible conditions in these countries that these families need to flee.

And....yes....I agree that Trump likes this "crisis" because it's something else to talk about other than Russia.

Ok, so there are too different crises we’re talking about, imo. One is potentially real, a humanitarian crisis. The other is the one Trump, Notre Dame Joe and others like them talk about - Criminals entering our country, stealing our jobs, raping our women, giving us diseases, etc. The things Trump wants to do to combat the latter aren’t going to help with the former, and he’s not interested in helping with it. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ok, so there are too different crises we’re talking about, imo. One is potentially real, a humanitarian crisis. The other is the one Trump, Notre Dame Joe and others like them talk about - Criminals entering our country, stealing our jobs, raping our women, giving us diseases, etc. The things Trump wants to do to combat the latter aren’t going to help with the former. 

Correct.

But, we aren't talking about the real crisis because of the made up crisis Trump has created.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Root cause analysis 101.  Go to the source of the problem and work with us to fix the root.   Maybe the idea of the North American Union makes more sense since we are already paying for much of the poor in NA.  No, I don't want the NAU but I do think if we are spending billions all ready, we might as well work with local govts to change the conditions there - with certain stipulations or controls in place (we may have to 'encourage' some low life leaders to step down - not to be confused wt the one we have here).