DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2019/10/08/trump-china-tariffs-trade-war-us-economy-impact/amp/

please tell me you understand that China isn’t paying the tariffs. 

I feel like this was discussed in my 100 level econ class. Things like protectionist style tarrifs always end up hurting those that impose them. In the end, those increase in costs to import are paid by the end consumer, not the importing company/country. But this was 18 years ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mike Mcdee said:

I feel like this was discussed in my 100 level econ class. Things like protectionist style tarrifs always end up hurting those that impose them. In the end, those increase in costs to import are paid by the end consumer, not the importing company/country. But this was 18 years ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

I have the feeling @Notre Dame Joe didn’t take that class. 

13 hours ago, Mike Mcdee said:

That was econ doctrine that Trump challenged. My question is: if tariffs or other trade barriers hurt only the country that imposes them, then why is China et al still using them on their shores?

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

That was econ doctrine that Trump challenged. My question is: if tariffs or other trade barriers hurt only the country that imposes them, then why is China et al still using them on their shores?

it is a tax collection system that fools the rubes into believing the other country is paying the taxes when actually the consumer is paying the taxes to the foreign companies who then pay it forward to the government collecting the tariffs.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

If there is a domestic product available, they can work to make sure the domestic product is price competitive, if not cheaper.

I'm not going to pretend to know anymore than the surface argument here.  But if the USA doesn't have a reasonably priced domestic product available, consumers either by the expensive domestic or the "now" expensive import.  Either way, the consumer feels the burden.  Now, I'm sure trade agreements are filled with nuance and moving pieces, so this very simple explanation isn't meant to be more than just that..

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Because they have a long history of centrally-planned communist economic tendencies and we don't?

• Plus1 1

Sally Yates Throws James Comey 'Under the Bus'

Graham pressed Yates on the details of the bureau's "Crossfire Hurricane" investigation and the circumstances surrounding the White House interview of Flynn, at one point asking her, "Did Comey go rogue?"

"You could use that term, yes," agreed Yates, who added that she was "irritated" with Comey for not telling her that Flynn's communications with then-Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak were being investigated.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/lindsey-graham-sally-yates-james-comey

The spin doctors say this means the former Obama Admin are willing to let James Comey take the fall.  They would not be using that language if they were going to bat for him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Dollars to donuts Ron Johnson is going to nibble around the edges with this until October and then a few weeks before the election he'll subpoena Biden and/or Obama to give Trump and the right a big fat talking point to use in the home stretch of the election.

God willing people will see through it and realize we have real issues to address rather than Biden getting Comeyed again.

DOJ Lawyer pleads guilty.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/us/politics/kevin-clinesmith-durham-investigation.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The lawyer, Kevin Clinesmith, 38, who was assigned to the Russia investigation, plans to admit that he altered an email from the C.I.A. that investigators relied on to seek renewed court permission in 2017 for a secret wiretap on the former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, who had at times provided information to the spy agency. Mr. Clinesmith’s lawyer said he made a mistake while trying to clarify facts for a colleague.

I believe the question posed was why would an innocent man plead guilty?