DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

Agreed - and I do think that the convenient disclosure of this info several weeks after it actually happened was very calculated. I sense that the Mueller operation is running well and within the walls of the investigation, but every once and awhile, just to send a message (to people other than Mannefort) I think this stuff is shared. As a warning certainly, but our leadership has proven it is unable to keep itself quiet on matters, and I don't doubt that this sort of truthful baiting might produce lots of activity (that is most certainly being monitored)

Remember: A search warrant, unlike a subpoena request, requires probable cause.

I was trying to figure out if this will be the Ah Ha moment and what the correlation might be to Watergate - its ah ha moment. I thought Trump's memo to Mueller was really strange -- also the timing was very strange. But perhaps this raid explains it. Kiss butt time as he is feeling the heat.

There has to be more than smoke at this point to (1) appoint a grand jury (2) have this raid. Will Mueller cut a deal with Manafort and he become this scandal's version of John Dean?? :snacks: Someone will eventually want to save his skin and spill the beans. Manafort would be smart to request a 'deal' to spill the beans. He is on the hot seat now and to delay is to lose the opportunity. You know that he knows all of the details. Would Trump be loyal to him? - We know that answer.

I think this will eventually play out like a fine tuned band :band wt Mueller laying a very detailed foundation for indictment. Keep tuned in :tv

I don't know what to make of this discussion:

But I wholeheartedly agree with its concluding paragraph (emphasis mine):

The U.S. public didn't quite buy Clinton's "the Russians did it" line last year, and she lost the election. By now, though, many Americans are sold on it. That may be an Iraq-sized mistake, leading to a dangerous failure to recognize that Donald Trump's victory was an American phenomenon, not a Russian-made one. Authoritarian regimes such as Putin's routinely use external enemies to gloss over domestic divisions and distract the public from problems at home. In a functioning democracy, such tactics should not succeed.

• Fire 1

Intel Vets Challenge ‘Russia Hack’ Evidence

This isn't getting much MSM coverage, so I'm skeptical about it's veracity, but the forensics group (Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)) has a history of being right about things like the Bush Admin lying about the Iraq War, so it may be legit.

Summary:

Forensic studies of “Russian hacking” into Democratic National Committee computers last year reveal that on July 5, 2016, data was leaked (not hacked) by a person with physical access to DNC computer. After examining metadata from the “Guccifer 2.0” July 5, 2016 intrusion into the DNC server, independent cyber investigators have concluded that an insider copied DNC data onto an external storage device.
Key among the findings of the independent forensic investigations is the conclusion that the DNC data was copied onto a storage device at a speed that far exceeds an Internet capability for a remote hack. Of equal importance, the forensics show that the copying was performed on the East coast of the U.S.

This is so fascinating to me about The Intercept. One of its former writers, RT'd by Glenn Greenwald today:

He's criticizing Molly McKew (a journalist who has written for the Washington Free Beacon as well as Foreign Policy, among others; I think I have a relatively dim view of the Free Beacon but look, it's not so black and white) for this Twitter thread on how Russia likes to engage in "soft war" tactics that promote internal instability and encourage internal strife. This is indeed Russia's blueprint, and that's as clear as day.

On the other hand, Mr. sick transit, gloria has good points. When asked for analysis:

Here is my deconstruction: racism and fascist tendencies are as American as apple pie & the GOP. The thread is intellectual smoke & mirrors

I agree with the first sentence wholeheartedly. I can even provisionally accept the second. I don't know how far Russia's actual involvement is clear, and thus maybe this is an unfair distraction brought up by Molly.

What's fascinating is the anger. Almost (or completely?) without fail, there's this circle which includes everybody associated with the Intercept that is incredibly sensitive to the Russia topic. Russia is no angel. Molly McKew may be wrong. But 'the dumbest f'ing thing I have ever read on this garbage website'? Holy $#balls. For people who are very correctly and very admirably critical of the corrosiveness of blind American patriotism, these guys react to every negative statement about Putin's Russia like you'd just spat in their mother's face. What's going on here? What's the deal, guys?

To quote Glenn Greenwald: