DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Seeing lots of rumbles on twitter about what sort of info will get "leaked" if this memo is published.  I wouldn't mess with the Intelligence Community.  I have a feeling if this goes public all bets are off.  Wyden has already thrown off the gloves, I don't think Schiff would go against the rules, but I don't know the others in that group with Nunes.

I thought this was an interesting call and response from a couple voices on Twitter. Both are pretty good follows, IMO, particularly Tom.

Nunes is about to find out that there are consequences for dragging the FBI through the mud. Trump & his cronies have no one off an FBI director, an acting director & FBI lawyer who, by all accounts, were very popular & well-liked within the agency & showed the president nothing but respect publicly.

I'd think that would rustle some jimmies, myself. Someone as publicly incompetent as Nunes doesn't understand the gravity of what he's getting himself into.

This references Nunes announcing the investigation into the DOJ/FBI:

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would feel more sure about this if the head of the FBI hadn't just resigned giving Trump the chance to put his stooge in place to squash all of it.

I actually feel like Wray is one of the very few people Trump has appointed that is competent & impartial. He seems like he's steered completely clear of the Russia investigation & had the cojones to tell the White House to not release his memo because it contained inaccurate information & paints a false narrative.

It's pretty clear the FBI doesn't support Nunes' memo. Trump wants it released because it makes him look good.

So, yeah, I don't mind Wray. Him and Mattis, man. Rosenstein seems like a straight shooter, too. Those are about the only Trump appointees worth their weight. Am I missing anybody?

8 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

I actually feel like Wray is one of the very few people Trump has appointed that is competent & impartial. He seems like he's steered completely clear of the Russia investigation & had the cojones to tell the White House to not release his memo because it contained inaccurate information & paints a false narrative.

It's pretty clear the FBI doesn't support Nunes' memo. Trump wants it released because it makes him look good.

So, yeah, I don't mind Wray. Him and Mattis, man. Rosenstein seems like a straight shooter, too. Those are about the only Trump appointees worth their weight. Am I missing anybody?

I was talking more about McCabe stepping down.  If Wray keeps complete autonomy from the Administration and he is over whomever replaces McCabe.....then, I feel better.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I talked with my Congressman, who was allowed to read the top-secret memo in question. He can't reveal details other than: Oh my God, what a childish attempt to cherry-pick evidence and conflate beyond all reason. 

and yet...the right wing propaganda media will use it to whip their base into a frenzy.

14 hours ago, Husker_Power said:

I wonder if there will be an investigation into Nunes!!  The repubs are playing a pretty hard game of Twister to protect their guy in the WH.  For a party that tried so hard to get someone else besides Trump nominated (16 other guys/gal running for the office), they sure are falling all over themselves protecting him.  This is why I would almost wish for a Dem take over of congress (as long as San Fran Nan isn't the House Speaker) even for one term just to cleanse the congress of these so call leaders.  But the repub party voters will probably reelect many of these guys. Of course many have announced they aren't running again - maybe they suspect a Dem wave.  Time for new blood to lead with both parties.  I wonder if the younger generation of leaders would be less partisan after watching all of this?

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I talked with my Congressman, who was allowed to read the top-secret memo in question. He can't reveal details other than: Oh my God, what a childish attempt to cherry-pick evidence and conflate beyond all reason. 

I'm so grateful when I hear folks are talking with their congressmen.  Thank you Guy.  We need to remind them (even in blue states) that we're counting on them to do their jobs.

Wray to quit if memo released??

What kind of turmoil will that create!

Adding to the turmoil, Rep Schiff says it will create a constitutional crisis.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/01/politics/white-house-worried-wray-nunes-memo/index.html

Washington (CNN)Top White House aides are worried FBI Director Christopher Wray could quit if the highly controversial Republican memo alleging the FBI abused its surveillance tools is released, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation tell CNN.

Wray has made clear he is frustrated that President Donald Trump picked him to lead the FBI after he fired FBI Director James Comey in May, yet his advice on the Nunes memo is being disregarded and cast as part of the purported partisan leadership of the FBI, according to a senior law enforcement official.
Wray's stance is "raising hell," one source familiar with the matter said.
Wray has not directly threatened to resign after clashing with Trump over the possible release of the memo, the source added, because that is not his style of dealing with conflict.

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) warned of a looming “constitutional crisis” if Republicans in Congress succeed in having a controversial classified memo released that reportedly attacks the FBI and the Justice Department’s Russia investigation.

Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, railed against the release of the memo produced by the committee’s chairman, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), in an op-ed for The Washington Post on Wednesday. Schiff called the four-page document, which Republicans claim reveals the FBI’s political bias, a “conspiracy theory” designed by the GOP to undermine the FBI and Justice Department as their investigations into Russian ties to the Trump campaign go deeper. 

“As [special counsel Robert] Mueller and his team move closer to the president and his inner circle, a sense of panic is palpable on the Hill,” Schiff wrote. “GOP members recognize that the probe threatens not only the president but also their majorities in Congress.”

The risk of a “constitutional crisis” is increased, he said, by “setting the stage for subsequent actions by the White House” to fire Mueller or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Schiff accused Republicans of attempting to undermine the Justice Department and FBI by painting them as “so tainted by bias against President Trump that they irredeemably poisoned the investigation.”

He added, “This decision to employ an obscure rule to order the release of classified information for partisan political purposes crossed a dangerous line.”

• Plus1 1