DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And then he walked it back.  Mueller had already promised he would not say anything new (ya know stuff that would put him in legal trouble) and he followed through.

Except that's a load of s*** right there too, when Mueller confirmed not only that the report didn't exonerate Trump, but it provided more than enough evidence to arrest Trump as soon as his days of being one of the s*****est Presidents of all time are complete. 

Seriously--at this point, you're defending a President and a party that is willingly collaborating with a foreign power to undermine the integrity of this country. And that's excluding the sexual abuse allegations, the overt and blatant racism, and child rape accusations associated from his dealing with Epstein and the court documents from Epstein's victims. 

The cognitive dissonance required to pull this off must require the energy of a thousand suns. 

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, ZRod said:

Because what's the point? They impeach him and then the Senate votes to do nothing. It essentially a loss right now. Short of Mcgahn or Hope Hicks straight up testifying that Trump committed crimes the GOP will never vote to convict in the Senate.

Everyone needs to be subpoenaed to testify, and that will take years...

Clinton was impeached in the House but acquitted in the Senate...

In the next election, approximately 13 months later, Republicans won the White House and retained the House.

Just because McConnell, Sasse, et al will abdicate their responsibilities does not mean impeachment will be a lost cause.

EDIT: Fun fact, Democrats have more Senate seats now (including the 2 independents that caucus with Democrats) than Republicans did during Clinton's trial.

• Thanks 4

Two big conclusions from Mueller's testimony yesterday

1.  His report did not exonerate the president.

2.  The president can be charged after he leaves office.  Let see if that happens around January 21st 2021.

I expect some one will bring those charges up pretty quickly after we inaugurate a new president in 1/20/2021

https://www.axios.com/mueller-trump-charges-obstruction-after-leaves-office-0159957c-cfd7-44f5-ae19-974e11ebe706.html

The exchange:

• Buck: "You made the decision on the Russian interference. You couldn't have indicted the president on that, and you made the decision on that. But when it came to obstruction, you threw a bunch of stuff up against the wall to see what would stick."
  • Mueller: "I would not agree to that characterization at all. What we did is provide to the attorney general in the form of a confidential memorandum our understanding of the case. Those cases that were brought, those cases that were declined. And the — that one case where the president cannot be charged with a crime."
  • Buck: "Okay. But could you charge the president with a crime after he left office?"
  • Mueller: "Yes."
  • Buck: "You believe you could charge the president with obstruction of justice after he left office?"
  • Mueller: "Yes."

The big picture: Throughout the hearing, Mueller repeatedly referred to the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel opinion that prevents a sitting president from being indicted. Asked why he continued his investigation after determining that he would be unable to charge Trump, Mueller said that the OLC opinion does not apply once Trump leaves office and that other people involved in potential obstruction could also be indicted.

• Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Except that's a load of s*** right there too, when Mueller confirmed not only that the report didn't exonerate Trump, but it provided more than enough evidence to arrest Trump as soon as his days of being one of the s*****est Presidents of all time are complete. 

Seriously--at this point, you're defending a President and a party that is willingly collaborating with a foreign power to undermine the integrity of this country. And that's excluding the sexual abuse allegations, the overt and blatant racism, and child rape accusations associated from his dealing with Epstein and the court documents from Epstein's victims. 

The cognitive dissonance required to pull this off must require the energy of a thousand suns. 

Exactly!!

@Notre Dame Joe  This is as simple as it gets.

These answers are from a guy that has more integrity and given more to the security of this country than Trump will ever dream of....even in his bloated view of himself.

You are doing a great job of proving that there is absolutely nothing Trump could do to get you and the rest of his followers to view him in a negative light.  If you don't like the message, you will always attack the messenger.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Two big conclusions from Mueller's testimony yesterday

1.  His report did not exonerate the president.

2.  The president can be charged after he leaves office.  Let see if that happens around January 21st 2021.

I expect some one will bring those charges up pretty quickly after we inaugurate a new president in 1/20/2021

https://www.axios.com/mueller-trump-charges-obstruction-after-leaves-office-0159957c-cfd7-44f5-ae19-974e11ebe706.html

To add to that Buck quote, his full second question was actually:

"You believe that he committed, you could charge the President of the United States with obstruction of justice after he left office?"

"Yes."

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly!!

@Notre Dame Joe  This is as simple as it gets.

These answers are from a guy that has more integrity and given more to the security of this country than Trump will ever dream of....even in his bloated view of himself.

You are doing a great job of proving that there is absolutely nothing Trump could do to get you and the rest of his followers to view him in a negative light.  If you don't like the message, you will always attack the messenger.  

The Cult of Trump in plain sight. 

To add to the above tweet - Mueller nailed the real issue at hand in the 2nd interview yesterday.  The Russians are still at it, they and others will be 'raiding' our 2020 election.  Trump still invites help from these outsiders even with his recent comments.  The guy should be removed from office but he has a Cult like following as demonstrated here and a bunch of enablers in Congress. 

Does anyone need to wonder anymore how a Hitler came to power.  I don't claim we are on that path but you see the same dynamics being played out in front of us.   Lies, disinformation, criminal acts, blind loyalty to a power hungry man, desire by others to have a seat at the power table -- Congress, certain religious leaders, etc - remember Hitler had the backing of a large portion of the German church - drawing them in with fear and playing on their prejudices - sound familiar??

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The Cult of Trump in plain sight. 

To add to the above tweet - Mueller nailed the real issue at hand in the 2nd interview yesterday.  The Russians are still at it, they and others will be 'raiding' our 2020 election.  Trump still invites help from these outsiders even with his recent comments.  The guy should be removed from office but he has a Cult like following as demonstrated here and a bunch of enablers in Congress. 

Does anyone need to wonder anymore how a Hitler came to power.  I don't claim we are on that path but you see the same dynamics being played out in front of us.   Lies, disinformation, criminal acts, blind loyalty to a power hungry man, desire by others to have a seat at the power table -- Congress, certain religious leaders, etc - remember Hitler had the backing of a large portion of the German church - drawing them in with fear and playing on their prejudices - sound familiar??

Yup. Don't forget the calls from some domestic churches (especially the Mormon church) which encouraged young male parishioners to go fight for Germany (or the Motherland, depending on where the church was located) because their crusade was just and righteous. 

Hell, one of the first scenes after successfully storming Omaha Beach in Band of Brothers shows a group of captured German soldiers that were actually American kids (Mormons, IIRC) that were hoodwinked into fighting for the Nazis by Church leadership.

It's amazing how conservative groups that preach integrity and morality frequently come up short in those departments when it truly matters. 

On 7/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, Cdog923 said:

I try and give most politicians the benefit of the doubt that they are following their beliefs, however rigid and backwards some of them might be, but Jim Jordan and Matt Gaetz are just pure, unadulterated a$$h@!es licking at the heels of Trump.  

Heels? I was thinking someplace a little higher... :D

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And then he walked it back. 

That isn't true. He did not walk back his statement that you could charge the President once he's out of office. He walked back his statement regarding the OLC opinion being the only reason they didn't charge.

@QMany, maybe you can help me with that part because I don't quite understand it. I saw legal experts on twitter predicting he would walk that bit back from the moment he said it, but none of them explained exactly why. That was the biggest bombshell at the time and then he retracted it, but it all leaves me feeling a bit lost as to what was actually meant.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

That isn't true. He did not walk back his statement that you could charge the President once he's out of office. He walked back his statement regarding the OLC opinion being the only reason they didn't charge.

@QMany, maybe you can help me with that part because I don't quite understand it. I saw legal experts on twitter predicting he would walk that bit back from the moment he said it, but none of them explained exactly why. That was the biggest bombshell at the time and then he retracted it, but it all leaves me feeling a bit lost as to what was actually meant.

In the words of Ted Lieu himself, who Mueller was originally responding too, it was to avoid the implication that there was a felon in the White House. You would very quickly be in territory we have never been in before if the special counsel said that their were charges pending for the president. According to the OLC he can't even bring those charges. Mueller could have said he would charge Trump, but he is playing by the rules and coloring inside the lines he was given.

There is a real fear that if the House moves forward with impeaching, it will just fail and strengthen Trump like it did with Clinton. Main difference between the cases, though, is the severity of the crimes. Clinton's impeachment was based off of being accused of Sexual Assault by Paula Jones, the prosecution finding out about an extra-marital affair with Monica Lewinsky, and Clinton perjuring himself attempting to cover it up. Sexual Assault is absolutely a terrible crime, but Obstructing Justice while trying to cover up a foreign power attempting to tamper with our Presidential election is actually Treason.

Can we start the "Lock Him Up" chants? Or is it just tacky?