Jump to content
NM11046

DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

Recommended Posts

On 7/29/2019 at 7:57 AM, knapplc said:

 

What appeals to you the most? Tax cuts for the rich? Tarrifs that hurt American business? Or just the blatant racism?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....I guess he strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elites.....as long as you are white, Republican, old, male, have established your undying love and devotion to him....and don't live in Baltimore.

Sadly, that is good enough for a lot of people around me, but to be fair, I don't live in Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deedsker said:

Sadly, that is good enough for a lot of people around me, but to be fair, I don't live in Baltimore. 

 

It's really sad that these people are so desperate for hope and change in their own lives that they're willing to fall for some cheap words and snake oil from an obvious con man like Trump.

 

It is comforting to see his approval falling off steadily in a lot of states in the Midwest crucial to the 2020 EC. Let's hope when push comes to shove these people will vote for a Democrat who wants to actually help them economically rather than siding with Trump because of straight appeals to racism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think voting for a Democrat is in the tea leaves. I have family that are farmers, that last I saw them or saw some of their activities on social media, they still love Trump. I don't know how to rap my head around it or explain anything otherwise, but since he is a GOP president it is thumbs up from them. They are relatively good people, who just want things to work out for them and their community, but I don't think they even have to contemplate what Trumps words and actions mean for people in other places in the country.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I don't think voting for a Democrat is in the tea leaves. I have family that are farmers, that last I saw them or saw some of their activities on social media, they still love Trump. I don't know how to rap my head around it or explain anything otherwise, but since he is a GOP president it is thumbs up from them. They are relatively good people, who just want things to work out for them and their community, but I don't think they even have to contemplate what Trumps words and actions mean for people in other places in the country.

Just got  back from a visit to my parents who whole heartedly support Trump.  Because "immigration".  

 

My mom was a union member for years and gets a pension monthly and struggles to vote R supposedly - she did vote Obama but hated Hillary (ironically that coincided with retirement and 24/7 Fox viewing).  

 

They complained openly during my visit about how their liberal friends belittle trump and call him names, referring to his small hands etc (momentarily followed up by mom calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahantas")  

 

"Trump has done some great things" they say - when I ask them what they say:  the economy (so I share data showing it flat currently and the trend from Obama years) as well as overall comparison by S&P at the same time in both administrations.

 

I will never move my dad, but I did attempt to speak facts to my mother.  Urging her to just read and make her own opinion instead of looking at Fox opinion shows and thinking they're right and the whole store.  If she must watch Fox then to watch the news, Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, Shep Smith - actual news people.  We discussed the news bubble graph that buckets by bias - that was an interesting dialogue.  She thinks every example I shared (NPR, NYTimes, WaPo, etc) is liberal.  I posed the question (and I know she's still thinking about it), does she think that there's a chance she views all sources other than Fox as liberal because she doesn't recognize their views? That perhaps her limited exposure has her thinking that everything else, including local papers are liberal and biased?    I mean seriously - every periodical, pod case, tv option - they're all biased in a liberal tilt?  

 

I am just broken hearted.  

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deedsker said:

I don't think voting for a Democrat is in the tea leaves. I have family that are farmers, that last I saw them or saw some of their activities on social media, they still love Trump. I don't know how to rap my head around it or explain anything otherwise, but since he is a GOP president it is thumbs up from them. They are relatively good people, who just want things to work out for them and their community, but I don't think they even have to contemplate what Trumps words and actions mean for people in other places in the country.

 

 

I think the only way to get even a smidgen of them is if the recession happens before the election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Just got  back from a visit to my parents who whole heartedly support Trump.  Because "immigration".  

 

My mom was a union member for years and gets a pension monthly and struggles to vote R supposedly - she did vote Obama but hated Hillary (ironically that coincided with retirement and 24/7 Fox viewing).  

 

They complained openly during my visit about how their liberal friends belittle trump and call him names, referring to his small hands etc (momentarily followed up by mom calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahantas")   

 

"Trump has done some great things" they say - when I ask them what they say:  the economy (so I share data showing it flat currently and the trend from Obama years) as well as overall comparison by S&P at the same time in both administrations. 

 

I will never move my dad, but I did attempt to speak facts to my mother.  Urging her to just read and make her own opinion instead of looking at Fox opinion shows and thinking they're right and the whole store.  If she must watch Fox then to watch the news, Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, Shep Smith - actual news people.  We discussed the news bubble graph that buckets by bias - that was an interesting dialogue.  She thinks every example I shared (NPR, NYTimes, WaPo, etc) is liberal.  I posed the question (and I know she's still thinking about it), does she think that there's a chance she views all sources other than Fox as liberal because she doesn't recognize their views? That perhaps her limited exposure has her thinking that everything else, including local papers are liberal and biased?    I mean seriously - every periodical, pod case, tv option - they're all biased in a liberal tilt?   

 

I am just broken hearted.  

 

Wow, that's really disheartening, I'm sorry.

 

Luckily my parents aren't all that interested in politics and only have a rooftop antenna for TV, so they just get local channels. I don't think I'll have to worry about losing a parent to Fox News. I've heard too many sad stories from good people on this board about that very problem.

 

It sounds like they've bought in on the culture wars and are on Team Trump. It's amazing to me how many people view politics as a sport where you have to always attack the enemy and blindly support your team.

 

I was thinking today about the economy selling point and I don't get it. He campaigned on 5% growth. He hasn't even achieved 3% with a gigantic unnecessary tax cut as stimulus. Now we've got a ton of debt while not hitting our growth goals and merely continuing unemployment and real wage trends. As much touting as the Trump economy gets, it seems thoroughly meh to me.

 

Sorry again about it though. This whole thing has definitely exposed some nasty cultural divides that can tear even families apart.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

I think the only way to get even a smidgen of them is if the recession happens before the election.

if the recession happens before the election all is good.  but what happens if trump loses and he doesn't declare martial law to stay in office?   a dem gets in then that recession freight train hits during his term.......the repubs will being in hog heaven.    in a way....god help me for even thinking this...but i almost hope trump wins so that freight train lands on him.   the republicans will still blame hillary, obama, and the dems., but it won't carry the same weight.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, commando said:

if the recession happens before the election all is good.  but what happens if trump loses and he doesn't declare martial law to stay in office?   a dem gets in then that recession freight train hits during his term.......the repubs will being in hog heaven.    in a way....god help me for even thinking this...but i almost hope trump wins so that freight train lands on him.   the republicans will still blame hillary, obama, and the dems., but it won't carry the same weight.   

 

 

None of that matters. People are f#&%ing morons. The past 3 years proves that. It literally doesn’t matter at all to the huge majority of Republicans when the recession hits; they’ll blame Obama and the new president if it’s a Democrat.

 

But I get exactly where you’re coming from. Every time I hear of something negative that’s going to happen to an area with mostly Trump voters due directly to his policies, I almost wish the non Republicans wouldn’t try to prevent it. People need to see the repurcussions. Maybe the Democrats should stop challenging some of this stuff and let people see what would happen. Maybe they should’ve let the ACA go away - I know someone who would be suffering horribly now if it had but she’s a Trump supporter. Let’s see how well the Republicans get us out of a bad recession. I wish we had an alternate universe where, even if Trump loses, people can see what would happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, commando said:

in a way....god help me for even thinking this...but i almost hope trump wins so that freight train lands on him.   

 

Image result for disapproval gif

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 3:44 AM, commando said:

pencil breakers? can you back up that claim?   or is hyperbole your best defense? 

You didn't know "domestic violence" expanded to violence against property?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Notre Dame Joe said:

You didn't know "domestic violence" expanded to violence against property?

can you sight a case where someone was convicted of domestic violence only for breaking a pencil?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, commando said:

can you sight a case where someone was convicted of domestic violence only for breaking a pencil?

But they "could" be....

 

It must be tiring fighting against s#!t that doesn't exist...

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...