What will be Ivanka's "unofficial" duties be?

I think the message from her company was in poor taste and completely ignored what Memorial Day is all about, but they're guilty alongside countless other brands/companies that try to market and make money off the holiday.

On a day other than Memorial Day perhaps it would have been more appropriate. This was just insensitive and out of touch.

And even if she has a "marketing person" she is paying them to make smart decisions on messaging and timing. This was a bad choice.

There is no way in hell Ivanka is sitting at her computer tweeting for that account. That is some marketing person doing that. Ivanka probably didn't even know the tweet went out until she saw it on her own feed.

Apologies, but I didn't literally mean it was Ivanka. Edited to better phrase that.

On a day other than Memorial Day perhaps it would have been more appropriate. This was just insensitive and out of touch.

And even if she has a "marketing person" she is paying them to make smart decisions on messaging and timing. This was a bad choice.

No disagreement, but what about the countless bars, alcohol companies and food manufacturers that market for Memorial Day by plastering American flags all over their products and playing to our sense of patriotism? Sure, they often don't say "Drink our beer today," but their messaging is intended to cause an impulse decision to buy their product because it's an American theme on an American holiday.

Perhaps you also find those disappointing. Maybe you don't. I'm mostly playing Devil's Advocate and don't mean to single you out.

Fair point, but most of the complaints about the tweet have centered on the content of the tweet (and apparent lack of respect for the holiday) than the fact that she's a public servant whose business is marketing itself.

• Fire 1

Fair point, but most of the complaints about the tweet have centered on the content of the tweet (and apparent lack of respect for the holiday) than the fact that she's a public servant whose business is marketing itself.

Yeah. I kind of gather that if she had tweeted about making icy pops with orange juice that nobody would have cared. It's the champagne that people are focusing on. And if I had a dime for every can of beer that was consumed on Memorial Day alone, not counting the whole weekend, I'd be rich.

As controversies go, this really isn't. I think people need to focus more on Jared than Ivanka. At least at the moment.

• Fire 2

No disagreement, but what about the countless bars, alcohol companies and food manufacturers that market for Memorial Day by plastering American flags all over their products and playing to our sense of patriotism? Sure, they often don't say "Drink our beer today," but their messaging is intended to cause an impulse decision to buy their product because it's an American theme on an American holiday.

Perhaps you also find those disappointing. Maybe you don't. I'm mostly playing Devil's Advocate and don't mean to single you out.

Kinda what Zoogs said.

This is the problem with straddling the role of public servant and business woman. You've got to pick one. An employee (or volunteer as I think she calls herself) of the country is to be held to a higher standard. If the text said "celebrate those who gave the ultimate sacrifice with a champagne pop" I'd have less of a problem with it than the fact that it's a "long weekend".

And I do struggle with supporting those businesses that bill this as a party weekend without acknowledging what it's all about.

I know you're not singling out - just struggle with the double standard we as a nation are approaching this administration with. If any other grown child of the current president put something like this out, regardless of their business holdings it would get raked over the coals. Why she's on a pedestal just because she's attractive and his favorite I really don't understand. Chelsea certainly wouldn't get the same breaks.

I honestly really didn't have a problem with the tweet. Like others have said. It's no different than what any other company does on a weekend like this. The only reason this made any type of wave is that it had the name Ivanka on it. If it were a company that didn't have her name, nobody would have even noticed.

You know how many BBQ ads, news letters, grilling tips...etc. talking about enjoying the holiday weekend I received over the last week?

And...I dislike the family as much as the next guy....but, some of the criticism for stuff like this is ridiculous.

I honestly really didn't have a problem with the tweet. Like others have said. It's no different than what any other company does on a weekend like this. The only reason this made any type of wave is that it had the name Ivanka on it. If it were a company that didn't have her name, nobody would have even noticed.

You know how many BBQ ads, news letters, grilling tips...etc. talking about enjoying the holiday weekend I received over the last week?

And...I dislike the family as much as the next guy....but, some of the criticism for stuff like this is ridiculous.

I agree, and I think you're spot on about the name recognition, which leads to my final thought.

I'm no Trump fan, but I don't think it's too bold or outrageous to suggest this is a problem for many people simply because it carries the name "Trump." Not that she's a public servant and not that it involves champagne.

• Fire 1