What will be Ivanka's "unofficial" duties be?

I don’t think there is even a “standard” problem with what Ivanka did. Distasteful as it may be to me, it’s standard fare promotion. All of our holidays are nothing if not commercial. Patriotism in particular sells, disgusting as that is. Buy stuff! We had red, white, and blue ribbons!

The problem is that Ivanka should not get to simultaneously do this and continue to hold her amorphous, ambiguous role within the Trump admin. If she wants to be a businesswoman, great. Sell all the cheap champagne and sh**ty self-help books she desires.

I disagree with suddenly getting holy about national holidays. However, it's also not possible for me to see this outside the context of a White House administration that has always doubled as a Trump family promotional vehicle. Why doesn't anybody at the top give a damn about policy? Because at the end of the day, their administration is outstanding business for the family.

There's very little difference between this and other events and IMO they don't need to be played off each other. They can be viewed in concert as evidence of the Trump family's almost singular preoccupation with brand advancement.

I also don't see the big deal about tweeting champagne recipes. Anyone can buy a cheap bottle of champagne. It's not like that's reserved for the super-rich.

Fair point, but most of the complaints about the tweet have centered on the content of the tweet (and apparent lack of respect for the holiday) than the fact that she's a public servant whose business is marketing itself.

Yeah. I kind of gather that if she had tweeted about making icy pops with orange juice that nobody would have cared. It's the champagne that people are focusing on. And if I had a dime for every can of beer that was consumed on Memorial Day alone, not counting the whole weekend, I'd be rich.

As controversies go, this really isn't. I think people need to focus more on Jared than Ivanka. At least at the moment.

The champagne bit makes it sound like, "If they can't eat bread, then let them eat cake!" But I agree it's really not a big deal.