Ed Morrow

I enjoyed watching Ed play, he had some fire in him, he was fun to watch. He had some life in him. That's what I'll miss.

The thing that really bugs me is that Miles was able to turn every team he's been with at ever level until he got to us, with our state of the art facilities. Despite all that we're still the Cleveland Browns of power 5 college basketball. I'm not sure it can be done. Even Belichek couldn't turn the Brown's around (not saying Miles is Belicheck but you get the idea)

And those facilities, I've asked about this before but can't recall an answer, how long is that an advantage? Are we close to missing our window in the facilities arms race?

I've kind of made peace with it though, as long as I think of Nebraska as Lincoln's team and not Nebraska's team (their are 3 schools here and we're not even close to #1 IN THE STATE). I live in Lincoln, grew up here, but work in Omaha, god is it a brutal basketball season at work.

Bill led the Browns to the playoffs which is basically saying he won a Super Bowl in Cleveland....

Any coach here can only sell what is available. Good facilities and you play in the B10. Early PT is nothing any more in basketball. Creighton's move to the Big East hurt Nebraska even a little more IMO, a lot more appeal than the MVC. I think we need to find more of a niche' style of basketball. I know for a fact we have to get some kids who can shoot the 3, been abysmal the last few years. Every B10 coach knew that all we had was the 'down hill' style of basketball trying to get to the cup.

Good point about the Big East, I hadn't even thought of that. It was right in my face the whole time.

I believe Mavric posted in another thread that Ed was our most efficient player based off ESPN player efficiency ratings. Pretty tough to believe anyone can dismiss a guy who was averaging 10 and 8 in 23 mpg while being undersized and playing hurt. Jorday may end up being the better player, as he has a higher ceiling, but Ed is definitely the best 4/5 we have/had right now.

I will lose it if you mention this stat ever again.

God damn it Mav.

The player of the year and the scoring champion barely cracked the Top 100 players in the country on that list. It's a broken statistic and everyone knows that unless you're using it to twist your argument.

Mock Draft this year, with the player's efficiency rank behind their name -

1. Markelle Fultz - 21st

2. Lonzo Ball - 82nd

3. Josh Jackson - Not top 100

4. Jayson Tatum - Not top 100

5. De'Aaron Fox - Not top 100

3 of the upcoming top 5 NBA picks are not in the top 100 players in the COUNTRY based on that stat.

Do not use it again.

Josh Jackson SUCKS!

16.3-7.4-3.0 (PPG-RPG-APG) a game while shooting 51% from the floor (38% from 3PT). Yep he totally sucks. :facepalm:<_<:moreinteresting

Complete sarcasm. Wow.

I believe Mavric posted in another thread that Ed was our most efficient player based off ESPN player efficiency ratings. Pretty tough to believe anyone can dismiss a guy who was averaging 10 and 8 in 23 mpg while being undersized and playing hurt. Jorday may end up being the better player, as he has a higher ceiling, but Ed is definitely the best 4/5 we have/had right now.

God damn it Mav.

The player of the year and the scoring champion barely cracked the Top 100 players in the country on that list. It's a broken statistic and everyone knows that unless you're using it to twist your argument.

Mock Draft this year, with the player's efficiency rank behind their name -

1. Markelle Fultz - 21st

2. Lonzo Ball - 82nd

3. Josh Jackson - Not top 100

4. Jayson Tatum - Not top 100

5. De'Aaron Fox - Not top 100

3 of the upcoming top 5 NBA picks are not in the top 100 players in the COUNTRY based on that stat.

Do not use it again.

Josh Jackson SUCKS!

16.3-7.4-3.0 (PPG-RPG-APG) a game while shooting 51% from the floor (38% from 3PT). Yep he totally sucks. :facepalm:<_<:moreinteresting

Complete sarcasm. Wow.

You never know these days.

I enjoyed watching Ed play, he had some fire in him, he was fun to watch. He had some life in him. That's what I'll miss.

The thing that really bugs me is that Miles was able to turn every team he's been with at ever level until he got to us, with our state of the art facilities. Despite all that we're still the Cleveland Browns of power 5 college basketball. I'm not sure it can be done. Even Belichek couldn't turn the Brown's around (not saying Miles is Belicheck but you get the idea)

And those facilities, I've asked about this before but can't recall an answer, how long is that an advantage? Are we close to missing our window in the facilities arms race?

I've kind of made peace with it though, as long as I think of Nebraska as Lincoln's team and not Nebraska's team (their are 3 schools here and we're not even close to #1 IN THE STATE). I live in Lincoln, grew up here, but work in Omaha, god is it a brutal basketball season at work.

The right coach can turn things around. Look at South Carolina this year.

I know it's a moot argument now, but why is there a Morrow vs. Jordy argument? Jordy is much bigger than Morrow, so technically, Jordy should be a better "post player". Morrow is playing way out of position if he's playing the same spot as Jordy. They aren't the same size.

Now, there are plenty of good college teams that utilize small lineups with great shooters and have guys the size of Morrow play inside. But, Miles either couldn't bring in good enough shooters or isn't able to coach offense well enough to run that type of system.

The problem is, with Morrow's size and skillset, there isn't necessarily a perfect position for him.

TE on the football team perhaps?

He would have been fine at 4, and a good coach would have told him "if you improve at your other skills, we can try using you at wing at times". I haven't seen anything from Copeland, but IMO Morrow was the best overall player between him, Jordy, and Jacobson.

How do you know that discussion didn't happen between Miles and Morrow?

• Fire 1

I know it's a moot argument now, but why is there a Morrow vs. Jordy argument? Jordy is much bigger than Morrow, so technically, Jordy should be a better "post player". Morrow is playing way out of position if he's playing the same spot as Jordy. They aren't the same size.

Now, there are plenty of good college teams that utilize small lineups with great shooters and have guys the size of Morrow play inside. But, Miles either couldn't bring in good enough shooters or isn't able to coach offense well enough to run that type of system.

The problem is, with Morrow's size and skillset, there isn't necessarily a perfect position for him.

He would have been fine at 4, and a good coach would have told him "if you improve at your other skills, we can try using you at wing at times". I haven't seen anything from Copeland, but IMO Morrow was the best overall player between him, Jordy, and Jacobson.

Because, we all know a aquarium guy, barber, family friend, etc.

God damn it Mav.

Or .... you know ..... maybe .... and I'm just spit-balling here ..... the Player Efficiency Rating is set to to measure which players are most EFFICIENT. Which could be different that players racking up the most stats.

• Fire 1

Because, we all know a aquarium guy, barber, family friend, etc.

I'm not trying to pretend I know more than anyone else on here, and I have no idea what was actually said between Miles and Morrow. I do know that Morrow wasn't happy with Miles' future role for him, so I had hypothetical conversations. Yes, hypothetical conversations are speculative, but that type of conversation makes sense to me after hearing Morrow's comments on why he is transferring.

I'm not exactly dismissing him, I'm saying for us to compete at a high level, he would be a back-up post player. Not our best player. So, maybe that is why we went 12-18.

I went and looked at his game-logs, and he had some really nice games against high level competition (or teams that made the NCAA tournament), then he completely didn't show up in the stat sheet against some sub-par opponents that we ended up losing to.

Do I wish he was staying? Yes. Do I think we are lost without him? Absolutely not.

How many games did we win when he wasn't playing last year?

• Fire 1

I'm not exactly dismissing him, I'm saying for us to compete at a high level, he would be a back-up post player. Not our best player. So, maybe that is why we went 12-18.

I went and looked at his game-logs, and he had some really nice games against high level competition (or teams that made the NCAA tournament), then he completely didn't show up in the stat sheet against some sub-par opponents that we ended up losing to.

Do I wish he was staying? Yes. Do I think we are lost without him? Absolutely not.

Beat Purdue, does that count?

Beat Purdue, does that count?

BUT IT'S PUR-F*ING-DUE....WE SHOULD NEVER LOSE TO THAT PROGRAM......

Oh...wait....that's football.....sorry.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Ed Morrow