Morrow Departure a PR Hit for Miles

On the other hand, you wonder why he struggles to keep high-profile players in the fold. It's been a problem. You wonder if his connection with players is lacking. You wonder if his lackluster record at Nebraska is a credibility issue with players.

In the cases of both White and Morrow, their departures felt like votes of "no confidence" in the program's future. If Nebraska had won 20 games this season, and was building momentum toward an NCAA Tournament run in 2018, you have to think Morrow might have stuck around and somehow made it work.

Instead, he bolts his native Lincoln and Miles suddenly has a third open scholarship to fill. Wish him luck on the recruiting trail. He'll need it.

He didn't receive a contract extension after last season, and it would seem odd to give him one now. So, he will scour junior colleges and the graduate-transfer market in a weakened position, hoping to find a big man and a couple of shooters.

Opposing coaches will use the program's instability against Miles. They'll drive the point home with sledgehammers.

LJS

We are gonna need to get a grad transfer pf/C and a shooter that can stretch out the defense. Add in a backup point guard to that list unless Gill is the backup pg.

I feel like we would have been a deep team last year, with only 9-10 guys playing most likely, so here is the depth chart so far in my mind. That may be a factor why so many players like Morrow left, we have a crowded room.

Pg Watson/Gill/transfer

Sg Gill/Taylor/Akenton

SF Palmer/McVeigh

Pf Jackobsen/Roby

C Jordy/Copeland

Gill is better than Taylor in my mind.

Jordy will start at the 5, but Copeland may overtake him, also we do not know if Copeland will be eligible first semester.

At the least, Tim needs a back up point guard and another big in case Jordy/Copeland get injured.

McVeigh/Palmer is a toss up at this point, giving Palmer the edge because I feel like Jack plays better off the bench.

Nana may surprise people and play well this year, he is a 2/3 from what I have seen from him.

Jordy will play around 20 mins a game, depending on copelands status, so this is why we need a Juco big or a grad transfer to fill this role in case of injury. We might be able to survive with Jacobsen at the back up 5 for non conference play or go smaller and get up and down the floor(doubtful).

• Fire 1

We are gonna need to get a grad transfer pf/C and a shooter that can stretch out the defense. Add in a backup point guard to that list unless Gill is the backup pg.

I feel like we would have been a deep team last year, with only 9-10 guys playing most likely, so here is the depth chart so far in my mind. That may be a factor why so many players like Morrow left, we have a crowded room.

Pg Watson/Gill/transfer

Sg Gill/Taylor/Akenton

SF Palmer/McVeigh

Pf Jackobsen/Roby

C Jordy/Copeland

Gill is better than Taylor in my mind.

Jordy will start at the 5, but Copeland may overtake him, also we do not know if Copeland will be eligible first semester.

At the least, Tim needs a back up point guard and another big in case Jordy/Copeland get injured.

McVeigh/Palmer is a toss up at this point, giving Palmer the edge because I feel like Jack plays better off the bench.

Nana may surprise people and play well this year, he is a 2/3 from what I have seen from him.

Jordy will play around 20 mins a game, depending on copelands status, so this is why we need a Juco big or a grad transfer to fill this role in case of injury. We might be able to survive with Jacobsen at the back up 5 for non conference play or go smaller and get up and down the floor(doubtful).

Think Copeland plays more like a stretch 4. Don't think he will be a 5.

Probable opening day lineup:

Watson

Turner

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

Gill, McVeigh, Jacobsen, Palmer off the bench.

Think Turner will probably get replaced in that lineup by either Palmer or Gill by conference play.

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's a blast from the past. Ed Morrow has left Marquette.

He left Nebraska because he didn't want to play as an undersized 5, but then didn't spend his transfer/redshirt year working on his ball handling or outside shooting.  He was playing about 11 minutes a game and averaging 3.4 points & 3.4 rebounds per game & hadn't taken a three all season.