Tristan Gebbia

I'd point Gebbia to Ameer Abdullah.  Perhaps he could learn something about persistence.  Nobody except NU even recruited Ameer to play RB.  Ameer was overshadowed in the Husker recruiting class by 4* RB Aaron Green.  His freshman year Ameer was buried on the depth chart down around four spots or so.  And yet he's now in his fourth year in the NFL.  Led the league in kickoff return yards one year.    So there's that.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I don't like the mentality that he is one injury away from starting. Frost didn't recruit him and he isnt really the QB for this system. I think he should look elsewhere and find a better offensive fit. Best of luck to him either way. 

What good is it to miss practice today and walk away?

If he does, he sits out a year.  He's already redshirted.  He could transfer and sit out this year again.  That would make it two full years of missing any form of actual live football.  Some coaches might take him walking away from this team right now as a negative.

Meanwhile, if he stays, he plays at least some this year and possibly, if injury or Martinez struggles, he could end up starting some games this year.  He proves he either is the starter here or he proves to another coach that he's a team player and can compete.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Answer me this.

What good does it do for him to miss practice today?

I would guess it has more to do with him already having his mind pretty much made up.  Plus, he’s probably upset about the whole situation, so practice (with the 2s), probably isn’t going to make those feelings better.  

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If he does, he sits out a year.  He's already redshirted.  He could transfer and sit out this year again.  That would make it two full years of missing any form of actual live football.  Some coaches might take him walking away from this team right now as a negative.

Meanwhile, if he stays, he plays at least some this year and possibly, if injury or Martinez struggles, he could end up starting some games this year.  He proves he either is the starter here or he proves to another coach that he's a team player and can compete.

Because he would save a year of eligibility.  He can transfer to a JUCO or to a D-1 school that hasn't started classes yet and be eligible to play next season as a RS Sophomore.

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

I'd point Gebbia to Ameer Abdullah.  Perhaps he could learn something about persistence.  Nobody except NU even recruited Ameer to play RB.  Ameer was overshadowed in the Husker recruiting class by 4* RB Aaron Green.  His freshman year Ameer was buried on the depth chart down around four spots or so.  And yet he's now in his fourth year in the NFL.  Led the league in kickoff return yards one year.    So there's that.  

I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure this is an apt comparison.  It's pretty rare nowadays that one RB gets all the carries so if you've got talent, you'll get reps.  Plus, you can always contribute on special teams and make an impact that way.  If you're a QB and you're not the guy....especially when the other guy is a freshman...it's a tough road.  I think @Mavric has mentioned this (and I agree with him), there can only be one QB on the field and whoever is the top dog is going to soak up a ton of reps.

• Plus1 1
Just now, TopNDoorsOff said:

He can speed up his sit out time by a year if he does things fast enough.  I love the kid(I named my dog Gebbia).  As much as I want him to stay, if I am him Nebraska isn't getting me to the league.  

No, that's only if he doesn't play on Saturday.  He gains nothing by missing practice today other than possibly losing respect from players and coaches.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Because he would save a year of eligibility.  He can transfer to a JUCO or to a D-1 school that hasn't started classes yet and be eligible to play next season as a RS Sophomore.

1 minute ago, TopNDoorsOff said:

He can speed up his sit out time by a year if he does things fast enough.  I love the kid(I named my dog Gebbia).  As much as I want him to stay, if I am him Nebraska isn't getting me to the league.  

Certainly not by giving up on the QB race less than 24hrs after the starter is named and 5 days before kickoff.

• Plus1 3

Probably safe to say that he won't be around next year, only question is whether he'll still be around this year.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Answer me this.

What good does it do for him to miss practice today?

If he's looking to transfer now, he needs to do it ASAP. For all we know, he spent the morning sending messages out to other coaches.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

I would guess it has more to do with him already having his mind pretty much made up.  Plus, he’s probably upset about the whole situation, so practice (with the 2s), probably isn’t going to make those feelings better.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Gebbia's dad had put out feelers to schools in/around California in case Tristan did lose the #1 QB job.

• Plus1 2

So what might his options be? Some NCAA teams DIV 1 have played a game already. It's not like he's going in somewhere, learning their playbook and being the starter anytime soon. He could win the starter job for his Jr./Sr. years but is it going to be in an offense that gets him as much exposure as Frost's - in the Big10 - with their own network?

I think he's being shortsighted if he leaves. However, the silver-lining to all of this (if he leaves) is because Gebbia knows (better than anybody) how much better A.M. is for this offense than he is. That's what he's saying if he leaves.

Frankly, I thought Frost looked a little bit shook, but he has to stick by his principles:
1) care about the kids and help them do what is best for them
2) want to "go to war" with players who are about the team and not just themselves

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If he does, he sits out a year.  He's already redshirted.  He could transfer and sit out this year again

That's the good of transferring today/ASAP. He needs to sit a year wherever he goes, save A JUCO. Do it now and sit out this year or stay and play a few snaps for the Huskers this year, then sit out next year elsewhere. 

This was for this year's starter for fans, but for TG, it was likely for the starting job for the next 4 years. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is no guarantee of this.  

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia