Tristan Gebbia

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

None of that has anything to do with Gebbia - or any QB's - decision to transfer.  Everyone wishes they had two QBs.  Most places don't.  That's just how it is.  Were you expecting Gebbia to stay because some guy who played before he was born decided not to transfer?

And since you keep bringing up Berringer, how did that decision (to stay) work out for him?  He took the same chance that you're saying Gebbia should take.  Berringer barely played.  He had 333 total yards and no TDs in 9 games.  It might make you feel better about your argument to say that we wouldn't have won the 1995 title without Berringer, but that is completely false.  We pretty much did.

You  broke up my post and then twisted it. And I don’t keep being up Berringer, I did once. You obviously weren’t around in 95 as Brook B was thought to be the QB picked highest the two in the draft-and maybe the only QB

and it’s pretty tacky to bring up Berringers fate in this argument with no outcome. Like really tacky 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, skersfan said:

I am just guessing here, but it did not sould like Coach Frost expected this to happen.  

I can agree he wasn't recruited by this staff and I think with that situation you should be able to leave, but leaving at the appropriate time should have been considered.  Waiting until the last week to up and walk off is not fair to the team.  Remember this a team sport.    

There are a lot of kids on the team, I would imagine that were on the Gebbia side.  How will they respond to this.  This leaving affects the team and the last thing we needed was anything planned to cause a problem.  Meaning if I don't get the starting job, I am leaving.  

Judging by the some of the players' reactions, I don't think there were sides. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

You  broke up my post and then twisted it. And I don’t keep being up Berringer, I did once. You obviously weren’t around in 95 as Brook B was thought to be the QB picked highest the two in the draft-and maybe the only QB

and it’s pretty tacky to bring up Berringers fate in this argument with no outcome. Like really tacky 

I didn't break up your post nor twist it.  And I was definitely around in 95.  I'm fully aware that he was a likely NFL pick.  We're talking about whether he should should stay here and see if he gets to play.  Berringer stayed and didn't get to play.

There was an outcome.  He barely got to play in 1995.  His untimely death has nothing to do with that.

39 minutes ago, Branno said:

This kid has 4 years to demonstrate his value to the NFL, and your suggestion is he stay at NU on the off chance the true freshman starter that beat him out either doesn’t pan out or gets injured. 

If he stays, that’d be great. But he needs to do whatever it takes to set himself up for life after college. And if he wants to be in the NFL, he needs to be the starter. 

I think he would be better suited staying at Nebraska though the 2018 season than going to a junior college. If you're saying he instantly enrolls at another power five program this fall, then I have a bit less of a problem with that.

Still though, the last decade at Nebraska has essentially proven that running QBs rarely stay healthy for a whole season. So if he stayed, he probably would have started at least once. Maybe even for half a season. That looks better on tape and on his resume than immediately going to a Juco for one season. And there's no guarantee that whatever FBS school he eventually goes to will be any better of a situation.

• Plus1 1

You know, when Tommy was declared the starter over Brook Berringer  he didn't pack up and leave the program.  Instead he worked his tail off, both for himself but also for the TEAM.  He wanted to be a Husker. Gebbia has shown that he really did not care about the Huskers in the end.

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I didn't break up your post nor twist it.  And I was definitely around in 95.  I'm fully aware that he was a likely NFL pick.  We're talking about whether he should should stay here and see if he gets to play.  Berringer stayed and didn't get to play.

There was an outcome.  He barely got to play in 1995.  His untimely death has nothing to do with that.

He started in 7 games in 94, threw something like 1200 plus yards in those games, played in quarters 2 and 3 of the national championship game.  He had a big role in that season and in spite of only seeing mop up duty in 95- was still considered to be an early to mid round pick in the draft.  He was wise to stay. 

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

He started in 7 games in 94, threw something like 1200 plus yards in those games, played in quarters 2 and 3 of the national championship game.  He had a big role in that season and in spite of only seeing mop up duty in 95- was still considered to be an early to mid round pick in the draft.  He was wise to stay. 

He was considered a likely NFL draft pick IN SPITE of his decision to stay.  There was nothing about his decision to stay that made him a more likely NFL draft choice.  It (would have) worked out for him.

You still have one example of one guy from over 20 years ago.  There are always outliers.  Those stories are 1 in 1000 (maybe).

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

He is going to go to a JUCO so he can get some playing experience this year.  If he goes to another D1 he has to sit this year.  That would mean he wouldn't have taken a game snap in 2 seasons and never in college.  He will go JUCO and I would guess have a very good year.

If he decides to go the juco rout, where? He will most likely have to learn a new system as he goes through this season, and he may not be ready to start until way later in the season. If he transfers to another Power Five school, he has a year to learn their system and be better prepared for 2019 than if goes one year to a juco school. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He was considered a likely NFL draft pick IN SPITE of his decision to stay.  There was nothing about his decision to stay that made him a more likely NFL draft choice.  It (would have) worked out for him.

You still have one example of one guy from over 20 years ago.  There are always outliers.  Those stories are 1 in 1000 (maybe).

Maybe he couldn't get a better offer.  What if he transferred and then wasn't the starter there?  He'd been up a creek with no paddle

what number #2 QB(for us) has left within five days of the first game?  I wish Bunch had all those reps. 

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia