Tristan Gebbia

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Say what you want about Mike Riley, but when he convinces a recruit to sink on the ship with him they'll even follow him to another sinking ship!

Riley is even more talented than I thought if he’s able to convince a recruit to another sinking ship after Riley jumped overboard from that ship a few months ago. 

Just goes to show players commit to coaches more than anything. I think coach Frost wants to change that. He wants guys committing to the university of Nebraska. To this state. To the people.

When recruits visit and there's 85k Husker fans and we treat them like one of our own, its a unique experience and can tip the scale in our favor. Frost isn't making it about him. I find that to be quite the contrast compared to the rest of the B1G head coaches. 

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Wow! TG to OSU with MR. MR wouldn't let TG play even when his starting QB was setting records for ineptness.

To save him a year of eligibility...

28 minutes ago, FTW said:

Just goes to show players commit to coaches more than anything. I think coach Frost wants to change that. He wants guys committing to the university of Nebraska. To this state. To the people.

Frost, like any coach, is a person that a player has a personal and close relationship with. The university is an institution. The state is an institution. The people (fans) are people, but they're mostly faceless, nameless people.

Players should commit to coaches. Coaches are the people and the factor that really make the difference for them. Committing to the university, the state, or the fans would be fairly stupid. Those things don't matter nearly as much. Not to mention if Frost were to be fired or leave in the future, I guarantee a lot of recruits would decommit and a lot of players would transfer. As they probably should.

• Plus1 5
39 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Not really.   He's been replaced as the tight-ends coach and I gotta think he's busy helping with an upstart league.

"Starting Friday, Riley will stand near OSU's practice field every day during preseason camp. He'll serve the Beavers' program as a consultant, with a job description as long as a commercial lease. What Riley cannot do is coach, however. He'll be at practice to observe, while offering thoughts to coach Jonathan Smith and his staff."

"Riley says he will be with the Beavers through the end of the season, then head to San Antonio to coach its AAF team."

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2018/08/mike_riley_at_peace_with_decis.html

• Plus1 4
57 minutes ago, FTW said:

29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Players should commit to coaches. Coaches are the people and the factor that really make the difference for them. Committing to the university, the state, or the fans would be fairly stupid. Those things don't matter nearly as much. Not to mention if Frost were to be fired or leave in the future, I guarantee a lot of recruits would decommit and a lot of players would transfer. As they probably should.

You are both somewhat right I think.

Nebraska fans feel that kids should be commited 100% to NU itself, because we all love the school to death. Local kids who grow up feeling that way commit to the school itself. Hopefully that is on the rise again with Frost.

Nationally recruited kids commit to the coach unless there is some family tie.  A California kid that doesn't feel the same leve of connection to Nebraska as a kid from Wahoo who grew up rooting for NU is perfectly understandable.  

Timing sucks with Gebbia but it is what it is.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia