Tristan Gebbia

17 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

Frost's comments are interesting......."some of the decisions i agreed with, some i didn't"........i wonder how they reached this decision...show of hands?

Mario?? .........Frost having 2nd thoughts.......if he starts Gebbia and sits Martinez, does AM walk?     I doubt it.......

What on earth are you talking about?

Frost is talking about the decisions of the players who left the program. He is not talking about the decision on which players to start.

• Plus1 6

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I know this happens a lot.  But, there are also a lot of schools that can have two good QBs on the roster at the same time.

I'm sick and tired of sitting with one good QB and scared they are going to get hurt.

It seems worse because three of our last four starting quarterback have started as freshmen.  It's tougher to keep guys around and recruit new guys when it looks like the job won't really be open for the next 3-4 years.

Hopefully Martinez stays healthy this year.  Next year we should have two backups who are at least serviceable - Vedral and Bunch.  Plus our incoming 2019 QB - McCaffrey - is a great athlete but probably has some growing to do as a quarterback so hopefully he won't be so anxious to jump ship.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Branno said:

I'm sure he's extremely excited about handing the ball off with a few minutes left in the 4th quarter in the few blowouts we have for the next 4 years.

I can't blame Gebbia for exploring his options, I hope he sticks with the team but if put in the same situation would probably look for a place that would help me best achieve my goals. It would be selfish of us to expect or feel owed anything else.

I don’t think many are suggesting he stay here as a backup for 4 years. I think most are talking about him leaving now vs January. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know this happens a lot.  But, there are also a lot of schools that can have two good QBs on the roster at the same time.

I'm sick and tired of sitting with one good QB and scared they are going to get hurt.

I mean I know where you are coming from, but this is the norm in today's game. I am not ready to hit the panic button. If we can deal with Tommy and Ryker we can deal with this. We also have a lot better coaching and conditioning.

Sure wish Noah V didn't have to sit out this year.     Bunch looked decent in the spring game.  Let's hope he makes great strides now that the pressure is on him to be the #2 guy.

Speaking of Noah and also our 2019 high profile QB recruits - does naming AM as a potential 4 year starter cause 'pause' for these recruits knowing they may have to sit for maybe 3 years  before they get their chance?  Wt Noah, I doubt he would transfer and perhaps he is talented enough to win the job over AM next year. 

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

It seems worse because three of our last four starting quarterback have started as freshmen.  It's tougher to keep guys around and recruit new guys when it looks like the job won't really be open for the next 3-4 years.

Hopefully Martinez stays healthy this year.  Next year we should have two backups who are at least serviceable - Vedral and Bunch.  Plus our incoming 2019 QB - McCaffrey - is a great athlete but probably has some growing to do as a quarterback so hopefully he won't be so anxious to jump ship.

It will be interesting how Frost uses McCaffrey in 2019 (and even beyond).  Penn State used their super athlete, back-up QB at receiver last year, and I think he did a good job there.  He was able to come in and make some plays.

57 minutes ago, NUance said:

I'd point Gebbia to Ameer Abdullah.  Perhaps he could learn something about persistence.  Nobody except NU even recruited Ameer to play RB.  Ameer was overshadowed in the Husker recruiting class by 4* RB Aaron Green.  His freshman year Ameer was buried on the depth chart down around four spots or so.  And yet he's now in his fourth year in the NFL.  Led the league in kickoff return yards one year.    So there's that.  

The opportunity to play as a RB is far greater than at QB. Barring injury, TG's chances of unseating Martinez are only going to get smaller with the more experience that AM get in the offense. 

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It was a need before this, but now they really need to take another QB in this recruiting class. 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Give Frost some time to build the roster of QB's back up, and it will look better.  Next year already looks better with Vedral or Bunch serving as a capable backup, and McCaffrey being a wildcard in the QB room.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I fully understand that.

I have visions of Martinez now lasting about 4-5 games and then we get to watch a "serviceable" QB.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Sure wish Noah V didn't have to sit out this year.     Bunch looked decent in the spring game.  Let's hope he makes great strides now that the pressure is on him to be the #2 guy.

Speaking of Noah and also our 2019 high profile QB recruits - does naming AM as a potential 4 year starter cause 'pause' for these recruits knowing they may have to sit for maybe 3 years  before they get their chance?  Wt Noah, I doubt he would transfer and perhaps he is talented enough to win the job over AM next year. 

I'm hopeful it will be more stable going forward.  Our 2019 QB is Luke McCaffrey - brother of Christian.  He seems to be a really great athlete but this is his first year playing QB - he has been playing receiver up to now because the last two QBs at his HS have also gone to Power 5 schools (older brother is a QB at Michigan and last years' QB is now at Colorado).  So I would think he has some developing to do as a QB and maybe that will mean he's not as anxious to look around.  He would have already known that our starting QB this year was going to be a Freshman one way or the other and that didn't scare him away.

• Plus1 2

Staying healthy is a big part of the equation but we also need someone who continually pushes Martinez. Not that Martinez would need motivation or anything, I’m not saying that’s an issue, but constant competition helps everyone.

Sometimes a guy struggles or just doesn’t have it in a game and needs to be pulled. Felt a lot better about that potential situation with Gebbia on the roster. 2018 is going to have its fun moments but I still think patience will be the word of the season like we’ve heard about.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I mean I know where you are coming from, but this is the norm in today's game. I am not ready to hit the panic button. If we can deal with Tommy and Ryker we can deal with this. We also have a lot better coaching and conditioning.

There's a difference between "panic" and "disappointment".  I'm not panicking.  I'm disappointed.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia