Tristan Gebbia

from everything i've heard, Martinez has been the better QB in practice and it wasn't even close. 

i'd imagine gebbia has had this planned for a while, but was just waiting for the official word before moving on.

I think martinez is going to be the real deal. my only concern now is if he goes down with an injury, and we have no scholarship QBs to backup

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Sorry I don't normally walk the favorite line of this board, and won't on this.

I wonder if the staff knew this was going to happen.  It doesn't seem that way.  I have tried to understand how people think today, just don't understand the attitude if I am not the best I am out of here.  And most think that is the way it should be.  Accept that your not the better, player and make every effort to improve to be the best.  Not run away from a fight.  The rest of the team is depending on you.  Nebraska needs him, we as fans need him.  Too many years as a Jar Head, just dumber than a rock I guess, but to me a Quitter is a Quitter.  I think Coach Frost said it in his comments.  It isn't about you, it is about the team.  

I hear about a band of brothers, warriors but when the going gets tough the Gebbias of the world get going.  I don't wish any bad luck, but I really don't care where he ends up.  We have seen this for years.  Have any of the QB's that have left for greener pastures ever found them?  Finish what you start.  

I certainly get your point here though I think labeling him as a quitter is a leap as Gebbia wasn't recruited to run this type of offense.  I would be more inclined to your way of thinking if Nebraska was running a more pro style offense that was geared to Gebbia's strengths.

This is really no different than when a company gets bought out, brings in new management and drastically alters job duties but keeps titles the same.  Sure, you still may be 'xyz' job title, but your job duties have totally flipped and the biggest pieces of your job are no longer things you excel in.  Would you stick it out even though you really like your co-workers, your new boss and the culture or would you find a new job that is better suited to what you excel at?

I can't find the info off hand but is there a transfer rule criteria that if you no longer fit the scheme of the team you're on you can transfer with no penalty?  Or, did I completely make that up in my head?

18 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think the sooner that Riley's players are no longer a part of this program, the better off the program will be in the long run.  Simple.  

I don't have an issue with any player leaving for greener pastures.  I think the timing is rather selfish and not very sportsmanlike.  What ever happened to the art of competition and earning your spot by out working the other fella?  I think if he is that miffed by one start or non start, he should leave.  Don't need team cancers in year one of a new direction.  This will follow Gebbia thru out the rest of his college career, and now most coaches won't start him right away to see if he stays and commits or takes his ball and goes home!

I completely disagree with you here.  If I'm Gebbia I'm looking at it as, I couldn't beat this guy out when we were on equal footing and as Martinez settles into an offense that appears tailor made for his strengths that gap is going to get wider and wider.  Not to mention, every QB that gets recruited behind him will be better suited for what Frost and Co wants to do.

To call him a team cancer is just plain uniformed.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

it's not a selfish move. we don't even know what frost told him in their meeting. gebbia doesn't want to lose a full season of eligibility by staying here.

It’s the timing more than anything. Either Frost lead him on or he completely thought he was the guy.  Less than week until the first game. Did he really not consider he might be the backup? I guess we’ll never know. 

1 hour ago, Branno said:

It's selfish to ask him to sit out for two years so we can have a backup. If he leaves now at worst he sits for one and can play next season. At best, if he goes to a JUCO, he can play immediately this year and transfer back to D1 next year and play immediately.

We don't know he would have been the backup the whole season. Obviously he would have been in the opener, but there's no guarantee Martinez will stay healthy or would be productive. It's not a stretch to say Martinez could have shoulder problems or any other kind of injury.

It's also not a stretch to say Martinez could really struggle. True freshman don't have a great track record in college football history. Obviously there are exceptions, but I don't expect Martinez to light the Big 10 on fire in year one.

I'm not saying Gebbia should have just gritted his teeth and sat on the bench his whole career. But recent history strongly suggests that Gebbia could transfer in December and also start two or three games this fall. 

24 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Sorry I don't normally walk the favorite line of this board, and won't on this.

I wonder if the staff knew this was going to happen.  It doesn't seem that way.  I have tried to understand how people think today, just don't understand the attitude if I am not the best I am out of here.  And most think that is the way it should be.  Accept that your not the better, player and make every effort to improve to be the best.  Not run away from a fight.  The rest of the team is depending on you.  Nebraska needs him, we as fans need him.  Too many years as a Jar Head, just dumber than a rock I guess, but to me a Quitter is a Quitter.  I think Coach Frost said it in his comments.  It isn't about you, it is about the team.  

I hear about a band of brothers, warriors but when the going gets tough the Gebbias of the world get going.  I don't wish any bad luck, but I really don't care where he ends up.  We have seen this for years.  Have any of the QB's that have left for greener pastures ever found them?  Finish what you start.  

Scott Frost.  Troy Aikman.  Remember that these kids have 5 years to complete 4 years of playing time and then they either go to the NFL or they are done.  So, of course, they are going to do what is best for them.  Expecting him to sit around and be a back up is ridiculous.  Especially if he thinks he got screwed.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

I haven't read through he first 200 posts here, so I'm sure this at least partly rehashing things.

Anyways, I don't really blame Gebbia for wanting to leave, but it's kinds of an odd decision. Why not wait until the end of the regualr season? There's no guarantee that Martinez stays healthy. He could also get benched for struggling. Nebraska has had at least one game that the backup QB played extensively, either because of injury or ineffectiveness, each year since 2013.

2013: Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe each started at least once.

2014: Armstrong left both the Michigan State and Iowa games for a time.

2015: That Purdue game we all want to forget.

2016: Ryker started against Maryland and Tennessee and played a lot against OSU.

2017: Tanner Lee missed a bunch of the Minnesota game.

It seems short-sighted to me for Gebbia to leave right now when he could leave in December. Heck he might end up starting here for six games and become the full-time starter. Worst-case scenario, he transfers in December as a redshirt freshman and after sitting out can play two full years at his new school.

If he waits til the end of the year then he will have to sit out an additional year...

Dont agree or disagree with him leaving but I'm not sure many on here understand.  He has a very short window to transfer to save a year of eligibility.  If he transfers to another D1  school in the next 4 days, 2018 will be his year to sit out leaving him with a full 3 years of eligibility.  If he waits until December or even another week, he would forced to sit out his sophomore year leaving him with only 2 years at a new school.   It's really a simple decision if he feels he doesn't fit here.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

If he waits til the end of the year then he will have to sit out an additional year...

Yes, I understand that. But he's a redshirt freshman, not a redshirt junior. He still has a lot of time. And there's a strong chance he would have started at least one game this year. Maybe more. Maybe he would have ended up being the full-time starter. I understand that isn't the most likely scenario, but it isn't tinfoil stuff either.

Quarterbacks in running offenses get hurt all the time.

Just now, Hans Gruber said:

Yes, I understand that. But he's a redshirt freshman, not a redshirt junior. He still has a lot of time. And there's a strong chance he would have started at least one game this year. Maybe more. Maybe he would have ended up being the full-time starter. I understand that isn't the most likely scenario, but it isn't tinfoil stuff either.

I also think Frost and Co are smart enough to realize when a QB isn’t getting it done.  They might actually sit the starter to get coached up on the sideline or step back to see what’s missing.  Pretty confident TG would’ve got playing time. 

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Dont agree or disagree with him leaving but I'm not sure many on here understand.  He has a very short window to transfer to save a year of eligibility.  If he transfers to another D1  school in the next 4 days, 2018 will be his year to sit out leaving him with a full 3 years of eligibility.  If he waits until December or even another week, he would forced to sit out his sophomore year leaving him with only 2 years at a new school.   It's really a simple decision if he feels he doesn't fit here.

He could transfer to a school with the quarter system, and they don’t start until mid-to-late September. But, you are correct it’s not a lot of time.

43 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

The point is that head coach Scott Frost appears to use Tom Osborne as a coaching mentor and some would say that he’s  (meaning Frost) is recreating a 90’esque program. An era where 2 qbs, both with nfl potential, thrived and contributed. We would have never won 94/95 natties without both. 

So so if football’s changing, someone tell Coach Frost. Maybe he’ll change things to fit the times

None of that has anything to do with Gebbia - or any QB's - decision to transfer.  Everyone wishes they had two QBs.  Most places don't.  That's just how it is.  Were you expecting Gebbia to stay because some guy who played before he was born decided not to transfer?

And since you keep bringing up Berringer, how did that decision (to stay) work out for him?  He took the same chance that you're saying Gebbia should take.  Berringer barely played.  He had 333 total yards and no TDs in 9 games.  It might make you feel better about your argument to say that we wouldn't have won the 1995 title without Berringer, but that is completely false.  We pretty much did.

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I get that but he still will behind the 8 ball when Martinez returns.  Why not go somewhere where you know you'll be the starter? 

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia