Tristan Gebbia

9 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

There are a lot of people outside of huskerboard who aren't as accepting.  Like I said, would you stay in a company where you like your co workers aka team over transferring to another company where you could move up the ladder in a short time to possibly make a lot more money?

These kinds of posts are REALLY hard to take at face value.  You can certainly argue that TG doesn't owe NU anything, but it's hard to argue that he is making the best decision for himself on transferring?  What you are in essence arguing is that it is smart for TG to do everything in his power to try to make it into the NFL (for the chance of making a lot more money).  Here are the statistics (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics).

So the average NCAA football player has a 1.6% chance of making the NFL, but for the sake of argument I will be generous, and say that TG has a 3.5% chance of making the NFL.  As it states on the NCAA's website, athletes best hope for future success is to GET A DEGREE.  The best decision for TB would be to use his football playing gifts to get a full ride scholarship and enter a school with the best academic support and graduation rates for football players (UNL is consistently near the top 10 in this).  Worst case scenario he would get a free college education and degree, best case scenario he would get drafted in the NFL.  I don't mean to pick on your post, but there are so many people trying to use a "free market analogy" or a "business analogy" to explain these points.  Basically your analogy would be more accurate as....Would you leave a company you have been working at for a year with one of the highest proven rates of employee promotion and profit-sharing for a 3.5% chance to make a lot more money at another company?

• Plus1 1

Frost confirms Gebbia has been granted release

LINCOLN — As true freshman Adrian Martinez on Monday met the press as Nebraska’s starting quarterback, the man he beat for the job, Tristan Gebbia, appeared set to transfer.

Gebbia did not practice Monday, coach Scott Frost said, and he was no longer enrolled in classes according to the university registrar’s office. As of Monday afternoon, Frost still wanted Gebbia, a redshirt freshman, to stay, and an NU official called the situation “fluid” amid reports of Gebbia asking for his scholarship release.

Gebbia did not respond to multiple requests for comment from The World-Herald. His father, Rich, declined to take a phone call initially then didn’t respond to requests for comment. Multiple assistant coaches from four-year schools and junior colleges started following Gebbia’s Twitter account. NU next practices Tuesday morning.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Landlord said:

How many Brook Berringer's are there? What's the percentage of backups who stick it out and then get drafted in the NFL? Would love to see how common of an occurrence that is. 

At least two at Nebraska.  And Nebraska isn't known for NFL quarterbacks.  Aside from Brook Berringer (who *would* have been drafted) there was Bruce Mathison.  Mathison never started a game at Nebraska, but played five years in the NFL.  Even started a couple years in the NFL.    

9 hours ago, admo said:

I think you can put it together.

Terrible season ends

Terrible coach and staff terminated

New coach comes in from an undefeated season (and saught after)

Returning starting QB bails

POB bails (backup)

TG is given a fair chance to win the starting job

TG is talented, smart, and knows he has to beat out a true frosh that didn't play his SR year of HS bc of injury.

And the other competition are walkons.

Plan B is to bail if somehow he doesnt become starter. 

Go ball out and win the job, but have backup plan immediately ready to rollout and bail.

Nothing personal, just business 

I appreciate this take.  

For me, the thing is this:  These "just business"  guys are getting us these 5-7 records (thereabouts).  I don't want " just business" .  I want " just heart".

4 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

For me, the thing is this:  These "just business"  guys are getting us these 5-7 records.  I don't want " just business" .  I want " just heart".

Would AM have been a "just business" guy if he'd lost the job and transferred at some point in the next year? Because that probably would've happened.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If it's Tristan's dream to play in the NFL then who are any of us to tell him to not pursue that dream? 

His best shot at achieving that dream is to start for a team where the offense fits his skills. And that isn't Nebraska.

If he didnt feel Nebraska offense fit his skills, why didnt he transfer immediately after Frost was named the head coach? 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If it's Tristan's dream to play in the NFL then who are any of us to tell him to not pursue that dream? 

His best shot at achieving that dream is to start for a team where the offense fits his skills. And that isn't Nebraska.

I never said Tristan shouldn't follow his dream....my post simply stated that it shouldn't be framed in terms of as the best overall decision he could make for his future.  That is not clear.

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Jason Peter's take on Twitter:

Well no one ever claimed JP was a genus.

Things haven't been going Gebbia's way ever since Riley was fired. Clearly his first reaction wasn't to transfer - that notion is just wrong. Gebbia battled for the job, and then the odds were stacked against him even more on Saturday.

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing and expecting the results to change. It's a shame to see him go, but good to see that the guy has a head in his shoulders.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For perspective. Probably would see a lot of similar lists around CFB if we dug deeper.

Which is kinda the point @Thanks_Tom RR has been making.

Nice post, and yes, this is the reality of the QB position for many college programs.  If things stand as they are today, by 2021 we will have AM, McCaffrey, Smothers, and potentially other QBs on the roster.  If Smothers or somebody younger than Martinez or McCaffrey moves ahead on the depth chart, you are likely to see one of them bolt as well.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia