Tristan Gebbia

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Jason Peter can be a jerk.

I'm certain that didn't start this week.  He's never really cared for transferring QBs and their sensibilities.  They had to prove it in practice and on the field.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/the-story-of-scott-frost-s-love-hate-relationship-with/article_d23a0bb0-ba7f-11e7-85a1-07e004b8e998.html

As a transfer, Frost had to sit out the 1995 season. So he spent that year leading the scout team against a vicious defense that would help the Huskers claim a second straight national title. The Blackshirts also never failed to get in a few extracurricular shots on the turncoat quarterback.

Not one to back down, Frost got into several skirmishes, including one in which a Nebraska defender grabbed Frost by the face mask and tossed him. And he consistently clashed with the Peter brothers, the two hulking starters in the middle of the vaunted Husker defensive front. Scott once gave his parents this assessment of going up in practice each day against them: Jason hits harder, but Christian punches harder.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JKinney said:

These kinds of posts are REALLY hard to take at face value.  You can certainly argue that TG doesn't owe NU anything, but it's hard to argue that he is making the best decision for himself on transferring?  What you are in essence arguing is that it is smart for TG to do everything in his power to try to make it into the NFL (for the chance of making a lot more money).  Here are the statistics (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics).

So the average NCAA football player has a 1.6% chance of making the NFL, but for the sake of argument I will be generous, and say that TG has a 3.5% chance of making the NFL.  As it states on the NCAA's website, athletes best hope for future success is to GET A DEGREE.  The best decision for TB would be to use his football playing gifts to get a full ride scholarship and enter a school with the best academic support and graduation rates for football players (UNL is consistently near the top 10 in this).  Worst case scenario he would get a free college education and degree, best case scenario he would get drafted in the NFL.  I don't mean to pick on your post, but there are so many people trying to use a "free market analogy" or a "business analogy" to explain these points.  Basically your analogy would be more accurate as....Would you leave a company you have been working at for a year with one of the highest proven rates of employee promotion and profit-sharing for a 3.5% chance to make a lot more money at another company?

So, in essence, you're saying he shouldn't try what's best for him and he should forget about his dreams? Pretty sure he can find a full ride wherever he goes. Also, Gebbia will never be a starter here due to the schematic fit.  C'mon now.

• Mavric changed the title to Gebbia Not at Practice - Released to Transfer

I'm sure they produce plenty of talented kids there but the reality is we recruited kids for something that we are no longer doing.  No reason for our fan base to burn any bridges.  KJJ isn't speaking for the Calabasas team as a whole- I'm guessing they are pretty embarrassed by him.   

57 minutes ago, Branno said:

Nothing like telling a kid to not pursue his dream.

47 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

So, in essence, you're saying he shouldn't try what's best for him and he should forget about his dreams? Pretty sure he can find a full ride wherever he goes. Also, Gebbia will never be a starter here due to the schematic fit.  C'mon now.

Oh c'mon, no one is saying drop out of football and forget about the NFL, I am just saying set yourself up for the best possible scenario for your life, if your dream doesn't work out.  Gebbia could get a full ride anywhere, BUT he needs a good diploma in-case it doesn't work out)

Which choice would you recommend a loved one

College A.

Chance of making it to the NFL: 1.6%

Chance of graduation from football players: 81% (will make on average over 1 million dollars more over their lifetime then one without)

Ranking of team in College Football: 35

Ranking of team in Academic Support : 11

Cost of College: Free

College B.

Chance of making it to the NFL: 2.0%

Chance of graduation from football players: 55% (will make on average over 1 million dollars more over their lifetime then one without)

Ranking of team in College Football: 10

Ranking of team in Academic Support: 50

Cost of college: Free

The top college is UNL, the bottom is the average top ten ranked (in football) school. 

That said, no hard feelings if you disagree, this will be my last post fleshing it out.

• Plus1 1

I didnt read all of the comments on this thread, but it could be possible that the TG felt like the staff delayed their decision to hold him in camp as long as possible to prevent a transfer. Either way its OK.  We will roll with what we got.  A guy that quits on you a week before the first game probably wasnt in it for the right reasons.  I am sure we have a few Dual threats on the squad they can coach up if need be.  

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

I thought Frost handled the QB competition fairly.  He told both QB's that it would be an open competition, and as it got near the end he said that both would play in 2018.  Maybe Frost was being unrealistic if he was surprised or upset at Gebbia's decision to transfer.  That's about the only thing I could fault Frost with this situation.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia