Tristan Gebbia

I am hoping that what ever the QB starter status is for this year, that we have the kind of success that makes a kid like Gebbia want to stay here just to be part of the team. Seems to me there would only be two real reasons a good player stays. Either they are starting, or the team achievements make just 'being here' worth the wait.

POB is in trouble. That's all I know. Lee looks like he has NFL potential and Gebbia just put on a show.

Yes, it was against a vanilla scheme without the possibility of contact, so it's not the same thing, but anyone with eyes can see he has the skills to play immediately at this level.

• Fire 3

"Right now what he is headed for is what Patrick (O'Brien) headed for a year ago," Riley said after Saturday's Red-White Spring Game. "We would like to redshirt Tristan, but we only have four quarterbacks right at this time."

Gebbia, who threw 45 passes working with the reserves during the final practice, currently stands behind Tanner Lee and O'Brien.

The health of those quarterbacks figures to be the main decider in making sure Gebbia can grow behind the scenes for one more year.

"He will ready himself to be the third-string quarterback, and we would hope that he would not play. That would be our approach," Riley said. "And once we reach some point in the season, and that is all clean, and looks like it did when it started, then we'd say, 'OK, we're going to find another angle here on how to do this.'"

LJS

POB is in trouble. That's all I know. Lee looks like he has NFL potential and Gebbia just put on a show.

Yes, it was against a vanilla scheme without the possibility of contact, so it's not the same thing, but anyone with eyes can see he has the skills to play immediately at this level.

The gap between Lee and POB is not wide. And Gebbia has obvious deficiencies that a redshirt year will help to shore up.

• Fire 2

I just heard the announcer call him "Jebbia"...I've been calling him "Gebbia".....we need some kind of symbol to designate whether it's a hard or soft G. Like G'ebbia.

Yeah, the 'g' in Gebbia is pronounced like in giraffe, gerbil, and GIF. :)

• Fire 1

I saw a lot of Johnny Manziel in Gebbia. He's a baller. You wouldn't call him a running QB, but if you're stupid enough to leave 15 yards of field open, or a path to the pylon, he'll take it pretty fearlessly.

And as an 18 year old, he understands basic footwork better than our last two starting quarterbacks did as Seniors, and maybe the whole decision making process, too.

I'm not a scholar of Spring Games or anything, but I remember them mostly as a lot of sloppy play mixed with moments of exciting potential because hey, it's only spring. I thought all three QBs ran really crisp offenses yesterday. No jitters. Few f-ups. Solid execution. Nice play action.

It might change in a real game when they do things like call holding penalties, which went pretty much unchecked yesterday.

• Fire 1

I saw a lot of Johnny Manziel in Gebbia. He's a baller. You wouldn't call him a running QB, but if you're stupid enough to leave 15 yards of field open, or a path to the pylon, he'll take it pretty fearlessly.

And as an 18 year old, he understands basic footwork better than our last two starting quarterbacks did as Seniors, and maybe the whole decision making process, too.

I'm not a scholar of Spring Games or anything, but I remember them mostly as a lot of sloppy play mixed with moments of exciting potential because hey, it's only spring. I thought all three QBs ran really crisp offenses yesterday. No jitters. Few f-ups. Solid execution. Nice play action.

It might change in a real game when they do things like call holding penalties, which went pretty much unchecked yesterday.

the footwork is so great to see. What a blessing when your QB throws from his front foot

» 74: Spring game passing yards from Cody Green, true freshman early enrollee quarterback, in 2009 — his first spring on campus. Last spring, O’Brien threw for 59 yards.

Tristan Gebbia threw for 268 yards. He had many more chances than Green or O’Brien, but the coaches also saw fit to afford him those chances. Gebbia can handle a lot for a freshman.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-huskers-still-have-to-identify-top-playmakers-but-good/article_f9e44089-6576-5065-996e-e7178b053733.html

• Fire 1

» 74: Spring game passing yards from Cody Green, true freshman early enrollee quarterback, in 2009 — his first spring on campus. Last spring, O’Brien threw for 59 yards.

Tristan Gebbia threw for 268 yards. He had many more chances than Green or O’Brien, but the coaches also saw fit to afford him those chances. Gebbia can handle a lot for a freshman.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-huskers-still-have-to-identify-top-playmakers-but-good/article_f9e44089-6576-5065-996e-e7178b053733.html

I had to do a double-check when I saw he threw 45 times on Saturday.

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia