Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

On 4/12/2019 at 11:49 AM, RedDenver said:

Second, does the title give away the plot/twist?

On 4/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, Landlord said:

Don't think so. There's a lot of ways that could go. It could be referring to Kylo. It could be Luke as legend teased at the end of VIII. Or Luke could have had kids that aren't Rey, etc.

This is pretty hair-brained, but hearing Palpatine's laugh at the end has me thinking of all kinds of wild ideas. Maybe Palpatine's corrupted force ghost/spirit thing is trapped in the wreckage of the Death Star but has been manipulating behind the scenes for decades and he created Rey in the similar way that it's been intimated that he created Anakin?

That was the most interesting part to me.  They've made quite the to-do about this being the "end of the Skywalker saga" for some time.  Surely they can't be going back on all that.  :confucius

I do think throwing Palpatine in there might hint that both he and Luke will be "back" in some form or fashion.  That would fit the trailer and title.  I'm assuming it's not Kylo for the reason listed above.  And I don't think it's Luke's kids (of any sort) for the same reason.

I think they'll stick to what they've said and wrap up Luke and Leia in this movie - though probably significantly different from where we left off the last movie.  And we'll find out something different about Rey's parents but no connection to existing (major) characters so that her story can go on even after the Skywalker saga is complete.

I've had so many fixed feelings about the most recent saga. TFA was entertaining but had way too many ANH similarities for my tastes. Then, much of the promise of Rey's story was fairly well obliterated in TLJ (if you can't tell, I didn't think that was a good movie). This one looks promising and I'm glad JJ is back, but part of me feels this saga will ultimately leave much to be desired. It already has in several ways.

All that said, I'm still hype AF to go see this.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

-Not stoked about the name, feels click baity... 

-the teaser was a little bland, but did give glimpses of some pretty exciting stuff

-The Palpatine cackle is intriguing as is the Death Star remnants

-No hints of Snoke being resurrected

-The red sky Kylo scene is a flashback FYI, he has no scar on his face

-This will assuredly NOT be a ROTJ remix, half of ROTJ sucks

-Really hoping they retcon the Luke death and show that his presence on Ahch-To was also a force projection, he was actually on Dagobah the whole time.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I'm laughing at the giant middle finger JJ would be extending towards Rian Johnson and TLJ.

Well in hindsight it should have been Leia that was the big death in TLJ.  Unfortunately we got Space Poppins....

There are going to be a lot of middle fingers to Rian I get the feeling.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Redux said:

Well in hindsight it should have been Leia that was the big death in TLJ.  Unfortunately we got Space Poppins....

There are going to be a lot of middle fingers to Rian I get the feeling.

One of the things that annoys me is that Mr. Johnson went back and forth on whether he should kill Luke or not at the end. Unfortunately I'm unable to locate where he said that (it might have been the documentary he made for TLJ).

9 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

The hype for the new trailer made me go back and finally watch Solo. It wasn't as bad as I heard/feared. 

Solo was entertaining, at least. It felt like a Star Wars movie to me. It felt more like Star Wars than TLJ did, IMO.

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Solo was entertaining, at least. It felt like a Star Wars movie to me. It felt more like Star Wars than TLJ did, IMO.

Solo was a fun movie. It will not go down as one of the all time great films in cinema history, but it was a hell of a lot more more fun than TLJ and didn't take itself too seriously. Even better, it told its story without screwing up other parts of Star Wars canon.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker