Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Kind of piecing things together I wonder if they aren't holding the biggest twist back.

Not necessarily a spoiler since I don't know anything but just in case people don't want to know anything going in, my probably-wrong theory is:

Hide contents

"The Rise of Skywalker" will be Anakin returning to finish off the Emperor.  They've made a big deal of the Emperor coming back and haven't hidden that at all.  So it would only make sense that they are holding something equal or bigger back for the movie.  My guess is it's Anakin.  

Lucas claimed that the saga wasn't really Luke's story - even though that's how it might seem if you only look at Episides IV-VI.  But when you add I-III, it shows how it was really Anakin's story of fall and redemption.  If you bring the Emperor back (even if he's defeated again), the ending of Episode VI loses a lot of it's significance.  But if the Emperor can come back to try to finish his plan, why can't Anakin come back to put a final end to it?  And, thus, "The Rise of Skywalker".

What I have heard; read at your own risk:  

Spoiler

- The Palpatine in the OT was a clone. 

- Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter.

- Palpatine kills Kylo Ren after he comes back to the Light Side. 

- Palpatine blows up the Millenium Falcon and a majority of the Resistance Fleet with force lightning. 

- Rey channels every Jedi we've met and defeats the Emperor. 

- Rey returns to Jakku and begins calling herself Rey Skywalking

....among other things. 

Hadn't heard of or thought about a return of Anakin, it's intriguing but seems unlikely (not as unlikely as some of what cdog wrote though). Only thing I'll say for no real reason because it's not really an argument just a thought but the entire story of Star Wars isn't a story about Anakin all the way through even if George wants to say it is. The OT trilogy is absolutely about Luke. There's zero character development and barely any character for Vader outside of "bad guy" for at least 1.25 of those movies, so they obviously aren't specifically about him."

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Hide contents

Hadn't heard of or thought about a return of Anakin, it's intriguing but seems unlikely (not as unlikely as some of what cdog wrote though). Only thing I'll say for no real reason because it's not really an argument just a thought but the entire story of Star Wars isn't a story about Anakin all the way through even if George wants to say it is. The OT trilogy is absolutely about Luke. There's zero character development and barely any character for Vader outside of "bad guy" for at least 1.25 of those movies, so they obviously aren't specifically about him."

Spoiler

That's because George did an awful job at getting the audience to identify with Anakin's character arc in the PT. There's a series of videos on YouTube where a guy goes through and makes changes to the PT to blend the character arc of Obi Wan in the PT with Luke in the OT, and making Anakin's arc extend over the PT and the OT. If you're interested, here's the first video: 

Early reviews are mixed. No spoilers in this link, but not really anything of substance either.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/12/17/star-wars-rise-skywalker-first-reactions-j-j-abrams-finale/2672233001/?fbclid=IwAR1_Xc3bCzj5k0FHax2QBGLKSkQOKin0rqlR9mdA0wbWd9RWdoFUU-htipY

I mean, even if the reviews are absolutely horrible, we're all going to be in line to see it anyway, right?

43 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Early reviews are mixed. No spoilers in this link, but not really anything of substance either.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/12/17/star-wars-rise-skywalker-first-reactions-j-j-abrams-finale/2672233001/?fbclid=IwAR1_Xc3bCzj5k0FHax2QBGLKSkQOKin0rqlR9mdA0wbWd9RWdoFUU-htipY

I mean, even if the reviews are absolutely horrible, we're all going to be in line to see it anyway, right?

Yep. I read the plot leaks, and everything I've read this morning seems to confirm it's accuracy. I also have tickets for Friday night. 

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

The mixed reviews are a good sign.  Reviewers aren't necessarily Star Wars fans.  Remember most critics liked The Last Jedi.   

It's funny but I bought tickets for the wife and I for this Friday months ago.  I love Star Wars and am definitely enjoying the Mandalorian but I can't say I'm really stoked at all for this movie at all...  I wish I were!  Oh well.  We will go and still have fun and who knows.  Maybe I'll like it more than I am expecting.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Only thing I've heard so far is that it feels like an apology for the last jedi and a sequel for the force awakens, which is simultaneously what i was afraid of and what i was hoping for???

Rian Johnson did a terrible, terrible number on this trilogy. Some of you might remember me defending TLJ and explaining how I thought it was really good. I was duped. It's a terrible garbage film.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Only thing I've heard so far is that it feels like an apology for the last jedi and a sequel for the force awakens, which is simultaneously what i was afraid of and what i was hoping for???

I've not been reading any of the actual spoilers but this was my guess.  Hopefully it works out OK.

35 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Rian Johnson did a terrible, terrible number on this trilogy. Some of you might remember me defending TLJ and explaining how I thought it was really good. I was duped. It's a terrible garbage film.

The true redemption story: The Rise of @Landlord

• Haha 2
39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

79797309_2934181903281736_42155730044673

Holy s#!t. 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:45 PM, Mavric said:

I've not been reading any of the actual spoilers but this was my guess.  Hopefully it works out OK.

The true redemption story: The Rise of @Landlord

On 12/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, Landlord said:

Guys: while watching it last night, I think I fixed The Last Jedi.