Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Interesting theory.  Plausible.  But I don't think so.

I think it's probably going out of it's way to try to make sense of a plot that doesn't make sense.  It does tie it all together, but it's about as much of a stretch as trying to make a coherent plot out of VII and VIII.  

Does Qi'ra have any Force sensitivity?  It claims ties to the Dark Side but that's only a business relationship as far as I remember.  If neither of Rey's parents seem to be Force sensitive, they haven't really gained anything other than being a half-brother to Kylo.  Which is what they use to try to tie the two together like Luke and Leia.  But Luke and Leia had a Jedi/Sith for a father so that's why they are both Force sensitive and have a connection.  It would be another stretch.

The part about how Leia treats Rey in VII is plausible but it's far from the only explanation.  Han's treatment is more circumstantial than anything.  I think they both would have acted differently in trying to protect her if they knew who's daughter she was.  If she is Han's daughter that he doesn't know about, wouldn't their be much more of a reaction?  If he does know about her, why was she just left there?  And why is is so shocked to re-discover the Falcon if he knew it was there.  Not working.

Finally - and mostly - it has been spoken about several times that Episode XI will be the "End of they Skywalker saga".  Assuming that's true, that only leaves two options.  Either Rey isn't Leia's daughter or she dies in the film.  The latter would seem to be a waste of the supposed storylines in VII and VIII.  The former would mean the theory is wrong.

Sell

• Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Episode IX has a lot of work to do to tie the story back together after Rian Johnson tried to peel apart everything that Abrams tried to set up in TFA. I honestly don't know what to expect, and Ep VIII did not exactly generate a lot of enthusiasm to see the next episode (which nevertheless I am going to see, of course, because I'm a nerd).

• 2 months later...

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Second, does the title give away the plot/twist?

Don't think so. There's a lot of ways that could go. It could be referring to Kylo. It could be Luke as legend teased at the end of VIII. Or Luke could have had kids that aren't Rey, etc.

This is pretty hair-brained, but hearing Palpatine's laugh at the end has me thinking of all kinds of wild ideas. Maybe Palpatine's corrupted force ghost/spirit thing is trapped in the wreckage of the Death Star but has been manipulating behind the scenes for decades and he created Rey in the similar way that it's been intimated that he created Anakin?

• Mavric changed the title to Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker